Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
Is anyone getting any real benefit from the optimize script?

I have set the script to run everyday at 5am and I have a QB button setup on my desktop to run the script, but my phone still runs like poo after 4 days.

I just did a restart now after 4 days and 15 hours because it got REALLY slow and unresponsive. After the reboot all was fine again.

So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there using the optimize script who's N900 is still snappy and responsive or just runs plain fine after 4-5 days without a reboot?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by tmarinos View Post

I have set the script to run everyday at 5am and I have a QB button setup on my desktop to run the script, but my phone still runs like poo after 4 days.

I just did a restart now after 4 days and 15 hours because it got REALLY slow and unresponsive. After the reboot all was fine again.

So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there using the optimize script who's N900 is still snappy and responsive or just runs plain fine after 4-5 days without a reboot?
try to run the script from x-terminal and see if it actually optimized.
if you get the message like 'not found', look at JohnWW post.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ canada
Originally Posted by tmarinos View Post

My current uptime shows 13.5 days, which is much longer than I usually get. It's still responding well. I don't run the script every day, but rather when it starts to feel like things are going south.

It was getting a little funky last night, skipping and stuttering while playing a podcast, but restarting Panucci seemed to help with that.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
I am following this thread now for several days and was trying out what happens to the system when running optimize.sh or whatever you call it.

First of all (again) This script does not restart anything and may cause an automatic reboot!

As stated several times, killing system critical processes may make your device reboot because of the watchdog which is actually the process restarting all the processes you kill if they are non-user ones.

Running the script in an easy way is

Code:
sudo ./bin/OptimizeN900
if you have it setup right, the top line should read

Code:
#!/bin/sh
and there is nothing needed like

Code:
sudo sh OptimizeN900.sh
No "sh" up front and no ".sh" at the filename, the top line tells the system how to execute it. If you did put it somewhere else than below MyDocs you may need to make it executable as root by this command first

Code:
chmod 744 OptimizeN900
Then I started thinking about you people blowing it up... the script is bad anyway but extending it with additional "killall processes" stuff will cause the device stay at 600MHz (or whatever you OC people have set) 95% for several 10seconds to start all the bloody stuff you just killed. Doesn't this blow up to consume as much battery as a reboot at some point? Or even more?

You have a missing statusbar? This is cause there is still stuff queued to be started and the hildon-statusbar is not one of the top notches!

It is nice you know your way around with killing processes but please be aware that total n00bs are reading this and have them let a process in D state and they don't know what to do, if it is xorg in D state the only thing you can do is ssh to your device and reboot or pull the battery...

And now for something completely different, this is a script/command that will make your n900 run like a week of uptime. Useful for when you cant wait a few days to have to reboot the sucker.

<Fork bomb removed. Please do not post malicious code.>

Last edited by xomm; 2010-08-06 at 22:58. Reason: Even if it's a joke, people unfamiliar with *nix might not know what a forkbomb is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The infamous fork bomb.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Thread moved to Maemo 5 / Fremantle.

The Nokia N900 sub-forum is meant for hardware-specific topics.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by masq View Post
Hi JorgeFX,

You mentioned that you would soon be releasing a one-time script to optimize the N900 performance. Is that still on its way? What kind of things would this script do and what would it fix? Don't mean to rush you but if you can drop a note I'm curious.

I'm running your other script though I haven't noticed a significant difference. Actually the one time I ran it it slowed down my machine a bit but that's probably cause some processes were still doing some initialization stuff in the background. Will try to give some more useful feedback if I notice some consistent behavior (good or bad).

thanks!
Hi, that post is old, in that post I was talking about this script. I'm working on another that you only have you run one time but it is not for optimize.

Originally Posted by memoryguy View Post
My current uptime shows 13.5 days, which is much longer than I usually get. It's still responding well. I don't run the script every day, but rather when it starts to feel like things are going south.

It was getting a little funky last night, skipping and stuttering while playing a podcast, but restarting Panucci seemed to help with that.
That is the right way to use the script, only use it when you need it. I mean, don't be miser, the N900 WILL NOT become more speedy just for running this script 100 times in a row. Your N900 is pretty good already!

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I am following this thread now for several days and was trying out what happens to the system when running optimize.sh or whatever you call it.

First of all (again) This script does not restart anything and may cause an automatic reboot!

As stated several times, killing system critical processes may make your device reboot because of the watchdog which is actually the process restarting all the processes you kill if they are non-user ones.
Yes, it could cause an automatic reboot if you are miser running it. If you run it only when you feel the system is slow you are ok then.

Then I started thinking about you people blowing it up... the script is bad anyway but extending it with additional "killall processes" stuff will cause the device stay at 600MHz (or whatever you OC people have set) 95% for several 10seconds to start all the bloody stuff you just killed. Doesn't this blow up to consume as much battery as a reboot at some point? Or even more?
The answer is pretty clear here, NO, just try it and you will see. I challenge you to make a video showing the battery percent before and after running the script, and then same video but rebooting and that way we all can see if you theory about the MHZ at full load taking eating the battery is true. I already know it is not, like most of the people that use this script.

It is nice you know your way around with killing processes but please be aware that total n00bs are reading this and have them let a process in D state and they don't know what to do, if it is xorg in D state the only thing you can do is ssh to your device and reboot or pull the battery...
There will always be n00bs reading. How can you prevent it? can you control the internet? Just saying.. Still, GOD bless YOU

Tags
faster, reflash, refresh, script-a-brick, sell it