Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Probably that's the reason, why I have both installed. Is flite supporting german? is it better than picoTTS?
not to my knowledge. you are stuck with picoTTS (kinda dead end, not developed anymore). maybe there is mimic update that supports German, but I don't know that. At the moment when I packaged it for SFOS, it did not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
not to my knowledge. you are stuck with picoTTS (kinda dead end, not developed anymore). maybe there is mimic update that supports German, but I don't know that. At the moment when I packaged it for SFOS, it did not.
No big bummer if it is a dead end or not. As long as it works of course

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
For the record, I like the idea of showing the speed limit only when it differs from default. It is a nice reminder to be extra careful.

A few initial observations, in the chronological order:
  1. The default setting seem a bit "wrong". Of course, de gustibus non disputandum est, but I would expect OSM Scout to be the default maps provider
  2. Search and Navigation have their own provider settings. That is fine and some may find it useful, but I would expect the default to follow the setting of the maps provider and only diverge when the user explicitly tells it to.
  3. The application crashed on the first search. It took a while, as OSM Scout searches always do, so I took that opportunity to swipe to Home screen to check something and... Pure Maps took that opportunity to crash. Without saving my preferences. The second time I left it finish the search without disturbing it and it was fine.
  4. The landscape view seems a bit cluttered compared to portrait.
  5. I really like the view while navigating (driving). The tilt, rotation and especially the zoom (especially street names) are just perfect.

(Some if not most of the above are inherited from WhoGo Maps but I had been using WhoGo for so long that I had forgotten about them. Only starting a new application that had not the default changed yet to my liking has highlighted them.)

A few more advanced observations (again, none of them are new):
  1. In the Maps settings, what is the difference between OSM Scout Day and OSM Scout Day English?
  2. I don't think most people associate the difference between day and night with switching the map provider. I certainly don't. I would expect it to be a quick switch in a very prominent place. Something you can do quickly and easily while driving at 120 km/h on a motorway.
  3. The voice instructions told me to turn into A404, which it pronounced as "eigh-four-four" instead of "eigh-four-oh-four". This happened several times, so I was not hearing it wrong. Or maybe I was but consistently
  4. I have mentioned this before in the WhoGo thread, but still... I found "drive for 4/10 of a mile" a bit odd. I think I finally figured out why. The SI system is wonderful not because it uses meters and kilograms, but because it is decimal. In contrast, the imperial system never uses the decimal notation. A foot is 12 inches, not 10. A mile is 1760 yards (4 furlongs, 80 chains), not 1000.
    Fractions work in a similar way: everything is in halves, thirds, quarters, eights and twelfths. Examples: 5/8", 2/3 mile... Cooking recipes mention 1/4 lb, 3/4 oz etc, unlike metric recipes with their 125 ml and 250 g (not 1/8 litre and 1/4 kg).
    "4/10 of a mile" simply does not fit this paradigm. I realize this is too much work for such a minor cosmetic thing so I am just throwing it in as a curious observation, not a change request.

All the above said, I really appreciate the work you put in it and the continued development of an independent navigation solution for Sailfish. Thank you!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[*]The application crashed on the first search. It took a while, as OSM Scout searches always do, so I took that opportunity to swipe to Home screen to check something and... Pure Maps took that opportunity to crash. Without saving my preferences. The second time I left it finish the search without disturbing it and it was fine.
I've experienced a very similar behaviour, after it crashed it could not start again. I did try few times to start it again but it was failing to start. I was not patient enough and restarted the phone (XperiaX). After that Pure Maps works fine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
(XperiaX)
Thank you for that. I forgot to say that mine is Jolla 1. So it seems that the low specs might not be the problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Hello,

having been using WhoGo maps predecessor for some time, I would like to know if Pure maps could be updated with... :

1. Destination-less navigation :
displaying the 3D autorotating tilted map like when navigating, but without needing to enter a destination. Basically: Being able to use the App as any dedicated satnav (Tomtom, Garmin, etc.) and get the useful informations from the navigation screen while simply driving around.

2. Foreign-language street names :

Currently when speaking out navigation instruction, the whole sentence string is passed as-is to the speech engine. Which usually gives rise to "To turn right into {completely garbled name }"
(e.g.: last week I was vacationing in Portugal, and the English text-to-speech engine was unable to meaningfully handle the local names).
It's probably going to be even worse if the street names aren't even written in latin script.

In case of using an engine that supports multiple language (like pico with english, german, etc.), would it be possible to flag the street names as the foreign language so that the correct "text-to-phoneme" processor handles it ?
I'm almost sure that the openstreet maps data has the necessary tagging for that.
The question is : does the speech engine support tags to mark different languages (I haven't been playing with TTS engine for at least a decade) ?

Alternative fallbacks would be to generate and concatenate the different parts separately (one separate job on the TTS engine for each separate language block) while using correct punctuation to avoid having the intonation mark an end of sentence.
(pico.say("Turn left into...", "en-US"); pico.say("Hautpbahnhofstrasse.", "de-DE"); )

Another alternative would be to check which speech engine exposes the text-to-phoneme step separately (the one I used I long time ago did), to concatenate them at the phoneme step, and hope that the final phoneme-to-audio engine will be able to manage all the diverse phonemes.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Thank you all for providing constructive feedback. I will go through it in multiple replies to keep it trackable.

Now, before I start, I want just to remind that there is some way before we hit 2.0 version

Let's start with the crashes.

On my device (onyx, 3GB RAM), I occasionally see it not starting from launcher (WhoGo and, later, Pure Maps). I will check next time whether app process from earlier start is still working. You could try to do the same (See corresponding discussion at WhoGo thread, around https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100253&page=16)

In addition, sometimes, when starting from terminal, there are some exceptions thrown in what looks like C++ (Mapbox GL plugin, Mapbox GL itself, or something else, no idea).

However, I haven't experienced crashes while running. To me, it sounds like OOM kill and not much I can do about that.

Let's keep an eye on it and when you have some reproducible info, please open an issue.

Will go through other points separately...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I really like both suggestions/requests.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
There are a few things I am missing since Poor Maps, so I'll just list them here as you seem to be full of energy still.
Let's see for how long . Main thing is not to overcommit, so expect slower months in development as well. But the target is to compete with the best apps, not just the native ones.

- I've always found the options confusing in the way they are organized. I think they need to be a bit better spatialized, i.e., make it obvious what is a sub-menu and what is a main page, whether the settings toggle are restricted to a sub-application (like Navigating) or the full application, whether they are permanent or just temporary for the current trip, etc. We have the Sailfish page indicator which is usually great and minimalist, but might be insufficient at times for complex applications like Pure Maps.

I don't have any clear suggestion in mind, I just find it hard to step back and clearly know in advance where to find a particular setting. I know the settings are already shown in the pages corresponding to the sub-menus, but I don't know, there is something I can't explain. Maybe it's just because there are many configuration options (which is good), or because items are big (which is good too for a navigation application), or because all items look the same regardless of whether they are settings, recent searches, POI categories, search options, router selection. I just feel it is hard to quickly figure out where is what, is that option on the same level as that one, and so on.

I am not a daily user, which makes it hard to really know the application by heart, but I feel it could be a bit more straightforward and be useful to all those like me that tend to use the application only when they are already panicking because they are going to be late somewhere.
I am open for redesign, if needed. As a user, I think the only problem for me was to figure out what's Nearby for. Otherwise all was very clear. Obviously, now I find it all very intuitive and its hard for me to judge the user friendliness.

Note that application has grown over the years and so has the number of options. Expect more of them to appear (requests were/are flying in before and after the fork). So, one way to approach it, would be to think through the designs (you don't even need to program for it) and when all would seem to fit, we can approach redesigning the app.

Please try to remember the confusing parts next time and write them up, probably via opening an issue at Github and advertising it here. So, we could have separate discussion on it, see if others are confused similarly, and how to resolve it.

- It is also difficult sometimes to know what does what and whether I should change that or that. I'm not familiar with the routers, and what you explained here for Stadia for instance, I would never have guessed. I don't even know why or if I should use another one in other situations. Same for maps, a keyword and a preview would help greatly, though default maps are clearly identified so I can go back to the "dev's suggestion" easily if I am not sure. Maybe it would be possible to better expose what features are offered by each specific options, and whether there are obvious cons. Restricting the available options depending on whether the map data in use is supplied by OSM Server or not would help too I suppose. Not sure if doable.
I am planning to formulate recommended suggestions for online and offline services (offline seems to be without competition these days) and a way to simply switch between them.

Partially, we have so many online providers, since there is no one perfectly filling the bill. I am also going to add HERE as a provider, at least for search/routing. But, in the end, we will have to formulate the recommended providers and give a simple way to switch to them.

- I would love to be able to control OSM Server from the map application, something like:
Code:
Map data >
   Offline maps >
      Toggle on/off
      Download the maps you want to use offline > 
         List of areas, and the download folder
Sorry, this is not going to happen with my help. I much more prefer unixy "stick to one task and do it well". OSM Scout Server was written to be client-independent and I would like to keep it that way. In theory, I can write DBus service that would allow you to configure it via clients, but it will take significant amount of time on the server side and on the client side to implement it. Taking into account other priorities, it looks to be postponed forever.

- Sometimes it would be good to be able to show all POIs next to the current location without any specific preselected category, but instead category icons on the map. Or, at least, having the possibility to preselect several categories. There are so many different keywords for food for instance, you never know if selecting Restaurants will show everything or if what you are looking for would instead be in Food, French Restaurant, Belgian Restaurant, Bagel Shop, Bakery, Breakfast spot, Burger, Café, etc. I know the keywords are inherited from the search service being used (and again here pointers would be helpful to choose one), but they are all cluttered so sometimes selecting several would just be easier, without the fear of missing something. Maybe even allowing the user to save some searches, so that he can do a meta search with all food-related stuff and then just select this meta-type later without bothering with the million keywords from Foursquare again.
This suggestion just opened few issues all around the place.

Icons on a map and search data are stored in different databases. If based on OSM, data comes from the same source, but handled via separate imports.

I would expect that Foursquare has some types predefined which should include different food shops/cafes/... But I never looked into it. Note that Foursquare maybe will become problematic due to their low allowed search limits. Let's see how good HERE is as a replacement in future.

I opened corresponding issues:

https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/20
https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/279

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
The default setting seem a bit "wrong". Of course, de gustibus non disputandum est, but I would expect OSM Scout to be the default maps provider
I am planning to make separate defaults for online and offline services with a simple way. It will take some time to implement it properly.

Search and Navigation have their own provider settings. That is fine and some may find it useful, but I would expect the default to follow the setting of the maps provider and only diverge when the user explicitly tells it to.
Well, Mapbox as a search provider and router will be probably just out of our reach due to its price. So, it makes sense to mix and match and use the best online provider for corresponding service. But there should be some easy way to set defaults and that I plan to add.

crashes discussed separately

The landscape view seems a bit cluttered compared to portrait.
Ideas for making more space are welcome!

I really like the view while navigating (driving). The tilt, rotation and especially the zoom (especially street names) are just perfect.
Maybe will be better in future, see below

In the Maps settings, what is the difference between OSM Scout Day and OSM Scout Day English?
It shows names in English instead of local language, if possible. Makes a major difference in Japan, for example.

I don't think most people associate the difference between day and night with switching the map provider. I certainly don't. I would expect it to be a quick switch in a very prominent place. Something you can do quickly and easily while driving at 120 km/h on a motorway.
Agreed, its just a current implementation. Situation is somewhat more different when you take navigation into account. See https://blog.mapbox.com/better-maps-...n-e2a41b9dc048 for example showing 2 map styles (one for planning navigation, one for navigating) for day and same for night. Right now, I just added zoom factor to switch between pre- and during navigation settings, but this can be refined further. Let's see if we get there.

The voice instructions told me to turn into A404, which it pronounced as "eigh-four-four" instead of "eigh-four-oh-four". This happened several times, so I was not hearing it wrong. Or maybe I was but consistently
It could be an issue with TTS engine, but can't help you there much. You could check what is spoken by running Pure Maps from terminal and then checking out what was said.

I have mentioned this before in the WhoGo thread, but still... I found "drive for 4/10 of a mile" a bit odd. I think I finally figured out why. The SI system is wonderful not because it uses meters and kilograms, but because it is decimal. In contrast, the imperial system never uses the decimal notation. A foot is 12 inches, not 10. A mile is 1760 yards (4 furlongs, 80 chains), not 1000.
Fractions work in a similar way: everything is in halves, thirds, quarters, eights and twelfths. Examples: 5/8", 2/3 mile... Cooking recipes mention 1/4 lb, 3/4 oz etc, unlike metric recipes with their 125 ml and 250 g (not 1/8 litre and 1/4 kg).
"4/10 of a mile" simply does not fit this paradigm. I realize this is too much work for such a minor cosmetic thing so I am just throwing it in as a curious observation, not a change request.
I think it corresponds to Valhalla's issue filed at https://github.com/valhalla/valhalla/issues/874 . Please add your examples there to make it happen. All we do on Pure Maps side is saying what the router told us to say

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: