Kojacker, your handling of this has been exceptional. I hope this competition can now conclude on the high-note that it deserves to.

And congratulations to all the winners as well of course.

Last edited by amh; 2010-08-04 at 17:34. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to amh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
kojacker, no need to feel bad - whenever someone steps in the limelight, he will get a rotten tomato or two in the face, will get worn out by trying to please everyone and in the end still have grumblers (who are either right or they aren't). I say do your best and step down only if a critic actually steps up to the task and does it better. Community-wise the task was to vitalize and motivate developers, and as far as I'm concerned, you're doing a great job with that. Should anyone try anything similar in the future, though (which I actually hope, regardless of the shortcomings of the first try), I'd be happy to offer guidance and maemo.org infrastructure help BEFORE the event

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Hm, that's funny. As I know I did not
cheat I would like to know, why there are
cheating votes for scout.
Btw, does this result shows, some
one cheated (multiple accounts) or does
it proves the developer voted with fake
accounts?

thank you kojacker, reggie, attilla77
and all the other for clearifying this
"situation".
regards
Nicolai

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Hm, that's funny. As I know I did not
cheat I would like to know, why there are
cheating votes for scout.
Btw, does this result shows, some
one cheated (multiple accounts) or does
it proves the developer voted with fake
accounts?

thank you kojacker, reggie, attilla77
and all the other for clearifying this
"situation".
regards
Nicolai
neither.
It is also possible, that there was a "maemo newbie" event in some internet coffee shop where a lot of peeps registered on maemo.org and voted for their favourtie app...

serious: this means that there were votes from different users with zero postings logged in from the same ip address while voting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Hi all, I have received the updated votes from Reggie and attilla77 for the "Other" contest. Thank you everyone for your patience - I know the waiting around sucked but there are some major changes to the results and I hope you can understand why I was so determined to check this all out.

In the interest of transparency im going to list the new votes for everyone here. The first column is the vote total after the multiple account check (votes from 0-post members from identical IPs are removed) and the number in brackets following is what was recorded on the poll.

TweeGo 122 (142)
Scout 53 (59)
qexercise 41 (145)
DropN900 39 (39)
BackupMenu 36 (37)
N9Profile 23 (23)
Qvernote 11 (11)
eye4 6 (6)
KhtEditor 6 (6)
Old School 4 (4)

Therefore, as this is the vote from legitimate maemo.org accounts, I propose this is the new final order.

I haven't been provided with any evidence that anyone has deliberately cheated, but obviously there has been a serious vote inflation. With respect to lullen, I hope you can understand that Im not able to allow your original first place to stand - that wouldnt be fair. But I want you to know that i dont think you deliberately tried to inflate your vote illegally, and you have my thanks for all your help and support during the contest.

If everyone is happy, I would like to extend my congratulations to the TweeGo guys
I wonder if there were changes in the other categories as well?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webhamster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by webhamster View Post
I wonder if there were changes in the other categories as well?
I have already enquired about the possibility of doing other threads as a confidence measure. We can't guarantee every single vote but we're trying to make sure the placings work out correctly as that is what prizes are decided on, and if there are any changes in placings I'll be sure to update and let everyone know. We pushed the "Other" thread so hard because our own monitoring picked up weird voting behavior, and if you have any concerns about your own voting threads please feel free to send me a pm in confidence

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I have already enquired about the possibility of doing other threads as a confidence measure. We can't guarantee every single vote but we're trying to make sure the placings work out correctly as that is what prizes are decided on, and if there are any changes in placings I'll be sure to update and let everyone know. We pushed the "Other" thread so hard because our own monitoring picked up weird voting behavior, and if you have any concerns about your own voting threads please feel free to send me a pm in confidence
No, I'm pretty sure there'll be no big surprises, I was just interested if the analysis goes beyond the "other" category, because it seems just fair to remove 0-post-votes from the other results as well.

Thanks for your work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webhamster For This Useful Post:
I just can't believe the attitude of some people on this forum/community, someone goes out of there way to provide a service for free might I add and people have the nerve to throw it in Kojackers face?

