Active Topics

Notices

As long as I cannot get the full functionality to harbour I will publish "Forbidden Fruits" versions in OpenRepos: https://openrepos.net/content/cy8aer/podqast.

This version has rudimentary mpris support (Controls on start screen).

I have tried to do this with simple DBus but I do not know how to give functions and properties upper case names in QML DBus. And mpris defines upper case names. If there is someone who has an idea how to map qml names to upper case: please tell me how to do this.

Last edited by cy8aer; 2018-10-18 at 05:36.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
I am asked for a roadmap. Let me show the things I have in my agenda:
  • Bug fixing...
  • Native MPRIS support with harbour tools. Bluetooth key handling
  • Archive all in inbox. (next release)
  • Set list element limit - partly in next release. This is helpful if a podcast changes internal structure and all posts are suddenly new. And it may de-stress the user...
  • Opml export. Backup methods
  • When downloading while playing: swap to file it downloaded
  • Better download handling: Download later if it fails
  • Move data to sd card
  • Warning if streamed when on mobile
  • Correct cover behaviour on startup
  • Alter playing speed
  • Possibilities to search in Inbox, History, and Favorites
  • Download favorites
  • Filter chaptermarks - do only play the chapters you want
  • Download limit: do not download when more than xMB are already stored
  • Sleep timer if we do not use slumber
  • Settable refresh time
  • Let already listened posts in the playlist (Pritlove wish)
  • Documentation (sic!): https://gitlab.com/cy8aer/podqast/wikis/home will be the root of the docs.

Update:
  • Better podcast subscribe page and subscribe handling
  • Switch to alternative codec if supported by podcast
I cannot say: hey feature x will come next monday. First of all: I want to have a good podcast player for myself. Some features are not as important than for others. Some already made merge requests for other languages. Thanks for that. As other projects say: It will be ready when it is ready...

Last edited by cy8aer; 2018-10-23 at 17:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
ooooooh much margins work is needed (I just look at the light themes in 3.0...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
ooooooh much margins work is needed (I just look at the light themes in 3.0...)
Done with 1.3-0(ff) (mostly found another margin thingie after releasing...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
I note that podQast does not handle network drops well. In the past few days, I have lost reception twice while the app was doing something - downloading an episode in one case, adding a podcast in another - and in both cases even after the network came back I was unable to do anything that required a connection until I closed and reopened the app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Boston
Maybe it is me coming from podcatcher, but I am not seeing the subscriptions I imported as automatically being downloaded, nor do I see a way to trigger that, the subscriptions show only the ones from the say I added them but not any new ones after they have been published. How do I trigger it to check and download new ones? I like the play feature where it keeps the time that it was played at and I can listen to another podcast in between and come back to an old one. Great work! Looking forward to the updated.

The Following User Says Thank You to marxistvegan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I note that podQast does not handle network drops well. In the past few days, I have lost reception twice while the app was doing something - downloading an episode in one case, adding a podcast in another - and in both cases even after the network came back I was unable to do anything that required a connection until I closed and reopened the app.
Yes this is not handled very well. But it is getting better: e.g. In version 1.7-0(ff) the downloading of queue episodes is re-initiated when the net is stable again. You can trigger a re-download by leaving the playlist and enter it again or wait 2 minutes. Then the next re-download is triggered.

Last edited by cy8aer; 2018-11-24 at 14:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxistvegan View Post
Maybe it is me coming from podcatcher, but I am not seeing the subscriptions I imported as automatically being downloaded, nor do I see a way to trigger that, the subscriptions show only the ones from the say I added them but not any new ones after they have been published. How do I trigger it to check and download new ones? I like the play feature where it keeps the time that it was played at and I can listen to another podcast in between and come back to an old one. Great work! Looking forward to the updated.
I hope I understand your problems: just a quick explanation of the concept: You can globally define what happens to a new episode (preferences: global settings) top of playlist/bottom of playlist puts the episode to the playlist. If you switch on download of episodes/additional load on mobile the episodes are downloaded in the playlist. Otherwise they are streamed.

You can also configure every podcast to top/bottom playlist it's episodes: Library - longpress to podcast -> settings icon (wheel) OR press on the icon of every episode -> in the then opening overview of the podcast's episodes press the top left settings Icon (wheel).

In Inbox/history/queue: clicking on the icons move to the podcast overview (and the possibility to do settings (wheel). Clicking on the other parts of an episodes moves to the episode description. Longpress for other functionality.

So for your question - as I understand: You need to know that every podcast has it's possibility to put it's posts to the playlist - and they will be downloaded when set in preferences. If you remove any episode from the playlist (or when it is put into history after beeing played) the audio file will be deleted! In a future release I will have some smoother ways for that: Option "download favorites" - so starred episodes will be saved and the possibility to hold $count played episodes in the playlist (Pritlove wish) so that you can quickly listen/switch to just played episodes.

And in 1.7-0(ff) the download will be better handled if you have networking failures.

Another thing: Podqast is episode oriented - not podcast oriented:The episodes know where they come from and you can restore the podcast e. g. for subscribing - but the podcasts do not need to be subscribed. It is possible to just put one episode of a podcast into the playlist: discover any podcast, look at the full list (yes the bigger icon in the podcast overview gets you to the full list) longpress one episode and choose what should be done with it. I am not happy with the podcast overview/subscribe page (first/last entry is nuts with the full list icon). It would be better to have more information about the podcast there (url to the web page, format and stuff like that).

Sorry the writing of a useful manual (at gitlab) is on my queue but not very advanced.

Last edited by cy8aer; 2018-11-24 at 14:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Version 1.7-0(ff): because it took too much time to implement everything I now have an "experimental" flag in preferences. If switched on you can look at some stuff which is not fully implemented but may be helpful.

In 1.7 with experimental switched on you will have an export page in discover. There you can make a backup. This will create a tarball at ~nemo/podqast-$(date).tar.tz. But actual I do not have a restore functionality. What can you do with this backup tarball?

The tarball includes the icons and the data structure at the point of backup. No audio files.

Manually restore:

Close podqast...

Code:
cd ~/.local/share
mv harbour-podqast harbour-podqast.org # or if you are brave: delete it...
mkdir harbour-podqast
cd harbour-podqast
tar xzf ~/podqast-file.tar.gz
If you then restart podqast 1.7up will then re-download all audio stuff in the playlist and you will be at the point of backup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxistvegan View Post
Maybe it is me coming from podcatcher, but I am not seeing the subscriptions I imported as automatically being downloaded, nor do I see a way to trigger that, the subscriptions show only the ones from the say I added them but not any new ones after they have been published.
Ah and only new episodes after subscribing will be automatically handled. All posts at the point of subscription must be handled manually. Probably we can make a preferences parameter for put to playlist/downloading the last $count episodes after subscription. What do you think?

Last edited by cy8aer; 2018-11-24 at 14:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post: