Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
I'm using Fido in Canada. They just gave me a one-month free unlimited web browsing upgrade, which works great on my Fido-locked Sony Ericsson T715 phone's browser.

But when I move the SIM card to my N900, it doesn't work. When I try to browse the web, I get intercepted by Fido and advised that I have attempted to access a service without a data plan. Apparently, Fido is able to discern that my N900 is not one of their controlled devices and I"m blocked.

Is there any way to hack the N900 to get around this?

Cheers!

Brad

I do believe it's done using the reported IMEI.

So, is it possible to trick the N900 browser into reporting the IMEI from my other phone?

Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
So, is it possible to trick the N900 browser into reporting the IMEI from my other phone?
That's a scary thought.

Seriously, I believe the IMEI number is tied to the hardware and sent via the SIM card so no want to intercept it with software.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
That is highly unlikely , considering most drivers for N900 are closed source and its not an easy task , I wouldn't count on it. Why did you choose Fido? I hear Wind and Mobilicity are better + N900 supports their 3G frequency

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Hi there HellFlyer. I chose Fido several years ago because they had towers in my area and they offered my wife and me a "couples" package that was much more affordable and better suited to our needs than anyone else. And to this day, no other carrier in our area can match it for our needs. Even Fido no longer offers this package to new subscribers. The energing carriers don't have good coverage in my area yet (I'm in the middle of Vancouver Island).

@dannycamps. If Fido is keying off the SIM card, then presumably their browsing feature should work when the SIM card is in my N900. However, that's not the case. However, there are millions of IMEI numbers out there, so I'm not convinced Fido is keying off that either. I'm more inclined to think they're keying off something returned by the Fido-branded browser and that's why the N900 doesn't get the free service.

Has anyone else figured out how to get around this? E.g. if you move a T-Mobile SIM card into an N900, does your T-Mobile price plan follow you?

Can you not just call your provider and ask them to update the IMEI on their system?

We provide telephones to our users in my work and often have to call Vodafone to have handsets swapped for when our customers "destroy" their handsets. Swapping IMEIs on locked down is a regular thing for us and it only takes a few mind for them to do.

Just a thought like?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
maybe you just need the right apn / proxy settings from the fido phone
i would try searching google with whatever message you are receiving, you will probably find some info on howardforums

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
yeah just because it says no data plan doesnt mean you're not on one. i was getting free t-mo data til i manually added the apn even though i was paying the whole time.

Get a speakout simcard + unlimited browsing.(10 bucks per month) They don't check for IMEI. I used my n900 as a wireless modem to browse on the laptop.