Im not gona feed the trolls and have a massive rant, to be honest I wish I could but the questions I ask myself is, why didn't these people make requests for changes to the competition in the early stages? If you felt that not enough people knew about it Im pretty sure that a quick chat with kojacker would have led to a solution!

There have been problems yes but I hope that instead of having a big old cry about it instead we could be more constructive and apply the lessons we learnt to the next compotition, hopefully run by the one and only kojacker

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
lol thanks Spotfist^^

It's been quiet on here, but there has been some beevering going on in the background.. and I have a final list of results for the remaining categories! A bazillion thanks to Reggie and attila77 for doing the hard work on these

The results were checked with the same criteria as before in an effort to remove votes from users with dummy or multiple accounts. There are a couple of changes to the results, but the majority of them are the same. In the interest of transparency/clarity/nosiness here they are

Edit: To clear up any possible misunderstanding Ive since removed the votes, but the apps are sorted from 1st place downwards. Pls pm if you'd like to know your own votes.

Desktop

Queen Beecon
MyContacts
Maenotify
Sticky notes
FeedingIt
K9 call

Location & Navigation

CloudGPS
Advanced Geocaching Tool
modRana
MetroMap
Libellule

System & Utilities

Faster Application Manager
ApMeFo
Alarmed
Extended Call Log
FastSMS
Quick-launch
Case File Manager
SleepAnalyser
Auto-Complete Editor
Buddy
NetStory
Stroke Order Chinese Input Method
Gonvert
URPO
KitchenAlert
Push-It!
ShipRolling

Games

PSX4M
Destroid
Bos Wars
Skid Stone
Reaction face-off
Flobby
PeQersi
Vectormine

Graphics & Multimedia

PenPen Sketchbook
Metre
eSpeak GUI Client
DreamRemote
Groove
Classic Print
footify
Classic Cam
LastGo
eSpeakTime
mSoma

Beginners

DropN900
qexercise
ApMeFo
BackupMenu
N9Profile
Metre
Destroid
Groove
eSpeak GUI Client
URPO
LastGo
eye4
Push-It!
Skid Stone
Stroke Order Chinese Input Method
K9 Call
KitchenAlert

There are a few vote variations here and there, but I'm pleased to say no evidence to determine developer cheating. The big news would be the change of beginner contest winner, with DropN900 now taking the crown moving qexercise into second place. Venemo, sorry dude, Sticky Notes drops a place after the recount.

jonnenau (the developer of DropN900) you may also be interested to know that we have some exciting news from Nokia regarding the beginner contest! I've been chatting with Quim, and he's going to offer the same Nokia prize to the winner of the beginner contest too!

Yes, I can confirm the same prize for Beginners than for the rest of categories.

--
Quim Gil + N900
open source advocate
MeeGo Devices @ Nokia
Print that out and keep it close! And I reckon that's a confirmation for the other threads too Hope everyone has a great time in Dublin drinking beer..err.. watching MeeGo stuffs... yeah..

As it was my own bounty for the beginner contest, hmm should we move my first prize (or part of) down to the second placed entrant?.. We can't reward you too much jonnenau or you'll be spoiled! We can discuss it if you like

Im going to be in touch with everyone who won something over the next while, there are literally billions of you so please be patient. i won't have forgot, i'll just be making my way through y'all

I'll also update the individual threads with the results asap, and send off a final list of first placed winners to Quim.

Wow.. I do believe we are getting near the end!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-09 at 19:33. Reason: removed votes

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Uhm... wow...

Please tell me my entry in S&U was a typo - if not, consider taking me off the list, as I don't need my name slandered just because some arsehole thinks it funny to cheat in other peoples names.

I have to say, by now I'm pretty underwhelmed by this "community". Cheating for getting your own app up there is bad enough, but THIS is as low as it gets. I have a professional reputation to lose, thank you very much.

Hope whoever did this chokes on his own big, fat, cheating grin.