Active Topics

Closed Thread
Have any of you guys read the XMPP RFC? Just curious about your level of expertise with XMPP.

I've read the most important chapters in the XMPP book - and MD5 digest is the standard way of authenticating - but it's being deprecated.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
It's quite interesting. Great work guys. But I would only use whatsapp if I can register and use it with a false phone number. I won't ever give my phone number to whatsapp inc. His privacy politics are unacceptable for me.

I have read just last 5 pages, and hope not to make an answered question... Do you think would it be possible to register with for example 000 000 000 number (or wichever not existing mobile number in my country) and never give my real number to whatsapp inc?

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Lebanon
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
It already is, if you are so dependent on it. Just not for Maemo (yet). By the way: patience is a (lost?) virtue.
I meant whatsapp for maemo users?

any new update guys?

Some info for you guys doing the dev work - while reading the book one thing was bugging me from the very first chapter and it didn't cover it until it was near the end.

That was power management - since the XMPP is a long lived TCP session which pretty much never expires it's just going to kill the battery, but clearly it doesn’t otherwise it would not have been used.

This power management feature is achieved by something called BOSH, this is where instead of the client keeping the TCP session alive a proxy sits between the client and the server the BOSH Connection Manager (BOSH CM) server keeps the session alive. The client then communicates with the BOSH CM by simple HTTP requests. The client is assigned a session id for this by the BOSH CM.

I’m guessing you guys may have seen something similar – if not it may help you debug some of this stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
It's quite interesting. Great work guys. But I would only use whatsapp if I can register and use it with a false phone number. I won't ever give my phone number to whatsapp inc. His privacy politics are unacceptable for me.

I have read just last 5 pages, and hope not to make an answered question... Do you think would it be possible to register with for example 000 000 000 number (or wichever not existing mobile number in my country) and never give my real number to whatsapp inc?
You can go and install google talk, skype and Extraplugins for Accounts UI

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Some info for you guys doing the dev work - while reading the book one thing was bugging me from the very first chapter and it didn't cover it until it was near the end.

That was power management - since the XMPP is a long lived TCP session which pretty much never expires it's just going to kill the battery, but clearly it doesn’t otherwise it would not have been used.

This power management feature is achieved by something called BOSH, this is where instead of the client keeping the TCP session alive a proxy sits between the client and the server the BOSH Connection Manager (BOSH CM) server keeps the session alive. The client then communicates with the BOSH CM by simple HTTP requests. The client is assigned a session id for this by the BOSH CM.

I’m guessing you guys may have seen something similar – if not it may help you debug some of this stuff.
I think WhatsApp do not use the standard protocol. I went through their code both java and .net, I noticed that they send XML data through the output stream in binary. I am not sure if I can send and receive data in ASCII.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
Updates: Conversation demo snapshot
Attached Images

The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to tgalal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tgalal View Post
Updates: Conversation demo snapshot
Hello Tarek
Well done, What you have done is really great.
Can you please share the login code with me
Are you communicating to their xmpp server using normal XML or using binary data?

Is success finally within reach?

Closed Thread

Tags
galal-t is da, kindergarten, mastar, new tmo low, shameful, tmo not cake, trollfest, whiny_girls