Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
rm42's Avatar
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 625 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
#141
When all I want to do is view a document, I save it as a PDF. You can do that from within OOo on the N900.
__________________
-- Worse than not knowing is not wanting to know! --

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/
 
Posts: 1,601 | Thanked: 3,422 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#142
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
When all I want to do is view a document, I save it as a PDF. You can do that from within OOo on the N900.
Yes that is a good option too. Also, the pdf can be viewed on other OS which can be useful, especially if you want to share documents, as not everyone uses OOo. Nevertheless, for large documents I really do prefer saving a html version and viewing them with Opera because it scrolls so smoothly and when you zoom in it does a great job of wrapping text so it is easy to read. You can save as html in OOo by selecting the "save as" option and then select the html file version (It did not work as well using the Export as html option).

One more note, I recently reinstalled OOo from squeeze and this current version does a nicer job than it used to of rendering equations. Also, converting a document that was originally Word into pdf or html came out very good.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
#143
Is anyone working on Hildonising OpenOffice or LibreOffice?
 
laasonen's Avatar
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
#144
Originally Posted by alcockell View Post
Is anyone working on Hildonising OpenOffice or LibreOffice?
I think it would be easier to use the Qt4 version.
__________________
Couple of my applications:
ConnLock - Advanced phone lock
Sanakirja.org - A Sanakirja.org dictionary client
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers
 

The Following User Says Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 438 | Thanked: 272 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
#145
In case somebody already answered this question here, sorry for not reading the whole thread from end to end. A thorough search I did first did not answer it.

Well, I'm looking for a free, stable quality (i.e. non-beta) option for viewing (editing not necessary) MS Word docs (also .docx format), without having to install easy debian just for the sake of Open Office. easy debian is not an option for me, it's just to fiddly and slow on my device, even just for viewing.
And NOT Docs To Go. Basically I'd be willing to pay, but not for this.
Isn't there any such thing as a real Maemo app, stable quality, for viewing MS docs? Do I really have to go convert stuff or upload it to Google docs or pay for bad software or younameit to just look at a stupid document?

Forgive me for ranting, um... had to get rid of this...
Thanks, Ben
 
Posts: 1,601 | Thanked: 3,422 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#146
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
In case somebody already answered this question here, sorry for not reading the whole thread from end to end. A thorough search I did first did not answer it.

Well, I'm looking for a free, stable quality (i.e. non-beta) option for viewing (editing not necessary) MS Word docs (also .docx format), without having to install easy debian just for the sake of Open Office. easy debian is not an option for me, it's just to fiddly and slow on my device, even just for viewing.
And NOT Docs To Go. Basically I'd be willing to pay, but not for this.
Isn't there any such thing as a real Maemo app, stable quality, for viewing MS docs? Do I really have to go convert stuff or upload it to Google docs or pay for bad software or younameit to just look at a stupid document?

Forgive me for ranting, um... had to get rid of this...
Thanks, Ben
You might consider abiword. It does not do too badly with text and figures (at least ones based on jpegs). If you need to render equations it is not as good as OO. I think you can find it in extras or extras testing. I can't remember for sure. As it turns out, the best version of abiword I used on n900 is actually in the debian repositories. You can set it up so you just call it from an icon and not start the whole LDXE. I havn't tried it with docx.
 
Posts: 438 | Thanked: 272 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
#147
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
You might consider abiword. It does not do too badly with text and figures (at least ones based on jpegs). If you need to render equations it is not as good as OO. I think you can find it in extras or extras testing. I can't remember for sure. As it turns out, the best version of abiword I used on n900 is actually in the debian repositories. You can set it up so you just call it from an icon and not start the whole LDXE. I havn't tried it with docx.
Abiword is definitely in extras-devel, as are all the other word processors except for Schmocs To Go.
Questions:

- Maybe the one in Debian repo is more stable quality?
- Which are the infos I need to enter into my app mgr to set up that Debian repo in N900?
- Will not starting LXDE make the startup of Abiword faster?
- How would I set it up to just call it from an icon?

A great many thanks to the one who enlightens me!
 
Posts: 1,601 | Thanked: 3,422 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
#148
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Abiword is definitely in extras-devel, as are all the other word processors except for Schmocs To Go.
Questions:

- Maybe the one in Debian repo is more stable quality?
- Which are the infos I need to enter into my app mgr to set up that Debian repo in N900?
- Will not starting LXDE make the startup of Abiword faster?
- How would I set it up to just call it from an icon?

A great many thanks to the one who enlightens me!
Although not perfect, I've had no problems with stability using the debian version of abiword. All the instructions you need are in the wiki given in the first entry of the easy debian thread. Here is the wiki location

http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian

As you have Easy Debian installed you can use Synaptic Pkg Mg. After you open it just do a search for abiword. And then install it. It is probably in lenny or squeeze repositories. The wiki clearly explains how to enable the different repositories if needed and also how to set up an icon. Have fun!
 
Posts: 438 | Thanked: 272 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
#149
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Although not perfect, I've had no problems with stability using the debian version of abiword.
While stability is a concern, it's not what I'm worried about here. I've had Easy Debian installed before with OOo and it's just not usable to me in terms of speed. It starts becoming sort of pointless to me when I have to wait 10 secs. for a reaction after each click....
I don't want to have to go into ED first to be able to launch my standard word app, but it looks like there is currently no alternative...
 
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
#150
I've just moved Easy Debian to its own partition on the SDcard, and it makes a big difference. In loading it up, but also in responsiveness.

There's an instruction in this thread.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
abiword, application, documents, edit, edit excel, edit powerpoint, edit word, excel, fremantle, gnumeric, maemo, maemo 5, microsoft, office, office applications, open, open excel, open powerpoint, open word, openoffice, openoffice.org, powerpoint, spreadsheet, word

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:50.