Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Hi,

since some developers aren't taking seriously the QA rules and there's a lot of room for different interpretations in some cases, like the validity of the bugtracker fields, the Testing Squad decided to write some additional rules to clarify dubious situations: http://wiki.maemo.org/Bugtracker

These rules aren't final and need to be approved by the community as usual, this is just a call for further discussion.

Discussion at -Community ML: http://n2.nabble.com/Validity-criter....html#a4695909

Last edited by VDVsx; 2010-03-08 at 15:48. Reason: ML link

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
With that URL I am a bit afraid that newbies might think that it is the URL for the maemo.org Bugtracker instead. It's not clear that this refers to packages.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'm ok with that. It acknowledges specific alternatives to a formal bug tracking app, which is IMO important.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Yeah i agree, having the types listed is a good idea.

I'd like to see a way of linking some of the great tutorials to the pages like bugtracking etc... so the process can be followed through from beginning to end. Its the little snags like the bugtracker link that have added a week onto my first attempt. But does also prove that if we tighten things up a bit, new coders can almost have an app in extras in under a month... (Not sure if that is good, but feels good to me!)

good point Andre - i probably would have!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
bug tracking app, which is IMO important.
I do have a slightly different opinion. as much as i agree with bug tracking etc... for small projects it isn't allways needed. And after battling through QT and Python, the last thing i wanted was to have to learn Bugtracker, get another login, remember to visit it etc... (OK it's not that bad, as it emails you) - but doesnt portray a nice image to first timers.

I think working alongside the rest of the good single-sign-on work for meego forums and making sure that users can do bugtracking on the forum sign-on would also be a good idea. (As well as all the other options).
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Yeah i agree, having the types listed is a good idea.

I'd like to see a way of linking some of the great tutorials to the pages like bugtracking etc... so the process can be followed through from beginning to end. Its the little snags like the bugtracker link that have added a week onto my first attempt. But does also prove that if we tighten things up a bit, new coders can almost have an app in extras in under a month... (Not sure if that is good, but feels good to me!)
We are also working in a checklist for developers with all the links, in order to smooth the testing process: http://wiki.maemo.org/Prepare_your_a...on_for_testing

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
We are also working in a checklist for developers with all the links, in order to smooth the testing process: http://wiki.maemo.org/Prepare_your_a...on_for_testing
Are you reading my mind? good work.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
I do have a slightly different opinion. as much as i agree with bug tracking etc... for small projects it isn't allways needed. And after battling through QT and Python, the last thing i wanted was to have to learn Bugtracker, get another login, remember to visit it etc... (OK it's not that bad, as it emails you) - but doesnt portray a nice image to first timers.
I'm not sure if making it easy for developers is the point here. Maemo.org has a repository where new developers can play and learn and needn't care at all about good packaging practices.

The whole point of having -devel, -testing and then Extras is that Extras should be a high quality repo that makes it easy for users (and power users who report bugs), not primarily for developers. (It's not all that difficult for developers, though.)

I expect developers who go all the way from -testing to Extras to be serious enough about their projects and their involvement with the community that registering an account @bugzilla and learning how to use the system isn't too much for them.

I'm just very sad how many developers (good developers of useful application) just seem to insist on not following the rules. When I find a project I would love to see in Extras, I cannot vote it up because it's just not "ready". I don't know why devs do something like that, even if you tell them how to correct the problem easily.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Rob1n launched a side discussion regarding the value of encouraging/requiring applications to register their data files for backup. That topic also seems quite worthy of discussion, so I've moved those posts their own thread where that topic will (hopefully) be easier to find and won't side-track this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'm just very sad how many developers (good developers of useful application) just seem to insist on not following the rules. When I find a project I would love to see in Extras, I cannot vote it up because it's just not "ready". I dgon't know why devs do something like that, even if you tell them how to correct the problem easily.
remember not all are tecnically dev's though... There is alot to pickup - so getting it all right first time is a challenge... I had to read hundreds of threads, lots of wiki posts, register at a garage, bugs, get answers on irc and maemo.org, buy 3 books... etc...

So sometimes its just making sure that when they look for help its a pleasure and not a chore

(Allthough you are right ... experienced dev's probably have no excuse) - i'm hoping in my second app, i'm aware of the impending bugtracker doom, and plan sooner