Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Right but that post didnt come till last night closing the thread in question.

Yes its against the rules *now* but was it against the rules last night when all the supposed lack of judgements or infractions really happen?
Ah in that case I think Texrat handled it to the best of his ability and capability.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
After all, life is about gaining experience, isn't it? Where is the learning effect when big poppa removes possibly malicious links for immature users? They shall live with any consequences, and embrace the lesson.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by acou View Post
After all, life is about gaining experience, isn't it? Where is the learning effect when big poppa removes possibly malicious links for immature users? They shall live with any consequences, and embrace the lesson.
This isn't exactly the best perspective to take on that situation. The problem is that there's too much risk of folks who don't quite understand that this is/was a leaked prerelease presuming that it's the real thing, installing, finding issues, and complaining to Nokia. That just degrades tech support for everybody.

The issue's more complicated than that, sadly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
I can only speak for myself but I think others will agree:

In any (I would follow) forum there are rules and policies and staff to protect them.

As administrator and moderator you get yelled, shouted, flamed, blamed at, called names and other stuff you need to get along with.
Some people keep up with it some drown and I hope you can swim,
cause if the run continous we are out of moderators by end of Q2. With Tex it is #3 within few weeks who wants to resign and I hope he does not proceed.

I try to stay in the dark as much as possible as I believe in "A good moderator is a ghost; always around but you only see it once in a while and you hear it less!", I try to be gentle even if I have to warn someone via PM.

Please be nice to the folks who keep this place running even if the tag is not Admin or Mod, we are all humans and should behave like it.

Already, people turned their back to tmo and maybe some of those have answeres for questions you want to ask but you'll never know.

PS if you want to blame someone, point your finger in my direction, please. Tex wasn't able to do anything but hitting "Report This" and to keep a warning note every 2nd page and it was a good choice to do so!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok, ok...

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=29

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I appreciate that mods have a difficult and thankless task to do but I am surprised that there has not been action on the multiple ladies single receptacle post. I'm a pretty open minded person but this isn't the place and what's the next person going to do to top it?

I haven't bothered to follow the link to see if it is the video that it claims to be but even if it's not we don't need people chucking out references like that here.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Until it was determined that it was in fact, illegal software (at least in some jurisdictions or countries) - then there was simply no need for moderation.
C'mon, isn't that a little disingenuous? It had the right filename, the right version, and it booted into something which looked an awful lot like the features expected from the PR1.2 SDK.

Even if it was someone's hack job based on the SDK, redistributing any of Nokia's firmware binaries from behind tablets-dev.nokia.com is against the EULA which is accepted along with your IMEI/MAC.

Now, it gets a bit more tricky with firmwares as - in the past - Nokians have thanked people who torrented new firmwares when their own servers couldn't handle the strain.

But we don't tolerate unauthorised distribution of copyrighted material when it's Nintendos (e.g. individual game ROMs), so we shouldn't - as a general rule - when it's Nokia's either.

Nokia, historically, didn't press charges or bring Reggie or ITT up on any charges or send any C&D letters that I am aware for leaked firmware.
I don't think Nokia would be that heavy handed.

Therefore, in all the information available to you at the time - you made the right decision.
The larger point is that, apart from stressing its potential badness more firmly (and you can't argue with the frequency), Texrat had no powers in that thread. He was involved in a discussion with the council where we were trying to come to a conclusion about our own position - but even then, the super moderators & admins (like Reggie) weren't up yet! So, if we did (or did not) decide to redact the links, we couldn't have done anything about it until Reggie did anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Well, if it helps, I'm going to try to add a little more Brainstorm activity on some of this stuff. See here:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tor_structure/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:

Tags
complaints, moderation, policy