Okay I am giving that one more shot as I type. I might have had bootmenu-installer installed when I ran the install-tools-ad the first time, although using Gparted it looked as if it had done a successful clone (it showed a tiny FAT partition, two largeish linux partitions both having been written to, and a medium-sized swap partition). Would bootmenu-installer prevent an update to the bootmenu from the install-tools-ad program?

okay tried that, no good. boot menu still unchanged.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by heelio View Post
Okay I am giving that one more shot as I type. I might have had bootmenu-installer installed when I ran the install-tools-ad the first time, although using Gparted it looked as if it had done a successful clone (it showed a tiny FAT partition, two largeish linux partitions both having been written to, and a medium-sized swap partition). Would bootmenu-installer prevent an update to the bootmenu from the install-tools-ad program?
Its possible there is some sort of conflict, as they both use /root/install-tools

Note any time you change the partition layout (for example changing the number of partitions or any of their sizes) YOU WILL HAVE TO RUN IT TWICE. So run it once, reboot and run it again.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
finally tried installing this morning:

Code:
dpkg -i gparted-hack.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gparted-hack.
(Reading database ... 19253 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gparted-hack (from gparted-hack.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing gparted-hack.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo', which is also in package e2fsprogs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gparted-hack.deb

Originally Posted by qole View Post
finally tried installing this morning:

Code:
dpkg -i gparted-hack.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gparted-hack.
(Reading database ... 19253 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gparted-hack (from gparted-hack.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing gparted-hack.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/e2fsprogs.mo', which is also in package e2fsprogs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gparted-hack.deb
As I said a few posts back, I see the conflict with e2fsprogs is still there. You have to remove e2fsprogs, or force install on the command line. I will update the deb, I was in a hurry and missed the locale stuff last time.

I will update when I get some time. Any other issues let me know, it appears to be working great.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Okay, I decided to try it again with a different 2 gig card I had lying around. Running it now...

Okay, I decided to try it again with a different 2 gig card I had lying around. Running it now...
You got me wondering if there was a problem. I just tested it, its working fine, two times install ext2 and ext3, 128 fat, 140 swap, 6 sec timeout

It should be working, good luck

...and I got the exact same result.

On the first pass I got an error and the program required me to eject the card, I seem to recall it doing that on the other card also. It ran all the way through on the second try though. I am going to attach photos of the boot screen (which seems to be immortal now, there's no changing it) and the gparted screen from that last 2 gig card. Very odd that it creates 2 identical 888 meg partitions, but note that the amount used of each one is NOT identical.

Name:  bootscreen.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  screen1.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  44.5 KB

Why would you have to remove the card? You should not remove the card. You should reboot between each run.

So this is an n800 with 1 card installed? On internal slot?

I also maybe suggest downloading http://penguinbait.com/install-tools.ad.tgz again

...and I got the exact same result.

On the first pass I got an error and the program required me to eject the card, I seem to recall it doing that on the other card also. It ran all the way through on the second try though. I am going to attach photos of the boot screen (which seems to be immortal now, there's no changing it) and the gparted screen from that last 2 gig card. Very odd that it creates 2 identical 888 meg partitions, but note that the amount used of each one is NOT identical.

Attachment 2710

Attachment 2711

There's a 2 gig internal and a 16 gig external. Nothing has happened with the 16 gig, ever.

The install-tools-ad is what I am running. When I ran it the first time (on each 2 gig card) it gave an error some time after that "starting filesystem clone" message appears 3 times. This error suggested my ejecting the card due to some inability to write or something. Re-inserting the card and re-running the program resulted in it running all the way through. Sorry if all this was not clear.

Tags
debian, gparted, hacked, qole