Poll: Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???
Poll Options
Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The ability to play videos in quality and formats that other phones balk at impresses people.
I have completely the opposite experience of video on my N900.

Virtually every video I've tried to play, which are admittedly mostly web video of one sort or another (BBC iPlayer, youtube, google video etc.) play really badly on my N900. Usually they are way too slow, updating one frame a second or so, so unwatchable.

But sometimes they go spontaneously smooth for a while, so it is clearly not a CPU/DSP/GPU performance ceiling.

I work in depth with video decoding on various embedded hardware, and I'm fairly sure this is due to silly software issues rather than any fundamental limitations.

Unfortunately, with web video being entirely a Flash affair, there is nothing much we can do.

Web video is completely different from native video, and it's not fair to conflate them. But from a practical user's point of view, they are pretty much the same thing - ergo, in a broad sense, N900 video is virtually unusable.

I have also tried some H.264 files, downloaded with get-iplayer. They didn't play either. With H.264 being quite mainstream, I'm not particularly impressed by the native video playback either. It seems I have to reencode downloaded files to play them on my N900 - no better than an iPhone.

BTW: I answered YES in the poll.

Originally Posted by Invertol View Post
But still Nokia didnt advertise the N900 as a "geekphone".
Since when does advertisement tell the truth?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
Saw a little change with the wi-fi yesterday night.

WPS compatible hotspot now shown duplicated. One with WPS, the other not. Maybe a workaround against Bug 5786 and co.

Is this PR 1.3 or just a by-case thing ?

I just noticed a new strange point, when i get a missed call and i recall the one who called me the two items missed and dialed calls appear and some other times they do not appear as separate and the dialed mask the missed from the same caller?!
any idea why is that?

Tags
fanbois cry, harsh reality, head splitting, noob noise, qt and bugfixes, rraaggee!!!, shitter thread, waaaaahhh