Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Thanks for info. The more I play, the more I am impressed. Any idea why google sat does not display. UI indicated tiles were downloaded and nothing when connected wirelessly either, at any zoom level.
Watch out Mappero, here comes Modrana.

Can't wait for the POI work to finish, I've been SOL navigation-wise since the POIs were broken in Mappero.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Any idea why google sat does not display.
Well, its simple Google does not support downloading their map and satellite tiles outside their web application. When they detect somebody downloading too many tiles, they ban his ip-address for about 24 hours. Because Openaerialmap is currently dead, there unfortunately appears to be no official way of getting satellite/aerial map tiles.

Originally Posted by jd4200
Where does one obtain map tiles for said application?
Map tiles are automatically downloaded from the Internet, no need to get them externally.

Also, I released version 0.12, a small bugfix release.

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-07-21 at 16:03. Reason: fix typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Cordoba,Argentina
This looks impressive indeed! Any idea on if you can make it compatible with libgarmin? Now THAT would be a killer!

Thanks so much

Originally Posted by esiravegna View Post
Any idea on if you can make it compatible with libgarmin? Now THAT would be a killer!
I tried to search a bit but couldn't find much info about the libgarmin project. But from what I found, it appears to be a parser for Garmin map files, so a vector map renderer would be needed to actually draw the map from the parsed data.

ModRana currently has no vector map renderer and all map layers are created from tiled images. So, it doesnt look too good for libgarmin in the short term...

In the long term, I plan to find some renderer that integrates well with Python and Py/GTK to add vector map support to modRana. Then I can try to somehow wrestle it to also render Garmin maps

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Wow, looks impressing!

What about to increase your audience and uploading it to maemo extras?

Have a look at one of the easiest ways:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/python2.5-py2deb/

And don't forget to fix the bucktracker issue:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Py2deb

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Thanks for this app, it looks great so far!

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, this is strange, the settings should be automatically saved each time you change anything in options. So this can signalize there is a problem in loading or storing the settings.

If you want to help me troubleshoot it, you can run modrana from the terminal (just type modrana in the terminal) and copy the output after a crash/settings not saved/other bug.
It's true, the settings aren't being saved

Here's a snippet from stdout when run from terminal:

Code:
Clicked,  sending set:layer2:vsat|options:save|set:needRedraw:1
saving options
Can't save options
There's a whole bunch of those lines.

Feature request: Please add auto-rotate map so that the direction in which you're moving is at the top of the screen.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
What about to increase your audience and uploading it to maemo extras?
OK OK, I'm already working on it.
I finally managed to integrate the py2deb scratchbox build to my main build script and I already send an inviote request for the Autobuilder.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
It's true, the settings aren't being saved

Here's a snippet from stdout when run from terminal:

Code:
Clicked,  sending set:layer2:vsat|options:save|set:needRedraw:1
saving options
Can't save options
There's a whole bunch of those lines.
There can be something wrong with the file storing the options (/opt/modrana/data/options.bin). There are a few things you can try to fix it:
  • check permissions for that file
  • delete the file while modRana isn't running (new one will be automatically created at next start)
  • remove modRana with the --purge parameter:
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge modrana
    (this deletes the folder /opt/modrana and everything in it) and reinstall it
I'll also make it more verbose, so it should be easier to find out what exactly went wrong when the saving failed.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Feature request: Please add auto-rotate map so that the direction in which you're moving is at the top of the screen.
OK, I added a feature request ticket for it. Some thing to note:
  • text can be upside down after rotation
  • performance - maybe this would need some sort of acceleration to be usable

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hi MartinK! My attempts to turn on the logging feature crash the program, the map image disappears, it becomes unresponsive. Good that it can use OpenStreetMap, a feature to submit new map elements (like, if I walk and see a new road or building) to their server would be great. Seems that it isn't remembering any of my user settings upon program restart. The interface is vivid, settings clear, it's multi-featured. Thank you! ~~Gryllida

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gryllida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
There can be something wrong with the file storing the options (/opt/modrana/data/options.bin). There are a few things you can try to fix it:
  • check permissions for that file
OK that file doesn't exist. Reason being that most (all?) of the directories under /opt/modrana/ is owned by user "1000" (which doesn't exist on my system) and hence user "user" isn't able to create a new file. I fixed it by:
Code:
chmod o+w /opt/modrana/data/
Now file is created and options are saved OK

OK, I added a feature request ticket for it. Some thing to note:
Many thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps