Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks. Is this a blocker to MeeGo adaptation?
The bigger blocker is the fact we stopped doing ARMv5 builds on build.meego.com because of build capacity problems (yes, this was a genuine problem - ARM QA was lagging several days and patches that never should have been admitted due to breaking ARM got into Trunk)

Once 1.1 is out I plan to sit down and try to convince some people to build a ARMv6+VFP 1.1 for these kind of things.

Strictly speaking it may actually no longer be a 'strong' blocker as we figured out our ARM Qt was completely unoptimized. So there's actually room for improvement in even software rendering..

That said, I wouldn't mind being able to use OpenVG as a backend from these drivers.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I hope it works out. I was really looking forward to mer, and was very excited about the TI drivers release, and then I was excited about Meego. But I have to admit I was getting discouraged that there hasn't been much active discussion about progress with any of these things, at least what I am able to see. But seeing that there is still effort, sure makes me feel hopeful!
I mean, someone spread the news, I will buy commercial apps to use on my n810, If meego, and all the hardware, were working right!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cstryon For This Useful Post:
It would be good to use as many common codepaths with N900 MeeGo as possible to minimize the number of strange, N8x0-specific bugs that the community would have to track down and fix.

Maybe I'll get around to setting up dual-boot so I can fiddle with this some.

Just so I understand. With the TI drivers release, what kind of road blocks do we have to get accelerated graphics integrated into Diablo? Is the instructions needed in the OS from the ground up? Or can it be integrated (after roadblocks) into the current OS and software just needs to be told to take advantage?

Besides that, what kinds of things would we do with our n8x0s if we did have accelerated graphics? What software would run better, what would we be able to do that we can't do now? Something that I would be really happy about (Mostly for the "That's so frikken awesome" feeling) is if I could get accelerated graphics, and maybe run some kind of x86 VM and play StarCraft on my n810.
So for all you n8x0ers that know how these things work, what needs to happen? And for everyone, what would you like to do if we had 3d acceleration?

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
omg you can play starcraft on n810 any time. (stargus engine)
Ok, we will able to create some software with bells and whistles, games will run smoothly, etc

I can play starcraft with the n810 in it's current state?! May be a question for a different topic :P search bar here I come. Thanks Kroll!

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Somewhere out West
Ha! here is the thread for this http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/inside...vr-insider.asp they have a forum that can help.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil - Piracicaba/SP
right from the grave....
some news i got from google:
if it is GPL or a binary, or yet, freeware i dunno...
http://www.altsoftware.com/company-a...d-powervr.html

the link to desktop linux distro "evaluation"
http://www.windriver.com/evaluations/

now i really am confused... will it work, or help?
----------------------

ALT Software releases optimized OpenGL ES and OpenVG graphics drivers for the POWERVR MBX graphics core on Wind River Linux and VxWorks
POWERVR MBX is a popular lower-powered, high-performance graphics IP core integrated on many “system-on-a-chip” (SoC) processors used in automotive electronics such as instrument clusters, navigation systems and infotainment systems

TORONTO, Canada - December 10th, 2009 - ALT Software announced today that it has developed OpenGL ES 1.1 and OpenVG 1.1 graphics drivers for embedded computing devices that employ system-on-a-chip (SoC) processors with the Imagination Technologies POWERVR MBX graphics core on Wind River’s VxWorks and Wind River Linux operating systems. The MBX core provides hardware accelerated 2D/3D graphics within the SoC, and uses a unique tile-based rendering architecture that enables high performance and image quality in lower power environments. ALT’s MBX driver includes an ALT-exclusive integrated feature known as a TAR, or Target Area Renderer, which enables the MBX core to render graphics at frame rates as high as 60 frames per second (fps), which rivals desktop computer graphics performance. The driver currently supports the Freescale MPC5121e embedded processor. ALT is also supporting PowerVR MBX and PowerVR SGX graphics cores on the Texas Instruments OMAP 2, OMAP 3, Freescale’s i.MX31, and a number of other SoC processors.

“As a Wind River strategic partner, ALT Software has been providing reliable, high-performance embedded graphics drivers for operating systems for years. We’re excited to see ALT creating MBX drivers that target both our VxWorks RTOS and Wind River Linux,” said Franz Walkembach, Senior Manager, Automotive Solutions Marketing, Wind River

““The increased adoption of Wind River’s operating systems in automotive electronics such as telematics and infotainment units make them an excellent first target platform for ALT’s POWERVR graphics drivers,” said Dan Joncas, Vice President of Sales and Marketing, ALT Software.” As high-quality graphics and versatile functionality becomes a standard feature of these systems, the MBX core on a SoC like the MPC5121e presents itself as a cost effective solution that can last through an entire vehicle model’s life cycle, even as the application software is upgraded each year.”

About ALT Software
Established in 1994, ALT Software is the world’s leading supplier of advanced 2D/3D graphics, safety-critical and OpenGL solutions for embedded systems. They specialize in the development of advanced graphics software solutions which are compliant with the highest industry practices and standards for OpenGL as defined by Khronos Group, as well as FAA guidelines for safety-critical environments.

Media Inquiries
ALT Software
press@altsoftware.com
www.altsoftware.com

Tags
accelerated, nokia n8x0