Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Hey guys I have finally achieved my little test with installing Games to the N900 into eMMC 27GB partition instead of 2GB Opt partition. After a lot of Trail and errors I've succeeded Got my Sim3 folder intalled on my FAT32 partition instead of Opt. Saving a hug chunk of space in Opt.

The process may takes quite a bit of work but it worth the time and efforts. I've simplified the process to make it Newbie compatible

Here is the step:

1. First extract your xxx.ipk file with either zip utilities such 7zips or any others.

2. Connect the N900 to your Computer via SSH (You can do via commandline also but required more works). Screenshots

3. Create a folder called Games (Anything you would like in this example I'll use "Games") in /home/user/ directory. And right click on the Games folder then set the permision to user 29999. (Look at the screenshots)

4. Now browse to your MyDocs partition "/home/user/MyDocs/" and create another folder called Games or anything you'd like.
- right click on Games and apply the permission like the picture below.

- Create a folder called Sim3 (for game called Sim3, for other games use the appropriate name for it. You'll need it later), and inside the Sim3 folder create another folder in the following path like: /home/user/MyDocs/Games/Sim3/usr/palm/com.ea.app.sims

Copy the extracted files from .ipk file and copy it to your

5. inside /home/user/MyDocs/Games/Sim3/usr/palm/applications/com.ea.app.sims/
folder, you should now see a file called "sims" right click and properties and check the permission setting. Should look like below:

Click OK to confirm.

6. Go back to /home/user/Games, and copy the file called: sims from your "ipk" extracted folder to here.
Right click and set the permission like below:

7. Now this is the SymLink part. On your N900, open Xterminal and login as ROOT.

root
for file in /home/user/MyDocs/Games/Sim3/usr/palm/applications/com.ea.app.sims/res_sims3/; do ln -s "$file" /home/user/Games/Sim3/; done

Finally:

Now create these files for Sim3 game:
You can create the icon file by using desktopgen command, make sure you put the Appinfo.json into /home/user/Games/Sim3 then:

root
preenv
desktopgen /home/user/Games/Sim3/appinfo.json

For Asphalt5 and Monopoly and few other games you will have to create a folder inside /home/user/Game/Asphalt5/Asphalt5

This can be done via SSH or commandline.
Xterminal: mkdir /home/user/Games/Asphalt5/Aphalt5
SSH: Create new directory
Copy the file called: Asphalt5 to the folder you just created and then symlinks other files from the FAT32 there.

for file in /home/user/MyDocs/Games/Asphalt5/usr/palm/applications/com.gameloft.app.asphalt5/Asphalt5/*; do ln -s "$file" /home/user/Games/Asphalt5/Asphalt5/; done

Following this step for Monopoly as well and other games

Done!
Enjoy!
I may have missed a few steps along the way but this should be good enough for now. This tutorial is based on Sim3 game it works for NFS Undercover and others as well.

Sorry I forgot to remove some old steps i took but now it should be fine I have removed the old step 6 and now should make the tutorial much easier.

Good luck

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-11-07 at 00:15.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ mauritius
thanks for this! seems a bit complicated though :P

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by cedlmw View Post
thanks for this! seems a bit complicated though :P
Complicated but will save you a lot of space

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
The first part is simple enough and I don't mind doing it but creating files? I don't have SSH do I don't know how to do this

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Originally Posted by RenaldoTT View Post
The first part is simple enough and I don't mind doing it but creating files? I don't have SSH do I don't know how to do this
Have you got a Windows Machine or Linux?
Creating file is easy. Just open up text editor and paste the setting in and rename it to .desktop and .service.

Install SSH and WiNSCP on windows machine and you're good to go. Otherwise if you're a Commandline sage then you should not having any difficulty in dooing it via commandline, GUI method is faster and easier

Tested this method with Need for speed, Monopoly, Asphalt5 and Sim3
It works flawlessly and now I do not need the game folders in my Opt

Saved lots of MBs, the more games you've got the more you saved

for Asphalt5 you'll need to make a save folder

mkdir -p /home/user/webos/gamesave
ln -s /home/user/webos/gamesave /media/internal

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
sorry to hijack thread but what is the quality of Ashphalt game compared to NFSU? thanks cant be bothered doing all this if the games no good. cant really be bothered doing it either way.... nice tut though Maxx.

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
sorry to hijack thread but what is the quality of Ashphalt game compared to NFSU? thanks cant be bothered doing all this if the games no good. cant really be bothered doing it either way.... nice tut though Maxx.
Depends, Asphalt5 is like Need for speed underground, NFSU is need for speed undercover.

Story line is different. Different cars and different maps and customisation.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
Asphalt usually has better gameplay on handhelds though because Gameloft makes great games

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

The Following User Says Thank You to RenaldoTT For This Useful Post:
are these for NITDROID ?