First off. I'm in Chicago, wife is in Toronto. I bought this unlocked N900 from Amazon for her so she can use it up there. I read all the raves and reviews before purchasing the phone. Now that she's been using it on the Rogers network, she has nothing but problems. I'm in the information technology field so I work with smart phones frequently and this has been the one with the most issues I've encountered so far. So let me list the problems out here:

- Wi-Fi does NOT connect to open public access points after I did the last software update. I've tried this in the city of Chicago and it would try to connect then error out without an IP address. Great wi-fi stack in Linux/Maemo? I'm starting to doubt that.

- SMS text messages have the incorrect time stamp. Another problem that's only specific to Rogers and Fido networks. She took the phone to a Rogers store and the people just blame it on the phone. I read a bug track about this and Nokia blamed it on the SMS operator/center or Rogers/Fido network. Still not fixed.

- MMS messages not supported natively without installing fMMS. AND it does not work on Rogers network unless you have a data plan. Not resolved. She is paying $15 monthly in order to get picture text messages. The Rogers people got it to a point that it can receive but she still can't send without getting onto the data network and getting charged extra.

I'm going to take the phone back from her next time I see her and it will sit on my desk until someone answers all these questions. We've had nothing but arguments about this phone, and I've just about had it. I don't think I should have marriage counseling because a cell phone isn't working!

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
What version firmware do you have?

whatever the last update was. I'm no super expert on this. She came to Chicago for Halloween and I installed whatever OS update that was in Applications.

The wi-fi worked on the old software, but broke after I did the software update.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
1-try to change your wifi settings
2-definetly her operators fault
3-i used fmms long time ago and i know it can be a pain.Now i send pics vie email and if i want to share some vids or files i upload them to a free filesharing site like- uploaded.to

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

1. And are you referring to turning the power saving feature off? And why would I need to do anything to tweak it if it worked on the older software, but not working on the newer software? (starting to sound like iPhone 4 folkes)

2. Unfortunately the operator blames the phone and they aren't going to fix. My wife uses text messages a lot and i'm ready to sell the phone for something else.

3. Unacceptable. She doesn't have a data plan and doesn't intend to get one either. Data plan is $80 a month in Canada, unlike US where unlimited plans roam the earth. Secondly, not everyone uses e-mail to exchange pictures, they just want to attach and send to a phone number.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by n900fan75 View Post
1. And are you referring to turning the power saving feature off? And why would I need to do anything to tweak it if it worked on the older software, but not working on the newer software? (starting to sound like iPhone 4 folkes)
Hi there. I'm using my N900 on Fido and I can empathize with you. However, I don't think I'm experiencing the WiFi issue and I do have the latest firmware. What I have found is this...some public hotspots "confuse" the N900 and won't connect, unless you create a "Connection" for them through Settings > Internet Connections. Then they will connect. In my opinion, it's definitely an N900 issue, since my laptop doesn't have such a problem.

2. Unfortunately the operator blames the phone and they aren't going to fix. My wife uses text messages a lot and i'm ready to sell the phone for something else.
While this might be the phone's fault, it seems to me Fido's voice mail and text services seem to be non-standard. I noticed this when I switched from Bell. Even so, the timestamps on my N900 do look correct.

3. Unacceptable. She doesn't have a data plan and doesn't intend to get one either. Data plan is $80 a month in Canada, unlike US where unlimited plans roam the earth. Secondly, not everyone uses e-mail to exchange pictures, they just want to attach and send to a phone number.
This is definitely not the phone's fault--it's your wife's fault for being in Canada! I'm in Canada and I think it's ridiculous how the carriers here are gouging their customers. I refuse to have a data plan, but my boycott doesn't seem to be having any effect.

I also bought my N900 in the USA and it is not compatible with 3G data service in Canada. The best I can get is so-called 2.5G. Also be aware that Nokia Canada will not service this phone because they are controlled by the Canadian carries and no Canadian carrier sells the N900. Your wife, me and hundreds of other N900 users are personnae non gratus in Canada.

Cheers!

Brad

I don't know what reviews you were reading, but an n900 is totally the wrong phone a non-geek with no data plan.

I think the n900 is awesome... for me. But you got the wrong phone! Sell it on ebay and get something more appropriate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by j d View Post
I don't know what reviews you were reading, but an n900 is totally the wrong phone a non-geek with no data plan.

I think the n900 is awesome... for me. But you got the wrong phone! Sell it on ebay and get something more appropriate.
I'm a non-geek and only subscribed to 100Mb data plan (basic). But I'm happy with my N900. Sometimes certain things hang, and we still don't have 3G video call, but I'm still happy with the N900.

I think maybe these deficiencies (and overcoming them), gives us a sense of achievement - makes the phone more personal. Rather than a phone that already has everything and you just use it as a phone.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
No offense but if you read reviews and knew N900 is half baked why did you gave it to a person who doesn't understand as much as you?

Also what' the point of giving it to "Rogers people" sorry but they are *****s and they dont know anything regarding phones especially about one that are not offered by the company

I understand your frustration but there is no simple solution for your problems unless you spend some time and try to figure out on your own. Its been said countless times N900 is not a phone that "just works"

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by n900fan75 View Post
We've had nothing but arguments about this phone, and I've just about had it. I don't think I should have marriage counseling because a cell phone isn't working!
Obviously, the real problem does not lie in N900 or Rogers.

Just buy a new phone that suits her needs, with flowers.

However, if you don't feel like pleasing someone who dare question your professionalism, then you two really need to see a marriage counsellor, together.

I am here to help, so just take it easy.