Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by bgrigor View Post
My N900 dropped while the charger was connected and it wrenched the USB connector inside the phone. I'm in Canada and Nokia Canada said they don't / can't support the phone. Nokia USA would service the phone but will not ship outside the USA. That seemed like a hassle, so I sent it to Dr. Cell Phone in Dallas, TX, who concluded they cannot resolder the USB connector--it needs a new motherboard and Nokia will not provide those parts to them. And even so, the cost of replacing the motherboard would exceed the price of buying a new phone!

Sooooo....now I'm back to dealing with Nokia USA. Can anyone confirm that Nokia USA really is replacing the broken USB connectors under warranty and where this is officially documented (by Nokia)?

Thanks so much!

Cheers!

Brad
What Nokiu Canada won't support the phone And you allowed them to fob you off with that. That is truely amazing. I would be calling Nokia and demanding to speak with someone in charge of customers services to explain. They are a big corporation, they have the resources to sort out your problem. The trouble is as a large corporation they also have difficulty communicating policy to the far reaches of their organisation.

You need to be a lot more demanding of Nokia and insist they deal with your issue or you will take it up with a consumer group. I threatened them with taking them to a small claims court to get my N900 back and hey presto it was ready the following day.

You are in the right on this issue and don't forget that. And alos don't forget you are the customer in this relationship.

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
My N900 dropped while the charger was connected and it wrenched the USB connector inside the phone. I'm in Canada and Nokia Canada said they don't / can't support the phone. Nokia USA would service the phone but will not ship outside the USA. That seemed like a hassle, so I sent it to Dr. Cell Phone in Dallas, TX, who concluded they cannot resolder the USB connector--it needs a new motherboard and Nokia will not provide those parts to them. And even so, the cost of replacing the motherboard would exceed the price of buying a new phone!

Sooooo....now I'm back to dealing with Nokia USA. Can anyone confirm that Nokia USA really is replacing the broken USB connectors under warranty and where this is officially documented (by Nokia)?

Thanks so much!

Cheers!

Brad
I can confirm that nokia is replacing the entire phone if the board is nonrepairable. I broke my usb port last Tues 3/23. Call Nokia and also filled out repair form. Just got my phone back today which would and is so excited that I got it back. Just sux that I had to update the version. Not sure why they dont just update to the latest software. Anyways it only took about 4 business day to get my product back. Seem like what took the longest is shipping. They also gave me an extra stylus and back cover when i got my device back. And they also included a 10.00 gift card for the ovi store for the inconvience.

But the new n900 dont feel right for some reason.The screen for some reason feel more like plastic or sticky like feeling. My orignal screen felt more like glass. Dont know kinda feel like aftermaket unit with all the original markings. But it could be just me not having it for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to luckylefty For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
What Nokiu Canada won't support the phone And you allowed them to fob you off with that. That is truely amazing. I would be calling Nokia and demanding to speak with someone in charge of customers services to explain. They are a big corporation, they have the resources to sort out your problem. The trouble is as a large corporation they also have difficulty communicating policy to the far reaches of their organisation.

You need to be a lot more demanding of Nokia and insist they deal with your issue or you will take it up with a consumer group. I threatened them with taking them to a small claims court to get my N900 back and hey presto it was ready the following day.

You are in the right on this issue and don't forget that. And alos don't forget you are the customer in this relationship.
man, take it easy. he said "dropped" and "wrenched." If my phone stops working after using those words, I would look to pay someone to get it working again. I want to see Nokia step up here, but I REALLY want this phone to succeed, so let's be fair.

That said, I wonder if this guy has been contacted, he saved several of my devices from the bin.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
What Nokiu Canada won't support the phone And you allowed them to fob you off with that. That is truely amazing.
Are you amazed that Nokia Canada won't support the phone or that I let them fob me off with that? :-) As to the former, it's pretty much understandable. This model is not subsidized by any Canadian telco and was not available to purchase in Canada. Knowing that, I imported mine from MobileCityOnline.com in New York. It is an American unit, supported by an American warranty. So, I'll deal with Nokia USA.

But to get back to the question, is there any official Nokia documentation regarding the USB connector problem that I can point to when talking to them?

Last edited by bgrigor; 2010-03-30 at 14:30.

I filed mine down the day I got my N900. I just tried each cable once before filing, and it did take an alarming amount of force to remove them (considering the port is surface-mounted). After filing the connection is still very secure but it doesn't take any real force to remove the cables. My USB port seems rock solid so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
I think that nokia should callback a lot of N900, because go away USB.

That is the fault of NOKIA, not I!!!

COuld some one please give me a way how to back up all my files since i cannot transer them because the damn connector fell out while taking it out of the cxharger.
And since i know nokia will reflash or send me a new one i will lose everything.
Thank you.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by QrsC View Post
COuld some one please give me a way how to back up all my files since i cannot transer them because the damn connector fell out while taking it out of the cxharger.
And since i know nokia will reflash or send me a new one i will lose everything.
Thank you.
Gonna have to be with an externally charged batt and wifi or Bluetooth.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
But to get back to the question, is there any official Nokia documentation regarding the USB connector problem that I can point to when talking to them?
There has been no external bulletin as far as I've seen (there should be one IMO) but a comment from an admin (Nokia employee) on Nokia Conversations indicated these would be covered-- and in fact since that announcement devices are slowly being taken care of under warranty.

Your best support is the example of numerous devices repaired or replaced in the past month or two.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
this is the second time i experienced a delay before the "charging" comes up when i plugged the phone.

to detail it more, i plugged the charger to the n900 and it gave me a delay, about 5 secs (battery on red, not drained). on the second time this occurs, more than 5 secs, and i was alarmed, that i unplugged the usb cable charger and re-plugged it, and instantly, it charged.

in the next time this would happen, i will unplug the chatger from outlet (not the male usb from n900) and see.

if the same occurs, i can tell that its only a bug, or my n900 is just quite slow (since i've been doing a lot with it during this Spring break).

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-03-30 at 19:47.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty