Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Hi,

on Osmo's suggestion, I am going to fork WhoGo Maps and publish my work under a new map application. This is mainly due to the lack of Osmo's time to review all the changes and, as a consequence, to move forward with the map application development. This fork is planned to be permanent and maintained by me.

There is some ground work to be done for proper forking, including arrangement of new API access codes and making translation pages.

The big part that has to be done before release is in finding
  • new name
  • new icons

And here, with the new name and icon, I would like to ask for help. Please use this thread to suggest the name for new app. If needed, we can later make a poll in respect to it.

If you are good with icons, please make one. Its investment in time to make an icon, so warn others that you are on it.

The name of the app would be ideally reflecting its nature. I would like to keep options open in respect of the platform support. I think, while not trivial, its possible to port the current code to other Linux platforms (Nemo, Ubuntu Touch, desktop), so, maybe SFOS could be kept out of it. However, we can always refer to the roots as well. Think about unique features, maybe modularity of backends, how to stand out in the crowd.

As for timeline, I would like to get it all up and running by the end of this week. The new code is ready and tested over ~2K km drive. I may tweak few things, but otherwise, it should be OK. So, the release is mainly behind finding the name, icon, and some behind the scenes work.

Edit: just few screenshots are added
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
maeMaps? OSDrive (open street drive)? SFOSDrive? HereWeDrive?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
How about getting an inspiration from Patchmanager and others and naming it very imaginatively, WhoGo 2?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Great, great, keep them coming. Tiny detail : we have some providers that use not OSM but some other data. I will probably add Here, since, as pointed out by Osmo, they just made a good free plan for their data.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
How about getting an inspiration from Patchmanager and others and naming it very imaginatively, WhoGo 2?
That would depend on Osmo, I consoder WhoGo his trademark and, in future , he may want to develop WhoGo further, which will make 2 or NG bit odd.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I would like to suggest the name PureMaps, since it recalls the roots of this project (Poormaps) and at the same time pure let me think about something free from (google and others) contamination.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
That would depend on Osmo, I consoder WhoGo his trademark
Yes, of course. It was early in the morning, I was not yet fully alert and missed the tiny detail that you are not Osmo

How about WhereYouGo, then?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Maybe something like that?
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Maybe something like that?
If you turn that 90 degrees clockwise, it looks like a looking glass, otherwise it just looks like an icon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I would support @itdoesntmatt with PureMaps even so WhereYouGo is also quite nice. But then I would find WhereWeGo better, just to make clear it's the community which goes somewhere and choose this masterpiece of Sailfish software.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post: