Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
> student.gpa < m_student.gpa

Awww. Do smart women make you feel inferior?

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by mullf
Awww. Do smart women make you feel inferior?
hardly. but, thanks for stopping by to snipe.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by qole View Post
... that an engineering type would think that a handheld gadget was a good way to "pick up" chicks.
In these fora, I perhaps qualify only as someone with "geek tendencies" and not full geekhood. But in the outside world I pass for a geek in most circumstances, including work.

Two relevant facts: (1) the former homecoming queen I married always asks "What do people do who didn't marry tech support?" That side of geek always appeals to her. (2) The tablet still doesn't excite her.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
Android expected to use triangulation
I guess "triangulation" by GSM/UTMS/EDGE - anyway I'm pretty sure not by GPS.

GPS based?
+ Doesn't cause more costs
+ Certainly very useful when mounted in the car (GPS connected)
- Unusable without GPS signal - i.e. in the pocket, bag, jacket, house, restaurant, work, ...

aGPS based?
+ only needs a (actually 2-3) GSM signal - wich is the case almost everywhere
- It's WAY too expensive to be of any use at all (even in business it's hardly used)

Location based services ain't new. It just wont work as long as it costs cash.
I am from Austria - we have one of the cheapest mobile networks world-wide.
Still - i don't know anyone using those "services" that cost a hell lot of money (for example aGPS=GSM based=>pay pay pay - either per minute or per MB (I mean pay per MEGAbyte itself makes me laugh/cry...)) - anyway - if i use location based services i don't just use it for some minutes - it must work more or less all the time.
So it's out of question to use such a thing as long as i have to pay extra money.
Additionally - in Europe prices rice infinitely as soon as you cross a border (compare: 1c/min to every network as long as u r in Austria to 49c/min as soon as i cross the border - wich ain't too hard in Eruope).

So - nice google is working on that, yet it might take several years till people are willing to use it.
Btw - There's a group working on an ubuntu port for mobile devices.... if they succeed, who needs Andorid? Android might be good to give canonical (company of Mark Shuttleworth) & the community a big kick up the arse to finally get this mobile software up and running.

Last edited by 2beers; 2008-05-07 at 12:20.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Android and Ubuntu Mobile have no overlap in the machines they're targetted at. Android is for phones. Ubuntu mobile is targetted at Intel MIDs with 512MB of RAM or more. Also, IIRC, AGPS doesn't necessarily need a data connection. Even if it needed a data connection, unlimited data connections over GSM aren't that expensive in many countries. In the US it tends to be somewhere between $20 - $30 per month.

Originally Posted by piku View Post

The only issue I've noticed is that the accuracy wanders if the device is stationary. It always claims I'm moving at 0.1-0.3MPh in a random direction and can jump 5 or 10 metres. I find it hard to believe my house is shuffling around on its foundations that much I know this is a GPS issue, but it'd be really helpful if Maemo mapper could ignore speeds less than 1MPh, for example.
Ha. Mine does this too (N800 with GPSlim)

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
So it's out of question to use such a thing as long as I have to pay extra money.
Absolutely.

But there's more than one financial model in this business. The one we've seen so far is just the easiest to implement and easiest to sell to upper management.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Android and Ubuntu Mobile have no overlap in the machines they're targetted at. Android is for phones. Ubuntu mobile is targetted at Intel MIDs with 512MB of RAM or more.
It won't be long until that will look weird. People will be saying, in less than five years, "I remember a time when phones had less than 512MB of RAM!"

I mean, I'm carrying around a computer in my pocket that's as powerful as the server in the closet was 12 years ago...

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-07 at 16:37.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Ok, I'll add another point then. Android is targeted at phones that may or may not have a touch screen of some size, where Ubuntu mobile is specifically targeted at 800x480+ 4"-8" touchscreens. There are other differences too. Ubuntu mobile is a "standard linux" with a nice thumb friendly UI, while Android is targeted at the *people selling phones* and has a system architecture and API designed with that in mind.

@Johnx
Certainly a good point, yet i was referring to the post by Scythe wich itself was referring to the nokia internet tablet.
At least i think so :-)
Another thought: I assume it's only a minor issue to support GSM (in ubuntu's case) or a larger screen (in google's case).