Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
i downloaded a ver 0.9.1, where do i find the new version?

edit: i found it

Last edited by carlon; 2011-07-29 at 16:33.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
MeePasswords is a simple application to securely store confidential data such as passwords and the like. The aim of MeePasswords is to provide a simple and intuitive to use user interface. MeePasswords uses 256 bit AES encryption and protects the encrypted data via a user configurable "master password".

There are already some tools for storing passwords available for Fremantle. Though, I could not find any tool for Harmattan. Hence I created MeePasswords. Furthermore, MeePasswords features some eye candy such as animated transitions and the like. Generally, the design goal of the MeePasswords user interface was to allow quick and easy interaction.

MeePasswords was initially developed for Harmattan. The Fremantle version was then ported based on the Harmattan version. The Fremantle version tries to mimic / resemble the behavior and look and feel of the Harmattan version.

Technically the Fremantle version als runs on "common" desktop operating systems. Though, I did not create packages for desktop OS yet. Essentially, I use this version to speed up the development but this is just a side note.

You can install MeePasswords from extras-devel. Unfortunately it seems that it will not be possible to promote MeePasswords to extras-testing in the near future. This is because MeePasswords uses the experimental Qt version which are restricted to extras-devel for now. The reason for this is due to a really strange bug which happens with the "stock" Qt version that ships with PR 1.3 but does not occur with the experimental Qt version.

You can find more information including some Screenshots and the MeeGo / Harmattan version of MeePasswords at:
http://meepasswords.garage.maemo.org

As always, comments and feedback are highly appreciated.

Edit: Please note that I made a minor change to the way the data is stored in the first official release (1.0.0) as compared to the "experimental" versions before 1.0.0 (namely 0.9.0 and 0.9.0-1). This yields in the situation that data stored with the 0.9.x versions cannot be read with the 1.0.0+ versions.
Please be sure to install versions from 1.0.0 up. The way the data is stored is stable since 1.0.0 so there will be no problems with interoperability from this version on.
If you absolutely do require to read data stored with the 0.9.x versions please let me know. I would then implement an automatic "format conversion" mechanism.
CRAP you just killed my project (not yet released developing it for n900ce in mind) however I also had an idea of an sync/push function from desktop/laptop computers "password store" like kwallet in kde or similar in gnome just one idea not yet tested so if you plan to integrate that it would be cool too

also make sure your app work on n900ce.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Alright.. I just uploaded version 1.2.0-1 to extras-devel and even extras-testing(!). Unfortunately I messed up the changelog which is maintained by the autobuilder as I forgot to update the day of week properly.

Version 1.2.0 adds export to KeePassX XML files and a multi line edit for the notes field. Furthermore I took the time to work around the issues which prevented me from promoting it to extras-testing. So now you can vote for MeePasswords to enable me promoting it to extras. Though, please take your time to go through the checklist before giving it a thumbs up:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing...nts#Check_List

Furthermore, I submitted MeePasswords to the MeeGo Coding Competition 2011.
http://competition.meetmeego.org/submissions/68
Edit: Actually, I already submitted it two days ago but didn't post it here yet.

@towhatend
Actually, it should also work in portrait mode. It works at least in portrait mode if you start in landscape and then turn into portrait mode. The issue you describe sounds like a bug in MeePasswords to me. I'll take care of this. What do you use to operate your N900 in portrait mode?

@mikecomputing
Well I didn't mean to kill your project.
I think MeePasswords should work on any System that supports Qt, QML and QtCrypto (QCA). If you are interested we could work together on MeePasswords to extend / improve it further.
Though, some parts of the code look pretty messy at the moment as I tried to produce results as fast as possible. Also the hacks needed to make MeePasswords work with the "stable" ("stable" as in "can be found in extras") Qt version available for Fremantle are quite ugly. But except that basically everything is set up to a) port MeePasswords to other platforms and b) extend it. Though, when adding new features I'd like to keep the user interface as simple as possible.

Last edited by Wonko; 2011-07-30 at 19:45.

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
@towhatend
Actually, it should also work in portrait mode. It works at least in portrait mode if you start in landscape and then turn into portrait mode. The issue you describe sounds like a bug in MeePasswords to me. I'll take care of this. What do you use to operate your N900 in portrait mode?
I´m using "Hildon desktop portrait mode" and the CSSU, but the problem is gone since the latest version, can it have something to do with the experimental Qt stuff I was having to install before the latest version (where I didn't need it anymore)?

Originally Posted by towhatend View Post
A function that make it possible to copy the username/password to the clipboard would be nice.
There you go. Just uploaded version 1.3.0 which adds this functionality.

You copy the user name and password by clicking on it in the entry display dialog (the dialog with the semitransparent black background showing the entry). You will then be asked whether you really want to copy (this is done to avoid accidental copying of sensible data). Also please note that the clipboard is cleared once the entry display dialog is closed. This is done to assure no sensible data stays in the clipboard longer than absolutely necessary.

Additionally, this version highlights URLs entered in the notes field and makes them clickable as links. I.e. when you click some highlighted URL the browser or other associated application will open with that address.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
Awesome, many thanks.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Do you plan to add PasswordSafe import/export?

Alright, uploaded version 1.5.0 to extras-testing.
In version 1.4.0 I added import of pwman3 XML files. Version 1.5.0 adds a minor improvement for handling selections in long lists: moving the selection highlight now takes a fixed time instead of using a defined speed. This way it is more convenient to handle selections in large lists.

Originally Posted by mgedmin View Post
Do you plan to add PasswordSafe import/export?
I had a look at this. Unfortunately the XML export feature of the PasswordSafe version I am using seemed not to work. Does the PasswordSafe XML export work for you? If yes, could you provide me a sample XML file?

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
How difficult would it be to add synchronisation functionality? This was the big drawcard when I used to use HandySafe on Symbian S60, synchronisation between phone desktop was rock solid.

As I've already mentioned, I use KeePass 2.x, and I synch over multiple desktops via a WebDAV folder, and this works fantastic, but I sorely miss being able to synch to my phone.

I'm forever grateful for the support you guys give us all the same. :-)

Last edited by travla; 2011-08-23 at 09:51. Reason: Typo

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I had a look at this. Unfortunately the XML export feature of the PasswordSafe version I am using seemed not to work. Does the PasswordSafe XML export work for you? If yes, could you provide me a sample XML file?
Nope, when I try to export from PasswordSafe, I get a 0-length file...

Using the binary format directly would be more convenient for the users, anyway. Perhaps it would be possible to reuse an existing loader from one of the open-source implementations? I know of two: PasswordSafe for maemo5, and pwsafe for command-line Linux. Actually, the Windows version at http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/ also appears to be open-source.