Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
@topet2k12001
Code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/portrait_wallpaper -t bool true
Enables distinct wallpapers for portrait, thus if you have no portrait wallpaper set yet you'll get a black background in portrait.

Therefore:
enable distinct portrait wallpapers --> reboot --> rotate device to portrait and set a wallpaper (instead of black background) --> be happy
Got it, I figured that out too...and thanks for confirming.

One more thing that I need help in confirming. This post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=704 said that he/she was able to resolve it by setting the "edit_mode_portrait" to be "true". Is this necessary as well to achieve the desired effect?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for threads with good N900 portrait wallpapers for download? Much appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Well... I also get the black portrait wallpaper. Can someone just point to the location where the wallpapers are stored for portrait mode, so I can directly throw the wallpapers there?

And yes, I tried setting a new wallpaper in portrait mode after reboot. Still black, but it replaced my landscape wallpaper (and streeeeetched the photo). ???

SOLVED: Apparently wallpaper image sets don't work in portrait mode, but if you manually choose each wallpaper, it works.

Last edited by zlatokosi; 2012-04-10 at 20:42.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
Hi Friends,

One thing I observed: after installing CSSU and the CSSU Features Configuration, setting "Rotation" to "X/Y (default)" didn't make any changes for me...I had to manually enable it by typing the gconftool-2 command as shown in the CSSU Wiki. In the prior versions there was no need to do that manually. Do you think this has something to do with the portrait wallpaper thing?

Could you please share the exact command that worked for you?
Do the other options of the application work for you?

thanks

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Could you please share the exact command that worked for you?
Do the other options of the application work for you?

thanks
Hi Saturn,

After installing CSSU and CSSU Configuration App, I had to manually enable rotation by this command because the Configuration App doesn't seem to want to work OOTB ("out-of-the-box"):

Code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/ui_can_rotate -t bool true
Only then can it rotate. No Theme Customizer installed, no theme changed, all stock. And yes, as mentioned, in prior versions of CSSU (or the CSSU Configuration app), it will "just work" with no need to type commands manually.

Additional Information that may help. Apologies for a lengthy post, but I just thought that giving information as detailed as possible is one way of helping developers (I'm not a programmer/developer so I just consider testing/reporting bugs as my contribution to the community).

Steps I did from a freshly-flashed N900 up to CSSU Configuration App:

1. Initial Setup
- configured wifi and connected to initiate the first update that usually pops up when you have a freshly-flashed Maemo (it's a Maemo Security Update and Docs To Go)
- Rebooted N900.
- Upon reboot, opened Hildon Application Manager (HAM) to add extras-testing and extras-devel repositories. HAM will update/refresh the catalog list.
- Installed: rootsh, sudser, and Faster Application Manager.
- Installed advanced-power-monitor and advanced-power via command line. I had to purge and reinstall this via Terminal though as well as delete the leftover directory, due to that popular APMD and vanishing battery icon issue.
- Rebooted N900 to ensure that advanced-power-monitor worked.

2. Installed CSSU:
- using MicroB, went to the Wiki Page to click on CSSU Stable (installer)
- HAM opens and takes you to the installation prompts for CSSU Enabler
- In HAM, tapped/clicked on CSSU Enabler to initiate download/installation
- N900 rebooted

3. Installed CSSU Configuration App:
- Upon reboot, installed CSSU Configuration App via HAM
- After installation, display does not rotate
- Opened CSSU Configuration App. By default, Rotation is already enabled which is set to "X/Y" (Default)
- this is when typing in the "gconftool-2..." command had to be typed in Terminal for rotation to work.
- Back to CSSU Configuration App, set "Forced" rotation to apps
- Reboot N900 using the "Reboot" function of CSSU Configuration App

4. Post installation of CSSU Configuration App):
- Rotation of the UI works
- typed in the command to enable portrait wallpapers

Code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/portrait_wallpaper -t bool true
- Reboot N900

5. Post setting the command for enabling portrait wallpapers):
- when rotating to portrait, I'm getting a black background
- Tried to follow instructions from referenced posts in my previous response (rotate to portrait and set wallpaper from there).
- Result: wallpaper changes in landscape but portrait remains black

Things I haven't tried yet:

1. I saw a post where one needs to type a gconftool-2 command to enable desktop editing (in portrait)...maybe that will help? This is the post. I haven't seen that command being listed in the CSSU page though. I only see a command to disable Edit mode.

