Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Hey guys, awful day I had yesterday, visited some friends, we were having beers and loud music, we needed some more music so I plugged in my cellphone to their Laptop, everything went well so far, the problem started later on when I took a picture and noticed that the phone says no Images stored, checked the music and everything was there, today I checked the music and it's also gone.Tried a reboot and no luck, decided to plug it in to my PC with an updated Anti-Virus, 27 viruses detected and deleted. Music & Images are still there in the memory card but can't view them with the phone... What do I do now? Is there an Anti-Virus to stop this from happening in the future!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
lol. it's PC virus for infecting FlashDrives, not MeeGo
it will infect your PC, if you connected phone to your PC via Mass Storage mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
lol. it's PC virus for infecting FlashDrives, not MeeGo
it will infect your PC, if you connected phone to your PC via Mass Storage mode.
How does this help me view my pictures on my phone? Viruses have been cleaned now!

A full reflash should fix your device . There are no viruses for meego/maemo , but some PC viruses may target parts of system that are similar to a PC .

This is all I see now, where did everything go?

Name:  N9.jpg
Views: 4462
Size:  40.5 KB

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
This is all I see now, where did everything go?

Attachment 26587
did you enable "show hidden files" under Windows?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
FAT32 file system is a time bomb. Better avoid that evil USB cable (except for charging) and transfer data via SFTP. It's more comfortable and safer. Microsoft's FAT32 is prone to break.
This does not only apply to the N9 but also the N900 and all other devices that provide FAT32 mass storage mode.

If you really have to plug in that evil USB cable, always make sure that you only remove it once you have cleanly unmounted the file system.

As for your problem, use the evil USB cable once more to run scandisk or fsck on the phone's memory. This may help.

As for sharing music, the N9 has a built-in DLNA server since PR 1.2. It would be safer to use this one the next time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
FAT32 file system is a time bomb. Better avoid that evil USB cable (except for charging) and transfer data via SFTP. It's more comfortable and safer. Microsoft's FAT32 is prone to break.
This does not only apply to the N9 but also the N900 and all other devices that provide FAT32 mass storage mode.

If you really have to plug in that evil USB cable, always make sure that you only remove it once you have cleanly unmounted the file system.

As for your problem, use the evil USB cable once more to run scandisk or fsck on the phone's memory. This may help.

As for sharing music, the N9 has a built-in DLNA server since PR 1.2. It would be safer to use this one the next time.
Thanx for the advice, DLNA always requires a router to work isn't it? The guys didn't have a router so I couldn't use DLNA. In my house I have a PS3 connected to the router, when I switch on my DLNA on PS3 immediately sees the N9 and files can be copied, how would I do this with a Laptop without the router in place?

Secondly, do U mind giving me step by step instructions how to Scandisk / fsck?

When using File Manager I'm able to see my Pics only. The other thing, when taking a picture, then clicking on Galary, it's empty since this incidence.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Thanx for the advice, DLNA always requires a router to work isn't it? The guys didn't have a router so I couldn't use DLNA. In my house I have a PS3 connected to the router, when I switch on my DLNA on PS3 immediately sees the N9 and files can be copied, how would I do this with a Laptop without the router in place?
Yes, they need to be in the same network. If there is no router, you could try to set up an adhoc-network. But that would be huge battery drainer.
Another option would be to use the USB cable in network mode (this may need to have developer mode enabled) to have a direct network connection to your laptop. Then you could access all contents on the phone via SFTP without having to mount the FAT32 MMC.

Secondly, do U mind giving me step by step instructions how to Scandisk / fsck?
Maybe someone else has more experience with it on Windows and can help.

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
do U mind giving me step by step instructions how to Scandisk / fsck?
Scandisk is the name on older WIN OS. For WIN 7 it's called Checkdisk. fsck is a similar tool on LINUX OS.

Connect ur N9 as mass storage device and use Checkdisk following these steps:
http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Hope this helps.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post: