Active Topics

Happened to me after uninstalling Mauku widget, which doesn't seem to work. At least the widgets remember their positions.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I've also had a similar problem ever since the release firmware.

When I click on Change Backg
round, nothing happens, and it blanks my widgets. Some reload and some don't.

Re-Flashes don't work, so I assume it's one of the apps I'm using.

Send me a quick PM if you're also experiencing this problem.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-03-07 at 14:51.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
From what I've experienced what I can surely tell is that atleast one or more widgets in your desktop have bugs and thats causing all the widgets to disappear. It occurs at the point when the widget, due to some coding error, suffers segmentation fault or something and closes other desktop widgets (other than that comes with the device) along with it.
I had this just once while using media player widget but as I was testing my own package (desktop widget of course) I had this every time it was suffering segmentation fault and closed all the widgets I have installed from extras, *-testing, *-devel except the ones provided by nokia.
However, if there's other causes as well then that's beyond my experience

The Following User Says Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
From what I've experienced what I can surely tell is that atleast one or more widgets in your desktop have bugs and thats causing all the widgets to disappear. It occurs at the point when the widget, due to some coding error, suffers segmentation fault or something and closes other desktop widgets (other than that comes with the device) along with it.
Even Nokia widgets (even shortcuts, contacts, and bookmarks) cause this.

Surely they can't all have faults.

Or maybe it's an artifact from something out of -devel.

Once the next firmware update comes along, I'll add widgets one by one, and report my findings.

Thanks for the insight.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

i'v had this few times. very annoying but good thing they remember the position when u add them again

Originally Posted by metra View Post
Any widget can cause hildon-home (process running all desktop widgets) to crash. If it happened, hildon-home restarts and loads only "safe" widgets.
If it's clear what widget caused the crash, please, file a bug report against the corresponding widget. If the crash is reproducible, one could remove widgets one by one and find the culprit.
Of course, hildon-home can crash by itself :-).
Am I the only one who read this post? Metra explains what's going on here but everybody else still seems to be discussing the root cause. Am I missing something?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
Am I the only one who read this post? Metra explains what's going on here but everybody else still seems to be discussing the root cause. Am I missing something?
We had a lot of problems with Hilden desktop crashes when developing the first widgets. For example, we had problems with writing to wrong file descriptors, or arrays running out of bounds, those things cause the entire desktop to crash.

It people can figure out what desktop widgets are acting badly, please report bugs.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
Well, it's not the Conversations Desktop widget or the Media Player widget, since both were disabled on my phone and it just happened again.

Originally Posted by jolo View Post
We had a lot of problems with Hilden desktop crashes when developing the first widgets. For example, we had problems with writing to wrong file descriptors, or arrays running out of bounds, those things cause the entire desktop to crash.

It people can figure out what desktop widgets are acting badly, please report bugs.
I've only just had the problem the last few days - since an update to activity manager changed it from command line to desktop version and following mameo update that came through.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I have the same issues its really annoying. I use the following widgets:

- Conversations Inbox
- Weather Applet (Default one)
- Personal Dataplan Monitor
- Personal IP address
- USSD widget
- Recaller

Anyone got a solution so far?