Poll: Do you think we should expect voice dialing out of the box on the N900, or can Nokia expect the maem
Poll Options
Do you think we should expect voice dialing out of the box on the N900, or can Nokia expect the maem

The N900 does not come with voice dialing out of the box. Here we have the new top of the line flagship phone from Nokia, the world's largest mobile phone company, and I want them to provide voice dialling for it. However, perhaps they expect the community to make it happen. What is your view? Would you want Nokia to provide it, or do you believe Nokia can expect the maemo community to provide it?

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-14 at 16:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
What if it's not a feature that you are particularly interested in?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
What if it's not a feature that you are particularly interested in?
You want balanced polls?

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by range View Post
You want balanced polls?
Well the thread is called "do you want voice dialing on the n900". I would assume "no" would be an option.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Yes, granted. I first considered three optional answers, where "I don't want it" was the third answer, but decided to leave it out and focus on what I see as the key issue, i.e. how does the community see that it's likely to happen - i.e. I have an agenda. I still kept the title as I want maemo members attention and the alternative seemed less clear in its statement. There could be another poll for want/don't want.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-14 at 16:25.

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Yes, granted. I first considered three optional answers, where "I don't want it" was the third answer, but decided to leave it out and focus on what I see as the key issue, i.e. how to make it happen. I still kept the title as the alternative seemed less clear in its statement. There could be another poll for want/don't want.
That's what I figured, just busting your chops ;-) I think I'd have to go with both answers personally.

The phone functionality has often been described as an afterthought and I think a little polish from Nokia would go a long way for how the device is received in the mainstream. People expect things like MMS and voice dialing these days (and people also don't consider that anyone might have a differing opinion/usage pattern than themselves).

As for the second option, seeing a community developed solution would be really awesome, even if it was in addition to something Nokia came up with. This is one of the things that really drew me to the N900. Every time I browse through this forum and see some cool idea posted, or evolved into a project I'm really impressed and glad that I chose to go with a device like the N900.

Do I want it? Yes, it could come in handy. Do I use it? Nope never got it to work on any of my cellphones reliably. It's faster for me to speeddial a person.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
That's what I figured, just busting your chops ;-) I think I'd have to go with both answers personally.

The phone functionality has often been described as an afterthought and I think a little polish from Nokia would go a long way for how the device is received in the mainstream. People expect things like MMS and voice dialing these days (and people also don't consider that anyone might have a differing opinion/usage pattern than themselves).

As for the second option, seeing a community developed solution would be really awesome, even if it was in addition to something Nokia came up with. This is one of the things that really drew me to the N900. Every time I browse through this forum and see some cool idea posted, or evolved into a project I'm really impressed and glad that I chose to go with a device like the N900.
I agree. The potential of the N900 is just mindblowing, and to my mind seems better than any other phone out there. If I were a Linux programmer there is no doubt in my mind I would get this unit. The fact is, I'm not, and stillI got interested in it. I was all set to get a WinMo device (still may). I like anything that provides choice.

There are existing features on the N900, such as VOIP calls with web cam that I find really, really convincing and can almost be enough for me to buy the phone outright. There's also a little bit of a revolutionary aspect to it that I believe only a company such as Nokia could make happen (I certainly hope they stick with that VOIP enabled cam), which really appeals to me. The maemo user community is part of that, as well.

However, there are also some omissions on the N900 that just seem daft if they want to have mass appeal, which I believe it will need to be a revolutionary item or killer app, and not just stay within an inner circle of tech savvy people. I do understand that the next gen may be different, but why not make it happen right now?

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-14 at 16:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
My E65 does it. I asumed N900 does it to.
Voice control is good when you've no hand
free and can not look at the phone.

Driving a car is such a situation.

Using the E65 you've to press a small button on
the side. This is not easy without looking at
the phone.

A nice feature when it is done well.

wire-less

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wire-less For This Useful Post:
I totally agree. Driving is one such scenario. I use the BT head set all the time. Furthermore I believe it's better from a radiation stand-point. Convenience as well - leave the unit safely stashed away when it's not necessary to take it out. The lack of a convenient voice dial service is one reason I did not get the HTC TP2 - you have to activate the phone in order to use the wire-less head set.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-14 at 17:16.