Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
that would definitely please the "use a Raspberry Pi as a Car PC" crowd.

it's a food alternative to installing an Android Car front-end and forwarding Google Maps and Waze.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
New release is out: 1.8.0

Its a big change underneath, but only one bugfix visible for users. This release splits the code into platform-dependent (Sailfish Silica) and platform-independent part (regular QML). Code is reorganized, partly rewritten to allow such support, and support for regular Qt Quick Controls 2 is added. This should pave a way to add support for other platforms (Nemo, Plasma, UBTouch, L5), hopefully attract more developers to our code. In addition, some bugs may show up faster - right now I fixed a bug in page stack wrapper that was not triggering anything in Silica.

As a result of these changes, you can run Pure Maps as a desktop application. Right now, its done via flatpak package that is available at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/releases (for 1.8.0, its https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps...e-maps.flatpak). I'll look into addition to Flathub a bit later, after GUI for specification of API keys will be ready.

Some bugs are expected, I think. Let me know if you hit any - will try to follow up with the bugfixes ASAP.

@pichlo - should we look into your redesign of the navigation UI? You could do it using desktop as well now . Sounds like nobody objected this change, or am I wrong? At least there is no feedback on this channel.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks, rinigus. No feedback may simply mean no one has cared to try
I've been extremely busy the past two weeks, both at work and at home. I wanted to reverse one change in my UI revamp (move the compass back where it used to be) and then look into how to make the navigation block configurable.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks, rinigus. No feedback may simply mean no one has cared to try
I've been extremely busy the past two weeks, both at work and at home. I wanted to reverse one change in my UI revamp (move the compass back where it used to be) and then look into how to make the navigation block configurable.
No problem, I can wait. There is a rather long list of things to do ...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@rinigus, I have merged your 1.8.0 updates into my GitHub fork. I believe it is complete but if you feel like merging with yours, please check again. I do not want to be responsible for breaking your masterpiece.

@others, that means the patch in Openrepos is finally up to date with 1.8.0

I have yet to complete the last change I wanted, make the UI configurable. But that is more or less independent.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@rinigus, I have merged your 1.8.0 updates into my GitHub fork. I believe it is complete but if you feel like merging with yours, please check again. I do not want to be responsible for breaking your masterpiece.

@others, that means the patch in Openrepos is finally up to date with 1.8.0

I have yet to complete the last change I wanted, make the UI configurable. But that is more or less independent.
Great, and now I can test it first on the desktop . I'll take a look into it, bit later this week.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
@ pichlo: Sorry for not testing your patch the last time. Installed it now and will give feedback the next days.

@rinigus. Even so i don't like flatpaks and snaps, I've installed Pure Maps on my Laptop. I know it's just a first version and I don't know if you already want to have feedback for the desktop version. So just in short: It wasn't a very brilliant user experiment (The GUI Elements are HUGE. I didn't found a way to enter the routing module...). If you already want to have detailed feedback let me know.

Keep up your fantastic work. I'm sure it doesn't take long an Pure Maps will also be beautiful on the desktop!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Navigation design: we will probably get some help also from the designer of several L5 mockups. I think @pichlo is on the right track and we will all try to make the UI as good as we can. @pichlo, with the configuration - we probably have to agree on what to put where and then see what to configure.

Desktop: icons are huge, indeed. I filed the issue regarding it. I am planning to tune desktop, but probably not immediately. There are few issues that I'd like to fix first and also push OSM Scout Server instructions (maybe also flatpak) for desktop. So, the users could immediately use it in offline mode. Also, I have to add support for entering personal API keys - otherwise we risk running over limits. Just have to be ready for it. Then we should be able to start pushing desktop versions more.

Re desktop routing - should be on the same spot as usual. Just catching GPS is tricky without it. Hence its probably a thinnish bar on top.

Re flatpak: as a user, I agree, its always better to install repo's version. as a dev, I can see advantages now. Although, as a dev, its not too rosy either.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@rinigus I installed the app, but I'm still unclear on how "search" works. I type in "Starbucks" and get ten results, all at least six hundred miles away (the nearest Starbucks is across the street). I see no option for "search near me" - is there something I'm missing?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
@rinigus I installed the app, but I'm still unclear on how "search" works. I type in "Starbucks" and get ten results, all at least six hundred miles away (the nearest Starbucks is across the street). I see no option for "search near me" - is there something I'm missing?
There are two searches. Note that behavior will somewhat depend on search provider, but general idea is summarized below.

Plain search looks for something that's unique on the Planet. So, you are expected to search for address, including country component. For Starbucks, make it unique - something like "Starbucks, street, town"

Nearby search looks for objects near reference coordinate. In this aspect, you specify your location and search string as "Type". For OSM Scout Server, type and name are entered separately (Starbucks should be in a name) type could be "Any" or cafe, I presume. For other providers, you could use name as a type.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: