Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure how common this is, but I just had my first N9 crash. I opened the stock browser, went to xda-developers.com, and after a while my N9 said Web stopped responding. I opted not to close it, thinking it may start working again, but then my N9 locked up.

Swype continued working, however I could not launch a single app from that point on, including basic ones like Phone, Camera, Messages, etc. Reboot fixed everything.

I did not want to revisit xda-developers.com again to see if I could replicate the crash before asking if you guys experienced anything like this.

Last edited by cr0c0; 2012-04-06 at 22:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Had the same issue on my n9 the other day, don't remember the website i was visiting. But symptoms were almost identical. Swipe worked but couldn't open any new app. Checked dmesg and saw a bunch of out of memory and QtWebkit errors. Phone rebooted on its own after a few secs. Haven't seen the issue again since then.

Looks like some kind of memory leak in the new WebKit introduced in PR1.2.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Mauritius
Also got that problem yesterday. Couldn't launch any apps. Held the power button and it rebooted.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Good to know... I wonder if Nokia will ever get around to fixing this issue.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
never had the n9 crash or freeze yet.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manaus, Brazil
Same problem here. Looks like QtWebProcess is leaking memory. I was not able to kill the process manually, even "ps ax" was hanging. Only solution was a reboot.

The Following User Says Thank You to lizardo For This Useful Post:
yep, had the same issue once, i had several browser windows open (id say around 8-10) when suddenly all of them just closed and ic ouldnt open anything buy the phone and a few more apps, had to turn the phone off with the button, since i couldnt start any other apps.

Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
I'm not sure how common this is, but I just had my first N9 crash. I opened the stock browser, went to xda-developers.com, and after a while my N9 said Web stopped responding. I opted not to close it, thinking it may start working again, but then my N9 locked up.

Swype continued working, however I could not launch a single app from that point on, including basic ones like Phone, Camera, Messages, etc. Reboot fixed everything.

I did not want to revisit xda-developers.com again to see if I could replicate the crash before asking if you guys experienced anything like this.
I had this also on xda-developers.com today. No crashes this far (months) but now I had to reboot with the long press of power button. I was in a tricky spot 3g wise, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it.

This url killed my N9 three times in a row:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1530179

As Lizardo said it looks like QtWebProcess is ballooning. Even 256 MB ramswap is used up.

I was able to load whole page, but just barely, and when I tried to scroll the page and after that open a new browser window, even the terminal htop and top sessions froze completely.

Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
This url killed my N9 three times in a row:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1530179
That didn't "kill" my N9 browser even i had few other apps open.

First i tried with firefox and that was quite fast and only few megabytes was swapped... With stock-browser swap was used about 80M...

FF was very usable vs. stock browser...

FF - 8/10
Stock browser - 5/10

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post: