Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
tuxpaint 0.9.19-1 mmcboot, "A paint program for young children", well, then there will be a lot of young children on the NiT. It installed, run, multimedia, with audio on 2008He/700. Very good app

A pic tells a 1000 words, here are many thousand words

Dont know which repo has it, you will have to look, these are all my repo for the 2008He/700

Nokia catalog
Nokia catalog (3rd party software)
Nokia System Software Uptdates

maemo Extras
repository.maemo.org/extras/
chinook
free non-free

gregale/e2fsprogs
repository.maemo.org/
gregale
free non-free

Extras-devel chinook
repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
chinook
free non-free

Extras-devel diablo
repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
diablo
free non-free
Disabled check

Gizmo Catalogue

I usually have extras-devel diablo disabled, so not sure whether it is from there, just look around, its worth the look, a really fun app for the 770, wether you are a young children or not.

I will start using this thread to post news on 770, a tablet that refuse to fade away..........because of Nokia teams incredible effort on 2008He and 2007He.

Enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-09 at 09:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
posted from 770 using tear browser
pics taken w load applets
how unstable is 2008He/770? absolutely ROCK stable on MMC boot

Looking at the desktop and the apps installed, 2008He is incredle, make your 770 getting close to be a N8x0

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-09 at 09:26.

Come on, guys (and gals), post what you are doing with your, uh, ex flame, 770, it aint dead yet, not mine

here are the latest news from bunanson on 770,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57865,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57957,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27845,
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57773

I am really bore with N900.............same old same old, hacking around 770 is really fun.

are 770 users particularly SHY?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-09 at 09:59.

Just to show my 770 is better than your N900, I am dead serious (stop laughing, you guys),

I can run boingomobile from my 770 and enjoy $7 per month internet throughout the world, yes, india, china, afgan, New Southwales......while your N900 has to do $10 per hr or $60 per month.

The $ did you get you excited, uh? Ok, lets talk about actual user experience. With installed boingomobile on 770 (and sure N8x0), whenever you get close to boingomobile hotspot, it automagically flashed a screen and you click your sign in name and password, you are online. Whereas those using the regular web log in, here are the steps,

1) you need to find out wether there is boingo hotspot, (ya right, while you cannot get online to begin with )
2) if you are lucky, you can get to the default website (usually a limited screen)
3) agree to security
4) get to the boingo website (provide you know where the option menu is)
5) user name and password.

Did I kid you not, my 770 is better than your N900

For those interest in Boingomobile, I have checked and confirmed, there is NO plan to bring boingomobile to N900. NO PLAN. )@(#*#^!%% boingo!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-09 at 09:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Thanks Bunanson. I thought I am the only one who is still using a 770 everyday and love it. Now I have two 770. The first one has 2006OS on MMC, the other one has OS2007HE on MMC. The reason I bought the second one was thinking to try Mer without messing up my first one since it runs so well. What a joke! Mer never has a useful version and now they dropped the ball. I have tried the OS2008HE. As you said, it does have a good potential, but the low sound problem does turn me off. I might give it a try again. Keep up the work.
Have you tried rdesktop and Canola 2? Do they work on 2008HE?

The Following User Says Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Bun and Racky - I absolutely agree about your experience with OS2008HE. If you give it enough space, it is rock solid. I have used it in a 704 MB partition of the MMC, with an additional swap partition of 385 MB activated. The bad reputation must come from its unstable performance in the internal flash, where it doesn't have enough space.

There are two things that are outstandingly better on the 770 than on my N800. One is the touch screen. The 770 responds exactly where you touch it. Even on a web page with a list of links 2mm apart, the 770 will open the one that you select. The N800 usually opens one of the neighbouring links instead. If you want to highlight text with the stylus, the N800 will often highlight another area, or move the text around where you don't want it. On the 770, it just works. As a more personal matter, I prefer the slightly softer feel of the 770's screen.

The other thing that works much better on the 770 is USB host mode. It takes a little effort to set it up, and memory devices have to be mounted by command line, but the results are worth the trouble. Here is an app that works beautifully in OS2008HE, even though it was abandoned for the N8x0 because of the host-mode instability of those devices. Darren Enns ported gphoto2 for Chinook, and you can get the download from https://garage.maemo.org/projects/gphoto2/ . The App Manager installs it in OS2008HE and it just works.

The Following User Says Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
bunanson:

Why don't you just edit your post???
There is no need for bumping the thread...

I can't say if the 770 of 8X0 is better.... since I only own the N900

And I admit: The N900 is AWESOME!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Scaler: Interesting, I thought the 770's USB doesn't allow OTG host. Do you need an external power supply to support your USB devices? When I use a USB keyboard with my N800, I don't need any other power source. How about your 770?
BTW,any N900 only user, please don't post anything on this thread, there is nothing here for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Hey, guys, thanks for the post, that make me feel much less lonely

@scaler: I have NEVER able to make the 770 OTG work, if you can drop a few line, I will try again. Thanks

@racky: USB use can go without power on some stuff, for example keyboard and mouse. HD or USB reader will need power. Anyhow, I found it slightly more tricky to make OTG host work on 770 than N8x0, and I have NOT been able to do that.

Hey, guys, keep the thread open. I used N900, yes it has ALL the advantage of N900, faster, newer, shinyer, da da da, but you are looking at a screen 26.88 % larger and hands down.

bun

Originally Posted by racky View Post
... I have tried the OS2008HE. As you said, it does have a good potential, but the low sound problem does turn me off. I might give it a try again. Keep up the work.
Have you tried rdesktop and Canola 2? Do they work on 2008HE?
I forgot what I did to the 770, it now give decent sound on mono, like web page audio etc, I can hear them, after I turned everything up. But on media player, playing stereo, you heard one channel and the other one is like a distant cave w echo. But put in a headphone takes care all of these. Apparantly headphone audio is NOT affected by the 2008He. In other words, output into a stereo rack will NOT have the problem with audio.
Again, these are only for mmcboot, internal flash does no squat. I rarely boot up internal flash. Oh, BTW, you know even if your internal flash boot meshed up, as long as the boot menu work, it will still boot. I found this fascinating.

rdesktop works, see the icon on 1st post

Canola 2, never use, dont know.

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-11 at 13:29.