Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Nemo isn't theirs though, I thought it was another OS made by them (maybe based on nemo).
It's not their's but Jolla is one of the biggest contributors to Nemo/Mer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
So going back to the last question, do you think it's OK to send the current list to Jolla as is? My feeling is, they won't be able to answer any hardware related questions yet. On the other hand, we can clarify, that they can just skip whatever they can't answer, may be they can answer something after all.

If everyone feels it's OK, I'm compiling the list into a PDF (skipping answered questions) and sending the list to Jolla tomorrow.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-11-25 at 00:49.

i am okay with the list..but “standardized icon pack / design across the OS” question should be answered in any way..because current icon really made Sailfish looks much like Android.

example of standardized icon pack/design : Nokia N9's icon itself

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
danramos,

You can join #jollamobile at freenode and give your views; they would be heard and put into their conscience better than putting it here...
I appreciate the tip, but it would be in their best interest to actively seek out opinions. After the Nokia burn, I'm particularly disenchanted with going out of my way anymore.

I'm not going to start involving myself in IRC (I stopped IRC'ing many years ago.. now going to bother now) just for the sake of saving them the trouble of looking at my previous comment. If they want to do the same thing Nokia did and not bother to do some research themselves, then it would serve them right to lose by doing the same things Nokia did all over again--Nokia as a company didn't bother coming to talk.maemo.org to find out what the MAEMO.ORG people think, they rightfully lost a whole community for it... People who would have helped and probably evangelized their platform if they had bothered to listen. Making customers go through inconvenient hoops doesn't win their hearts and minds--if anything, they should be going out of their way to ask potential customers about their wants and needs. They are a business--they're SUPPOSED to be in the business of filling needs and profiting from it. A good business constantly seeks out metrics and asks opinions from their customers to help with constant improvement.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Here's fine too, it helps to "get the juices flowing" for what goes into the docs, which will eventually be formally presented to them.
That's a pretty good effort and it's appreciated. Thanks! Really, the company should have someone doing this, so I can appreciate it even more.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, code has gradually become more liberalised*, but there's far more considerations than just that, I'm surprised you're not aware of them.
I won't go into them because that's dragging this thread off-topic, we're trying to keep this focused on it's original charter, so please don't go any further into it.
Unless you can make a compelling argument as-to-why Google's rigidity in the area(s) I'm not broaching, is a positive thing that Sailfish also needs to adopt/mimic..
Without citing what you're talking about, I have no reference for an argument. Near as I can tell, there's more openness with the Linux kernel, the operating system and about the only rigidity is in its license--which is no more or less rigid than GPLv3 as far as I can tell. can you be more specific? In any case, such debate seems relevant to Jolla if we're talking about how to go about these things.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
So going back to the last question, do you think it's OK to send the current list to Jolla as is? My feeling is, they won't be able to answer any hardware related questions yet. On the other hand, we can clarify, that they can just skip whatever they can't answer, may be they can answer something after all.

If everyone feels it's OK, I'm compiling the list into a PDF (skipping answered questions) and sending the list to Jolla tomorrow.
I'm going to have a look through it tonight or tomorrow eve, it looks like it's been changed A LOT since I last fiddled with it approx. 3 days ago.
I hope relevant stuff hasn't been removed completely, I will check the edit history...
I don't think we should leave anything out on the assumption that they probably can't answer it, if they don't, well it can remain in the docs.
Sending it off tomorrow (25th for most of the western world, 26th here) was the originally set date IIRC.
Are we going to run it all past stskeeps, do we really need to send it via PDF or just a link to the docs, am I the one still sending it?
Also zwer (AKA as incognito @MNB/elsewhere) has some excellent thoughts/observations, I'd love to see him add some input before it's sent.

Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
i am okay with the list..but “standardized icon pack / design across the OS” question should be answered in any way..because current icon really made Sailfish looks much like Android.
Is that already raised (I can't recall) in the doc? If not then please make sure it's added.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Near as I can tell, there's more openness with the Linux kernel, the operating system
So if you know that to be true, please explain it in more detail in the concerns/criticisms doc, so that they can respond & explain why that's the case, if it is.

and about the only rigidity is in its license--which is no more or less rigid than GPLv3 as far as I can tell.
There's another one for you, please check they're not already in the doc, & then ask them a series of Qns* relating to how it differs from the OHA's licensing/TOA.

*or add them to concerns/criticisms if you think that doc's more relevant, but generally you have to know much more about Sailfish/Jolla 1st.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-25 at 08:43.

Sending it off tomorrow (25th for most of the western world, 26th here) was the originally set date IIRC.
Are we going to run it all past stskeeps, do we really need to send it via PDF or just a link to the docs, am I the one still sending it?
I think they preferred a PDF sent to their contact e-mail. If you are sending it - please, go ahead, we just shouldn't send it twice to avoid confusion. You can include Stskeels as cc just to be sure it won't get lost somewhere, and as a confirmation that it comes from the community.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
^Please see my updated post, above...

I think they preferred a PDF sent to their contact e-mail.
That was stskeeps assertion, simply because he felt it was more professional/presentable IIRC.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-25 at 08:28.

I'd trust his assertions on this.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I'm slightly lost; can questions that are redundant be taken out from the google doc while others improved? I'll post some examples:

When will your website be up and running? Why do you prefer twitter as the main channel of communication?

Following the announcement of partnering with D-Phone, can you say (without naming any) how many other mobile retailers / carriers have the Jolla team been in contact with for distributing the devices?
(can this be phrased better to ask them how many contracts have they signed or are close to signing and if possible a regional breakdown)

Will N9 version of sailfish be supporting LPM screen as it already has AMOLED and LPM support with Harmattan?
(could be changed to whether the Jolla phone will be having a LPM screen)

Do you implement Aegis or other security frameworks with hardware encryption and if so, will you allow the users (in developer mode) to be in full control (i.e. to disable it completely if desired)?
(could be changed to please detail what sort of user privacy framework you have mentioned)

Will there be a Skype client for Sailfish?
(modify to ask whether official Skype Video Calls support)

What about GUI file manager?
Maybe change this to ask for a native one; the n9 didn't ship with one but there was one before launch day in the Store...

Can you elaborate on your partnership with ST-Ericcson? Will they be sourcing the SoC for the Jolla device?
(maybe elaborate to ask if you will be using their latest cutting-edge SoCs since we know its dead certain they will use them in the Jolla phone)

What GPU will Jolla device use?
(merge with above ST-Ericcson question as this is a SoC question)

Above are my two cents; please don't jump

Edit: The concerns/criticisms doc seems to have been covered in the questions/ideas doc in maybe little change of phrasing so maybe merge them to have one doc named "Jolla dossier from TMO"?

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-11-25 at 08:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I'd trust his assertions on this.
Fair enough, that's all I recall his rationale being, maybe I'm forgetting some other aspects he raised.
And even if that's it, as you say, maybe it's worthwhile just going with that alone as the rationale.

Remember we don't have the rush we once did, as we've since learned that a product reveal won't happen till Q1 2013.
The reason we wanted to send it 2-3 days after the conference originally, was because we wanted to get it to them long before the product reveal in Dec.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open