2. I haven't tried preparing an image (rotating an image 90 degrees in preparation for setting it as a wallpaper while in portrait), as per advice by Merlin (few posts above).

3. Haven't tried setting an individual/single image as opposed to an image set, as per this post.

No, I don't use the other options of CSSU Configuration (such as parralax, columns, etc.). Just the "Forced" rotation of apps, and the rotation of the UI itself (X/Y).

Thanks.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2012-04-10 at 23:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi Saturn,

ok I now understand what you meant. In the instructions you can already find your solution.

In short, the stable version has the rotation locked by default. you can either enable it with the command you mention or by installing the status-area-orientationlock-applet.

Note in the CSSU features application the x/y or z option controls the axis you would like the rotation to happen.

All is working correct.
Cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
ok I now understand what you meant. In the instructions you can already find your solution.

In short, the stable version has the rotation locked by default. you can either enable it with the command you mention or by installing the status-area-orientationlock-applet.

Note in the CSSU features application the x/y or z option controls the axis you would like the rotation to happen.

All is working correct.
Cheers.
Hi Saturn,

I see...so now I understand that in the latest stable, the rotation feature is locked by default and is to be unlocked; that is the easy part. The only item left that I'm struggling with is the portrait wallpaper. I will give it another shot by trying the steps I haven't done yet, and will revert for feedback. Thanks for the assistance!

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
3. Haven't tried setting an individual/single image as opposed to an image set, as per this post.
That is the only way you'll get portrait wallpapers.

The thing is, that wallpaper image sets are applied according to their .desktop files. So if you apply any of the existing wallpapers it will get applied to desktop 1-4.
With cssu though you have desktop 1-9 and the portrait wallpapers are saved to virtual desktops 10 to 18 (where #10 is portrait of the real desktop #1) so any of the standard image sets is not going to give you a portrait wallpaper.
You either need to edit an image set .desktop file to get them added for the portrait "desktops" or just apply each image seperately.

An example for a .desktop file can be found here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=393

Btw for anyone wondering, the wallpaper settings are saved to /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/# (in the gconf store), you can use the following command to show your current settings:
Code:
gconftool-2 -R /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views

Last edited by merlin1991; 2012-04-11 at 01:54. Reason: spelling

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
hey, is there an image so I can flash my n900 with the latest pure version of cssu?

Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
That is the only way you'll get portrait wallpapers.

The thing is, that wallpaper image sets are applied according to their .desktop files. So if you apply any of the existing wallpapers it will get applied to desktop 1-4.
With cssu though you have desktop 1-9 and the portrait wallpapers are saved to virtual desktops 10 to 18 (where #10 is portrait of the real desktop #1) so any of the standard image sets is not going to give you a portrait wallpaper.
You either need to edit an image set .desktop file to get them added for the portrait "desktops" or just apply each image seperately.

An example for a .desktop file can be found here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=393

Btw for anyone wondering, the wallpaper settings are saved to /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/# (in the gconf store), you can use the following command to show your current settings:
Code:
gconftool-2 -R /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views
Confirmed!

Indeed...when you get a black background after enabling the gconftool-2 command for portrait_wallpaper...the UI "creates" a new "view". And to set images we either need to edit a file as mentioned by merlin or, go the easy way by setting up a single image per background (so set 4 images).

Thanks for the insights and explanation. I was able to appreciate what happens "underneath" the surface.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by amadeukaos View Post
hey, is there an image so I can flash my n900 with the latest pure version of cssu?
No. You'll have to flash PR1.3 then update to the CSSU from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post: