If Nokia was google:

1. N900 would be the first platform to get upgrades and features (Like Nexus One)
2. We would have an APP market and developers who gave a s***

now since Maemo is "cancelled" who will develop commercial software for the N900 (a single device)

If I had a blender I know where my N900 would be right now. But for you US guys who have bought a phone on a new platform - that has been discontinued even before the platform is 7 months old - I do think you have "legal" options to get a full refund.

But that was my last Nokia device - now Nokia can go and jump in an ocean somewhere.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by acou View Post
Hey qgil, remember my post and they way you brushed it off?
Of course I do, and I will repeat it again:

The Nokia schedules for Maemo 5 releases are totally independent from the MeeGo project schedules.

This I know well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
If Nokia was google:

1. N900 would be the first platform to get upgrades and features (Like Nexus One)
2. We would have an APP market and developers who gave a s***

now since Maemo is "cancelled" who will develop commercial software for the N900 (a single device)

If I had a blender I know where my N900 would be right now. But for you US guys who have bought a phone on a new platform - that has been discontinued even before the platform is 7 months old - I do think you have "legal" options to get a full refund.

But that was my last Nokia device - now Nokia can go and jump in an ocean somewhere.
So what happens to Qt apps?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Zealand
This is a very sad outcome. I was on the fence reg my next phone. thanks you for helping me make up my mind.

This is the stupidest move of Nokia they ever did, so many People got this Phone, so why will they not support Meego for this Device.

Fact is, when Meego will be released and the first Device for it, the support for Maemo will slowly drop to null.

Maemo will be forgotten and the focus of Nokia and Intel will be Meego, thanks Nokia, I paid 600€ for a dying Device.

I will never buy a Nokia Device again, In fact my next Phone will be IPhone.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let's remember that this all about user experience. Polishing software is a lot of work. Polishing each application for resistive screen (as good as it is) is not trivial considering that we are making the UI for our Nokia product on MeeGo for capacitive screens as we have said already in Maemo Summit 2009.
I somewhat expected MeeGo not to be officialy on the N900. I am fine with that as long as you bring Flash 10.1 and portrait conversations in future updates, along with the assurance that most MeeGo apps will run on Maemo 5. I hope I don't expect too much. Still, thanks for finally releasing PR1.2, I'm glad it is finally out

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
What about them?

Qt does make running a program on a different device a whole lot easier (I mean, I had the time of my life bringing some GTK applications from Diablo to Fremantle; having to use the hildon_gtk_* functions just so that I could get properly styled buttons etc. for one) but:
  • a. You're fooling yourself if all Qt apps are going to be linked to libraries that have equivalents under Fremantle;
  • b. If (commercial) Meego's UI is going to be designed for cap. screens, what's to stop people making their own apps for Meego from doing the same?
  • c. Qt is not magic. Whilst it does a much better job than GTK+ ever did (and I prefer GTK programming a hell of a lot more to Qt programming) in terms of cross-platform compat., it is not magic. Changes will still have to be made. And, let's face it, with this announcement, who the **** is going to buy the N900 now compared to the shiny, new Meego device they could get?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by acou View Post
I knew it, the same psychological trick as before. When Meego was announced, they quickly released a FW update to calm the waves. Now the same. Looks like they think their customers are r3tard3d.

Hey qgil, remember my post and they way you brushed it off?

Luckily i never had any illusions about the smelly, rotten world of corporate politics, but i'm sure you will get a ton of thanks for the next "official" bs-pretext.

Never trust a Nokia drone.
What are you talking about? The situation is the same now as before. You will be able to install MeGoo on the n900 but it will not be an OTA. So nothing needs to be calmed down and nothing have changed. This is the only thing nokia have said. So quit the BS.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
QT apps are the only constant in this whole affair.

The addition of qt 4.6 is supposed to extend the n900's life. The n900 should get ports of the apps that come with the n8

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser