Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
@rinigus take ur time to choose the best name and icon, this is import to start.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
For possible etymological inspiration, let's talk about why modRana is called modRana.

The modRana project started back in 2010 as a fork of Rana, which apparently means "moon/wanderer" in some foreign language according to the original author.

As my fork was a modification of the original Rana software I've called modRana. But there is also another reason - there was traditionally a lot of blue color in the Rana/modRana GUI and blue translates as "modrá" in Czech. This is the second, kinda hidden meaning of the name, which can be approximately translated as "the blue one" in Czech.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
@Fellfrosch try using the "indicator", including the white dot, already as the outer icon layout, and include the earth icon as background. I think that could look quite nice.

(Don't know if you understood what I mean... and I better not try to draw anything, I wouldn't want the forum to implode or something)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
For possible etymological inspiration, let's talk about why modRana is called modRana.

As my fork was a modification of the original Rana software I've called modRana. But there is also another reason - there was traditionally a lot of blue color in the Rana/modRana GUI and blue translates as "modrá" in Czech. This is the second, kinda hidden meaning of the name, which can be approximately translated as "the blue one" in Czech.
ok now I understand why the icon is blue, nice concept.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by txus View Post
@Fellfrosch try using the "indicator", including the white dot, already as the outer icon layout, and include the earth icon as background. I think that could look quite nice.

(Don't know if you understood what I mean... and I better not try to draw anything, I wouldn't want the forum to implode or something)
Just a quick and dirty job...
If rinigus prefers that i make a neat job. In my eyes the world looks now like a disk. Better to say a compact disk
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
why not? kaart, tänav, tänavKaart, kaardid, avatudMap, vabaMap, openMap, libreMap, osmMap, osMap, OSMap, sailMap, sailorMap, planet, planetMap, neptune, neptuno, saturn, saturno, mapbox, map, mapas, maps, horizon, navmap, opennav, navigator, showmap, and many many more.
please no more sailWhatever apps...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Or follow the traditional Linux naming convention (mutt, pine, vi, apache, ant, git, xxd, anjuta...) and make up a name that has nothing to do and gives no indication of what the application is for.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I like Weego because it looks like the Wario of Meego, an OS that fathered Sailfish. It also stays close enough to WhoGo and Here WeGo, which is good to acknowledge where are the roots of this fork.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I like WeeGo because it looks like the Wario of MeeGo, an OS that fathered Sailfish. It also stays close enough to WhoGo and Here WeGo, which is good to acknowledge where are the roots of this fork.
That made me laugh. Just have a look what wee in english means.
Even so I find it funny, WeeGo is a NoGo

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Damn, forgot about that. Stupid Anglo-Saxons! Seems however that it is more often used to describe something tiny (no, no that) or yell excitement (Weeee!) than as a synonym of you know what, isn't? I'd happily travel with my wee Jolla and Weego app.

(Yet I found at least two other brands named Weego, one for products to carry babies, one for portable batteries; and no, I don't think they are related and meant to power your babies on the go).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-08-21 at 14:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: