a few years ago they were big! now i rarely hear anything from them

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Samsung Galaxy range. That's what happened to them. Now HTC are just A.N. Other Android smartphone manufacturer.

My website

GitHub

Its mostly HTCs fault:
- their processors have been consecutively weaker than Samsung's
- their phones have been consecutively thinner and lower quality
- their software's been one of the bloatiest
- their updates has been as slow as the other OEMs
- their bootloader's been locked and root difficult
- they been OEM btches (moar unwanted hardware/software)
- they produced new flagships too soon, alienated their previous customercustomer
- they failed to differentiate (the ONE series kinda flopped)
- Beats is a gimmick and the public knew it

HTC has been ambitious yet incompetent, an example of bad business model

I'm flattered

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Its mostly HTCs fault:
- their processors have been consecutively weaker than Samsung's
- their phones have been consecutively thinner and lower quality
- their software's been one of the bloatiest
- their updates has been as slow as the other OEMs
- their bootloader's been locked and root difficult
- they been OEM btches (moar unwanted hardware/software)
- they produced new flagships too soon, alienated their previous customercustomer
- they failed to differentiate (the ONE series kinda flopped)
- Beats is a gimmick and the public knew it

HTC has been ambitious yet incompetent, an example of bad business model
I suppose you havn't had a hold of an HTC device recently? Because what you're saying really shows that.

1. Wrong, just hold the One X and the GS3 in both hands, you will immediately ultimately notice how far the One X is more premium, HTC has put a lot of effort in its design and it just feels and looks great and blows all other flagships from the competition in that area.

2. All custom UIs are bloaty as f**k, this isn't an HTC related problem, still, HTC offers a really easy way to unlock your bootloader via htc-dev.com, install CM10, done.

3. You said it, all are as slow, that's what custom ROMs are for.

4. They are amongst the few who support unlocking bootloaders without completely ruining you warranty via some very simple steps on htc-dev.com! C'mon man, watch the news!

5. Repeated.

6. I would love some examples, I see non of that in practice, though I agree that the One X+ was lunched pretty sooner than expected, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

7. How on Earth..? Just observe the One S for instance, awesome hardware, JUST AWESOME, with a f***ing awesome price!

8. Agree.

All in all, HTC has been and is still strong, I wonder what made the OP think that out :|

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by GigaByte View Post
I suppose you havn't had a hold of an HTC device recently? Because what you're saying really shows that.

1. Wrong, just hold the One X and the GS3 in both hands, you will immediately ultimately notice how far the One X is more premium, HTC has put a lot of effort in its design and it just feels and looks great and blows all other flagships from the competition in that area.
They are both plastic, and both will get covered with cases to protect them. But the GS3 is shiny and pretty out of the box, which sells. I prefer the One X in this respect, but then I also preferred the N900 and N9. We can see how well that turned out.

2. All custom UIs are bloaty as f**k, this isn't an HTC related problem, still, HTC offers a really easy way to unlock your bootloader via htc-dev.com, install CM10, done.
Yes, but the HTC one was particularly bloated, at least until Sense 3.6. Never tried Sense 4, but I hear it got a bit better so at least they fixed that. I'll get to the CM10 and other custom ROMs later.

3. You said it, all are as slow, that's what custom ROMs are for.

4. They are amongst the few who support unlocking bootloaders without completely ruining you warranty via some very simple steps on htc-dev.com! C'mon man, watch the news!

6. I would love some examples, I see non of that in practice, though I agree that the One X+ was lunched pretty sooner than expected, but that isn't necessarily a problem.
Ok, now about the custom ROMs. I had the misfortune of buying the original HTC Sensation back when HTC did not allow unlocking bootloaders. It took a very long time for devs to root it and guess what happened... Right, by the time it was rooted everybody either moved on or never bought the damn thing in the first place.

The result is that for my HTC Sensation CM9 was delayed for months, and the camera still does not record in 1080p. I am using a hacked CM9 that has the 1080p recording enabled and a few extra features. But it's maintained by ONE guy, since the OTHER guy broke his Sensation. If he drops his Sensation on concrete by accident, my phone will never get another update. And I think CM9/10 proper only has one or two developers as well. Comparing that to the HTC Desire, I'd say it's pretty sad...

And by the way, CM10 for the Sensation is still in beta with even more stuff broken. Sure, there are a lot of custom Sense and de-Sensified ROMs, but none that were clean and stable like CM9.

The quick flagship obsolence has a couple of other implications. You buy it and too soon you're behind the curve in the cool factor. It makes no difference to me because I never buy phones for more than $300, but when you drop $5-700 on a phone you want it to be the latest and greatest at least for a while.

So after all that, do you think I will buy another HTC any time soon? No, I'll get the phone with the most developers regardless of who manufactures it.

7. How on Earth..? Just observe the One S for instance, awesome hardware, JUST AWESOME, with a f***ing awesome price!
If the One series were a success, then HTC wouldn't have dropped as low as they had. The hardware may be nice, but for whatever reason *cough* GS3*cough* people are not buying them.

All in all, HTC has been and is still strong, I wonder what made the OP think that out :|
Because HTC's market share is in the single digits. I'd say the OP was fairly close in his assessment.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Make a google search.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
They are both plastic, and both will get covered with cases to protect them. But the GS3 is shiny and pretty out of the box, which sells. I prefer the One X in this respect, but then I also preferred the N900 and N9. We can see how well that turned out.

Yes, but the HTC one was particularly bloated, at least until Sense 3.6. Never tried Sense 4, but I hear it got a bit better so at least they fixed that. I'll get to the CM10 and other custom ROMs later.

Ok, now about the custom ROMs. I had the misfortune of buying the original HTC Sensation back when HTC did not allow unlocking bootloaders. It took a very long time for devs to root it and guess what happened... Right, by the time it was rooted everybody either moved on or never bought the damn thing in the first place.

The result is that for my HTC Sensation CM9 was delayed for months, and the camera still does not record in 1080p. I am using a hacked CM9 that has the 1080p recording enabled and a few extra features. But it's maintained by ONE guy, since the OTHER guy broke his Sensation. If he drops his Sensation on concrete by accident, my phone will never get another update. And I think CM9/10 proper only has one or two developers as well. Comparing that to the HTC Desire, I'd say it's pretty sad...

And by the way, CM10 for the Sensation is still in beta with even more stuff broken. Sure, there are a lot of custom Sense and de-Sensified ROMs, but none that were clean and stable like CM9.

The quick flagship obsolence has a couple of other implications. You buy it and too soon you're behind the curve in the cool factor. It makes no difference to me because I never buy phones for more than $300, but when you drop $5-700 on a phone you want it to be the latest and greatest at least for a while.

So after all that, do you think I will buy another HTC any time soon? No, I'll get the phone with the most developers regardless of who manufactures it.

If the One series were a success, then HTC wouldn't have dropped as low as they had. The hardware may be nice, but for whatever reason *cough* GS3*cough* people are not buying them.

Because HTC's market share is in the single digits. I'd say the OP was fairly close in his assessment.
I still don't get it. The X has a very impressive premium good-looking polycarbonate unibody shell, a very bright LCD2 display with a full set of subpixels, why would one still consider the GS3 better?

I own an HTC One X, and Sense 4.1 is debloated and runs A LOT lighter than previous Sense skins, there are those things that HTC should've kept stock (see the ICS recent apps window for instance), but looking at this version of Sense and previous ones, you will notice a very large, positive difference. I honestly missed it and actually dropped out of CM10 to go back to a stock, deodexed, zipaligned, rooted Sense ROM.

Yes, the fact that unlocking bootloaders came later to your device is misfortunate. About the 1080p issue, the problem lies within the Sensation's chip that it is running on, Snapdragon S3 is a fail, I do not support any phone utilising this particular chip, it is more of 2 Cortex A8 CPUs (Scorpion) joined together than using CPUs based on A9 architecture. HTC should've anounced bootloader unlocks with the launch of the Sensation, but, it's just how things went and it ended with HTC supporting unlocking officially. It affected old Sensation owners, but new One owners are enjoying unlocking their bootloaders officially.

I paid $440 on my One X, and I was glad with what I received as performance:cost ratio is my top priority. The One X+ that was announced recently (early, disappointed me, I could've waited and bought that instead) fixes and improves just about every aspect of the original X.

HTC is soon history. Worst built quality, worst upgrade policy (with a very few exception) and the worst Android skin ever. Now it is pay time. RIP

I can't believe someone on TMO is defending HTC's Dev-Unlock utility decision.

Basically, devs have abandoned HTC, basically boycotted it.
The people who ask them for advice have chosen not to buy into HTC.
I'm talking from experience.

HTC decided to be a lil' btch and bent over to the OEMs, that's what killed them. Just compare them to Samsung who had begun to have a ONE flagship device without much carrier bloat, or bloaty skin, and dev friendly.

I'm flattered

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I'll say this...

Everyone who uses Android will tell you that custom ROMs etc are what are required for a proper experience...

And except for Samsung every other company at one point or the other has placed road-blocks for consumers from doing so...Hence, head over to xda and see the number of brick-bats the devs throw on every OEM except Samsung for their nonsense...Samsung is one of the few to donate devices not only to CM but to other smaller devs too for them to make user experiences better...

HTC failed in the above and hence failed in general...