Notices

Guys,

Its taken me a couple of days to find the time but I have successfully ported my first app and uploaded to extras-dev (getting the desktop file working proved the biggest pain in the @ss, and I get the feeling there would have been a better way to do it). This is a port of xblstatus made by people a lot cleverer than me to view xbox live friend activity. I take no credit other than porting it across to maemo, mainly for my own benefit, and also to see the process from beginning to end.

Now that I have it working for me through the repository, I'm not in a rush to make any immediate changes, but some things that could be looked at further down the line:
  • Making layout more maemo friendly
  • A way to group notifications so they dont take over as friend activity changes
  • More friend info from xbox.com ie gamerscores
  • A page displaying your profile info and achievements gained.
  • Send/View messages via xbox.com
  • Portrait Mode
  • Numerous bug fixed

All these should be do-able but Im still on a learning curve of the python coding process so prob won't be a quick implementation if at all.

Give it a whirl and let me know if it works for you but got to say Im pretty damn proud of myself to have gotten this far. Still learning so any probs/advice/abuse....go easy

P.S Cheers to the guys in my previous thread who helped me get to this point!
Attached Images

Last edited by cferrism; 2010-08-11 at 21:43.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
Guys,

Make sure you do File/Quit to exit the application and dont just close the window otherwise the process will keep running in the background.

Not sure if this could be resolved via the desktop file itself (I think it could as like I say the way I set it up probably wasn't the best) or something that needs added to the app.

Quick way round it for now anyway.

The app opens and tried to load but then exits by itself
Running PR 1.2

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Try to run it via XTerm xuggs, and let cferrism know what the output is.

could be I missed a dependency in the package. if you run it manually via xterm by typing:

python /opt/xblstatus/xblstatus.py

let me know what it complains about.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
app opens fine for me (the non xterm way)
but just see this black screen:

logged in as myusername@xboxlive.org
is this correct?

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
app opens fine for me (the non xterm way)
but just see this black screen:

logged in as myusername@xboxlive.org
is this correct?
This happens if the username and pass are wrong (username should be the email address you use to sign in to xbox live), still connects but no details to find. The username and pass are case sensitive but one issue you may find is that the dialog box wants to add a capital letter to the beginning of your username and password. (Yet another quirk that i havent figured out). If you space forward once and type the first letter so that it is lowercase and then delete the space and continue the rest of your username/pass it should work and show you your friends.

Luckily you only have to do this once as it will save your username/pass from then on.

Last edited by cferrism; 2010-08-11 at 21:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ somerset
good start my good sir this is something i've hoped for on our beloved n900 i would like to help but have no experience making apps. if you know of any useful site to guide me i would appreciate it thanks in advance

Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
good start my good sir this is something i've hoped for on our beloved n900 i would like to help but have no experience making apps. if you know of any useful site to guide me i would appreciate it thanks in advance
Cheers mate. Like I say I'm no expert and this is essentially my starting point. I only did it because I have a week off, my daughter was at the park, I was bored and I wanted an xbox live application on my n900.

When it comes to coding there are better people out there to help you than me. Im fine at reading it, and manipulating whats already there to get it to do what I want, but have a long way to go on the writing from scratch front. I've never been one for the 'hello world' school of thought. I prefer to get my teeth into something a bit more complex and figure it out as I go.

As for the rest, running your code on the n900, packaging and getting it to a wider audience. Everything I needed was on this site already.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Installed from App Man but doesnt show any icon in menu.