Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
@Val
it's not a smart phone without true multitasking...

Hold out for another linux phone, I'm sure there's some coming this year!
If not for the apps I need I'd be getting the N9, but sadly it offers very little, or even less, on top what I can already do on the N900. Love the design and the swipe interface though. I doubt the apps I need will make it to the Linux phones any time soon, if ever. But I'll keep my eyes open, if there is a new Linux device that can run Android apps reliably w/o the need to dual boot I'll be all over it

Last edited by Val Demar; 2013-02-25 at 21:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Val Demar View Post
Multitasking. So much said about it. Can anyone tell me how they benefit from it on their phone? I really want to know. After all it looks like I will be replacing my N900 with Android (it will be a sad day when it happens btw) and worried I'll be missing this. After almost 3 years with the N900 I don't see a compelling use case to must have true multitasking on my phone. Yes it is cool, powerful, and occasionally convenient, but I can definitely live without it.
One usecase that I find myself usually is Gpodder updating/downloading in the background while I'm watching something on KMplayer;

Another usecase is having multiple leafpads opened with one or two fileboxes editing something;

The filebox case is usually together with, if I'm editing some .sh's, Opera with some tabs open while I search/copy/paste commands between all of them, + a lot of x-terminals cd'd each in a different folder;

Also when I'm waiting something between classes I might have some leafpads + xterminals + easydebian running gimp editing something;

Also the added bonus of being able to halt all these and start and close htop or wifieye or conky in order to see something and being able to close that and be able to come back and see all your apps waiting there the way you let them.

Of course, but this should go without saying, if kmplayer is not open I'm listening to music with the stock player, but this I don't even count.

Yeah, sometimes it gets sluggish, but right now I'm fairly used to it, in a way tat I can predict and avoid most of it or like when I press some command I already know where the popup will open and I already clicked where the command button would appear. Another good thing while running 4+ thing at a same time is to lock the phone to landscape. And I can always have the extra push of oc'ing to 1ghz (actually my phone is either on 1ghz+lvl5backlight when I need performance or 500mhz+lvl1backlight when I need battery - but then again another thing that I LOVE about my n900 is that I can replace batteries when needed, and I carry up to 4 on top of the one on the n900 giving me a minimum of 7,5hs of whatever[film/n64/internet] when I'm traveling).

Maybe is that I'm not really used to android, but I cannot for the love of me figure out how to even START to do that on my android. Yeah, it is an old motorola droid running android 2.1.2 cianogen mod, but I only have it for the sake of banking and angry burds, and not even that it is doing right (bug of already own a thing that has failed to buy).

That's all!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Multitasking. So much said about it. Can anyone tell me how they benefit from it on their phone? I really want to know. After all it looks like I will be replacing my N900 with Android (it will be a sad day when it happens btw) and worried I'll be missing this. After almost 3 years with the N900 I don't see a compelling use case to must have true multitasking on my phone. Yes it is cool, powerful, and occasionally convenient, but I can definitely live without it.
Multitasking makes people work faster on a smartphone and stare less at a phonescreen.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
n900 is still my one and only.
(It's my second one, since my USB broke down.)

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
n900 is still my one and only.
(It's my second one, since my USB broke down.)
USB broken?
These damn chinees kids still does not know how to work!

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
I have an Android tablet, you can switch between apps and I think the OS does a more or less good job of preserving and restoring application state. Not true multitasking sure, but it gets close in terms of switching between apps. As far as background downloads go, I think Android OS supports background tasks. I'm not advocating, I guess I really have to see for myself if the limited multitasking or the lack thereof will impact my usage of the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
I have an Android tablet, you can switch between apps and I think the OS does a more or less good job of preserving and restoring application state. Not true multitasking sure, but it gets close in terms of switching between apps. As far as background downloads go, I think Android OS supports background tasks. I'm not advocating, I guess I really have to see for myself if the limited multitasking or the lack thereof will impact my usage of the phone.
My experience with android:

Whenever I start Angry Birds or Newsy videos or any other app, the "daemons" (if one can call the so) from "Battery Spy" and "Quick System Info" shut down completely rendering them unusable (I'm forced to actively click on them to restore and they will NOT record anything between then and now).

Also, I'm not able to open two "Es Explorer" 'windows'. Also I'm not able to run maps and then do something else.

Also I cannot get the stream live from youtube and then do something else, at least in my system it will black out.

The only thing that somewhat preserve its state and does not do a good job at it is the browser. Of course this is my experience on it.

Those are usecases that make me want to pull my hair...

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Multitasking. So much said about it. Can anyone tell me how they benefit from it on their phone?
I can't think of doing without it! I've got lots of work docs & files stored on the N900's SD card, I'm SFTP'd into it from both my XP & Ubuntu machines while I work, gpodder is downloading my podcasts, the N900 is chiming the quarters & tops of hours, while I play an internet radio station through it.

In the car, it's in a holder near the mirror playing mp3's through the FM transmitter to my radio while FM Carkit is handling phone calls that come in, & Modrana has a map & navigation up.

At free wifi areas, I'm often looking at powerpoints or docs with word to Go or Slideshow to Go while listening through the headphon to an internet radio station & making notes or using the calculator.

It's the best alarm clock radio I've ever had, the only one that will reliably wake me up. When the sad little low battery sound sometimes goes off, I reflexively tell it that I will get it a charge immediately & feel sorry for it whether I know better or not.

I fear losing this thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
N900 is still my main for music playing because it still has the best media player for mobile on the planet. I'm talking about Open Media Player!

I use my Lumia 800 (and 900) for social stuff like Twitter and Facebook, and various newer apps from Nokia, and also the camera.

I sometimes go back to the N900 for the camera because certain settings in apps like BlessN900, FCamera, or ClassicPrint has quality that I prefer. Sometimes I go back to use TwimGo too. I really like that Twitter client, but it lags out with tweets over an hour or 2 old. Then I switch to Tweed Suit. It's a shame those apps aren't being updated as much now. In fact, none of the apps have even updated so far in 2013, as far as I know..

Nonetheless, I still carry my N900 along with me wherever I go because it's my main Music-on-the-Go device.

// Roth

Last edited by Roth; 2013-02-26 at 01:32.

I still use N900 as my unique device.
Its hw keyboard is very useful to quick manage my customers servers via ssh and Maemo looks better then other systems at least for my use.
The only app I miss is a dvr viewer like kmeye.

The Following User Says Thank You to hcavjr For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900