Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
So I take it that you apt-get remove those debbies afterward then?
I might have spoken wrongly here... apt-get remove will get them out. Yes. I actually tend to leave them since they're only about 400k in total installed.

To be honest, I went in Red Pill Mode and got them that way - felt better doing it that way.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-01-28 at 14:43. Reason: Forgot a command.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
- - -
Is it possible to use the backup/restore feature (I personally have never used this) and share with us whatever it squirts out so we could simply restore the tablet to the way you have yours currently?
- - -
Console Tools by Penguinbait
has a Backup/Restore utility in the PB program.

It makes a complete or partial backup of any partition to any place.
So a backup of the partition with your OS keeps any changes you have made.

( Console tools also has all you need for partitioning mmcs and for cloning the OS. )

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Gerbick.

I finally got around to going through all of your steps but I accidently missed a little something.

note: I remove all but: en_US.vkb, latin.special.vkb and en_GB.vkb
Could you post your latin.special.vkb file for me?

Many thanks.

Here you go... the site wouldn't let me upload the *.vkb file, so unzip then place back in the right place. Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip latin.special.zip (850 Bytes, 98 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Well... there's a lot going on all of a sudden. I've been using my N810 a ton more, just reflashed this morning, substituted Opera for Tear, using the Community SSU, managed to squeeze out some more room... changed what I keep and what I don't keep.

Would you guys be somewhat interested in a newer version? There's not a lot changed.

Also... to anybody that's used my method or have their own method, how much space do you have after you've installed everything?

(added) ScummVM, (added) DrNokNES, (added) Opera, (removed) Map (I'm pissed at you Navicore/Wayfinder), (added) AlmostTI85 graphing calculator, (added) Telescope... and still finding myself with around 120mb free. Might install Pidgin instead of RTComm Beta (problems with Yahoo are not easy to walk around and the purple lib update is somewhat bigger than Pidgin in total)...

Just tinkering. And curious...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I did your walkthrough step by step (except for the local purge) through the command line and saved it all as a Notes file.

I've installed quite a bit more than yourself and I'm still sitting at 87.1 megs free.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
gerbick: now that I have all this new recent functionality I would like some help in purging some files as I only have about 10 MB of internal space left.

If I can help... sure. Let's start with what all do you have installed, what's active - in terms of your app catalogs - and what languages do you consider "near and dear" to you.

I see Oregon, but oddly enough until I wrote the prior guide, I kept German on my tablet too until I stopped traveling there, what not.

I'm sure we can help somewhat. 10mb is pretty darn tight. I'm feeling cramped under 110mb!

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
great thanks...will get on it tomorrow!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Why not just write your commands into a shell for everyone to see clearly what you're doing? Heck.. it'd be a good start toward writing maybe a shell or Python script later to automate the job for others.