didnt android finally become stable at ICS, or hell even JB?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry, you are right, it is not. Jolla Oy was founded on 29 March 2011. So it's four years and a month. With the years of Maemo and Meego on top of that, but I am happy to not count those.
Sailfish is still quite different beast than Maemo or Meego. 2011 is still 8 years behind Android. With fraction of resources available for Android or just about any other platform. But let's not take such little things into account in any way...

Conclusion from this is that either there is no way any niche OS can ever succeed in any way just because there are always features x and y missing that someone considers to be basic feature, or that patience is needed. IMO strengthening the Sailfish Alliance is critical on this part because partnerships are the only way to get more resources behind development. Excluding the possibility that Jolla is sold to some NSA/FSB proxy of course.

As for some of features missing, my guess is that after Sailfish 2.0 hits the market and tablets are available for us, development for Sailfish Secure will take higher priority. Such version is aimed more to professional world than to consumer market, so things like better support for mobile device management would be important which should also bring some of the missing features.

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2015-05-01 at 06:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
But in that case anyone is behind 'cause Android is still a lot of years behind PalmOS in that regard since PalmOS was already a strong smart(phone) OS before Android came around.

It's never gonna be perfect, guys. Just appreciate whatever work is being done on whatever OS, no matter how small it is, they're doing all that they can and you can't do more than that!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Wrong. The concept of a smartphone had been introduced long before, and the whole point of this comparison is to point out how for example the iPhone didn't even meet the standards set by moderate feature phones of those years.

It just shows how reality distortion works: When the iPhone lacked MMS, copy/paste, 3rd party software support, SIP, 3G, video calls and whatever features were standard then, people ignored all its faults it because it came from their Guru. But when the still young Jolla Phone lacks a UI for VoIP calls, it's totally unacceptable because clearly all features need to be on all phones.
Smartphone like old blackberry? Common...

Most operation system of that time had to be re-written in order to compete with iPhone and Android. Yes iPhone and Android were not finished, but they have different concept. Offered something new, and all features to add just were on the way, while symbian and alike systems had to be rewritten.
Let's say that those days "smartphones" were more feature-full, but it was there limit/end. While iPhone was only begining and it has where to grow. The simple prove is that if Nokia will go Maemo/Meego they would be in top now too.
In other hand Jolla has nothing real innovative. So they have a choice to do something noone did and bring us to new levels or if they are same level as android/iphone(leave the policy and how it written and done behind, the important is the concept and where it goes) they need to compete with them and they can't (they even use Adroid apps instead of own ecosystem). First Android and iPhone didn't try to close gap between old phones, but they tried to innovate and grow own ecosystem, own features and different way of interaction. Btw exactly that's the the reason why technology made huge step in evolution in mobile and we have quad-cores on our hands. But Jolla is just doing the same, but doing it properly in matter of what technology they use behind (though using Linux and developing behind doors and not opening some important parts is not the best direction).

Btw i think actually meego had the potential of innovation and becoming something new, in matter of signle system on everything (car, watch, phone) but they never finished and others already optimized/ported their system to do this (android can run anything today almost out of box, not sure how ios is different on phone vs watch), for example tizen that runs on phone, watch and even on cameras(Samsung has camera with it), or ubuntu that runs on server, desktop, phone, tablet. At least they bring something new. Sure you can tell that Jolla can run anything, but it's not jolla that runs anything, it's Linux and i'm talking not just about core, but about optimized for that purpose system, that is built in mind for that. That's the new direction, at least i think so, as world is going toward wearables and internet of things (whatever it means :P)

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yeah, I've been using n900, and looking at Tizen & Ubuntu. But I'm kinda sick of the whole "Cellphone as Media Player plus Game Console" that the world has been turning into...

But why bother with the hassle (and the warantee-voiding implications) when you can get a fully supported standard Linux distribution instead?

Exactly. Which is why I'm finally getting off of the stupid "smartphone" merry-go-round myself. The smartest phone today is one that handles telephony alone; everything else is just a crass attempt to dig more dollars out of your wallet for no significant value in return.

The Jolla tablet is arriving just in time for me to shift all my mobile computing materials onto a handy non-phone portable device.
You are «getting off of the stupid "smartphone" merry-go-round myself» because there is no one that can provide you what you want and that's exactly the problem. As tablet is nice thing, it's huge and not that "mobile" in sense of size, you have netbooks and even laptops today with same size/weight, so why would anyone who wants real OS go with tablet, if they can have full computer with same size? The whole point is to have something small and mobile (in a pocket) that can replace it (maybe not fully, but that's why we still have laptops and even desktops)

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Btw, to anyone calling dibs on losing contacts on SailfishOS: don't forget that the same happened with BlackBerry 10.3.1 upgrade for a lot of users. And that's a very well tested upgrade coming from a long-standing company with a core business in the businesses and governments so if even they introduce bugs like that, don't expect those bugs to be not there on something smaller like SOS.

Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Btw, to anyone calling dibs on losing contacts on SailfishOS: don't forget that the same happened with BlackBerry 10.3.1 upgrade for a lot of users. And that's a very well tested upgrade coming from a long-standing company with a core business in the businesses and governments so if even they introduce bugs like that, don't expect those bugs to be not there on something smaller like SOS.
There was bug with z30 and screen that i'm aware off (though it was postponed and fixed in new one). Haven't heard of contacts, can you link me?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
@benny1967, excuse my ignorance does android or ios have embedded support for voip?
I don't know about iOS (if the iPhone has native VoIP, I doubt it follows any standards and is compatible to anything outside the Apple bubble), but my Android phones have. I became interested myself and found out that native VoIP was introduced with Gingerbread in December 2010. Symbian had it in those days, too.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
The whole point is to have something small and mobile (in a pocket) that can replace it (maybe not fully, but that's why we still have laptops and even desktops)
Yes, I do want a pocket-sized device that can fully replace a standard desktop computing machine. A full-size keyboard and monitor will never be conveniently portable; but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to connect a full-size keyboard and monitor to your portable device, when you have them available.

My N900 runs the exact same code editing environment as I use normally on my standard desktop machines, allowing me to transition from desktop to mobile use seamlessly. But it was probably the last handheld device created that actually encourages you to use standard desktop software on it; everything else today has gone to rather incredible lengths to stop you from running anything that hasn't been designed and built specifically for that hardware's brand and operating system.

It's all about tying you to an "ecosystem". Apple and Google want to lock you into their ecosystem. Heck, even the folks on this board continually agonize over the Nokia ecosystem and the Jolla ecosystem. Personally, I don't give a flying fig about these "ecosystems"! I've got my own set of software, programs that I've been using for over 20 years now; I don't really care what kind of "apps" are running on a particular device, so long as I can run my own software on it...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
There was bug with z30 and screen that i'm aware off (though it was postponed and fixed in new one). Haven't heard of contacts, can you link me?
It happened on a few BB devices including the Z30 (my mum can attest that - she used to have the Z30, she now has the Passport). My mum and CrackBerry Forums are proof that it happened to some users.