Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, copy&paste works pretty well in those cases IMHO;
  • I can copy number from last call and paste it in the terminal.
  • I can copy text from browser and paste to notepad.
  • I can copy part of the text from the SMS and paste it in whereever I want to
  • Thank god there's no Skype, hate the stuff!!!!

me too
I think we have reason to be more demanding.
[*]I can copy number from last call and paste it in the terminal.

-> Does not work as it should (intuitively). Touch and hold number pops up menu "call, send message, delete"
Maybe I succeeded doing this before but not finding it twice only happens on the worst designed systems.

On N900 at least right click menu item, open contact card, leads me to edit the number and opportunity to text select and ctrl+c / ctrl-v myself a way out of my misery.

[*]I can copy text from browser and paste to notepad.

I can't from Jolla browser. But I have no patch installed to enable stock browser to do so because I am afraid having to lose my time sorting out broken patches as long as receiving a major system update is still plausible.

This might be a future solution but for now I'd rather format my SDXC card manually to bypass the lack of MSexclusiFAT license, as I have to do it one single time only to get it over with.

Firefox (Android) does allow copying but does not share clipboard with Jolla system to paste the data somewhere useful (like phone number in phone application).

WebCat allows copying text to the clipboard. (having fun adjusting selection box when edge is on display screen edge)

[*]I can copy part of the text from the SMS and paste it in whereever I want to

It really seems so, but I can only copy full SMS content..

The useful scenario is to allow consistent copy from any program to SMS or any program.
So far I can copy the active URL from Jolla browser and put it in an SMS for example or if I need to SMS actual web page text I can use the WebCat browser and see if I can get piece selected for copying.

[*]Thank god there's no Skype, hate the stuff!!!!

MS being the closest visible thing behaving like god, that is the one time our prayers have been heard and responded to.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Can you share how? In the Phone app's call log, all I can do is call back, send message, open contact card or delete.
I guess you are on some older SW release, asn that used to be fixed via a patch but it became default feature in Uitukka.

Can you share how? The only thing that I can do is copy the whole message. How do you select just a part of it?
That is also patchable, the copying is defined in MessagesView.qml of the messaging application.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
[*]I can copy number from last call and paste it in the terminal.

-> Does not work as it should (intuitively). Touch and hold number pops up menu "call, send message, delete"
Maybe I succeeded doing this before but not finding it twice only happens on the worst designed systems.
On Uitukka there exists also option to copy the number.
On earlier releases you need to patch CallLogPage.qml of voicecall-ui.

On N900 at least right click menu item, open contact card, leads me to edit the number and opportunity to text select and ctrl+c / ctrl-v myself a way out of my misery.
I would not know anything about that, never had the pleasure of owning one of those devices

[*]I can copy text from browser and paste to notepad.

I can't from Jolla browser. But I have no patch installed to enable stock browser to do so because I am afraid having to lose my time sorting out broken patches as long as receiving a major system update is still plausible.
Well, that indeed currently needs a patch. However it is no big deal to patch the UI to your hearts desire, for example I am not using any patch manager, I just patch the QML by hand when I require some changes. It is after all very readable code and you can see the result immediately.
There's even no need to be extra careful when doing that, you cannot really brick the device whatever you do to the UI. You can break the UI, sure, but that's why it is done via ssh to the device of course
Just make backup copies of your QML's when modifying or trying something new.

This might be a future solution but for now I'd rather format my SDXC card manually to bypass the lack of MSexclusiFAT license, as I have to do it one single time only to get it over with.
Don't know anything about that, I use only ext4 formatted SD cards.

Firefox (Android) does allow copying but does not share clipboard with Jolla system to paste the data somewhere useful (like phone number in phone application).
I guess the Android subsystem has a totally different way to use clipboard than the jolla-native QML applications do. (which of course is understandable)
Never tried that though since I've got no Android on my device

[*]I can copy part of the text from the SMS and paste it in whereever I want to

It really seems so, but I can only copy full SMS content..
As I earleir said, that too requires that you patch the UI a bit.

[*]Thank god there's no Skype, hate the stuff!!!!

MS being the closest visible thing behaving like god, that is the one time our prayers have been heard and responded to.
Amen!

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I guess you are on some older SW release
Actually, I am on Uitukka. Still,

1) A short tap on an entry in the call list calls the number. Without a warning, which IMO is a bad design but one can learn to live with that.
2) A long tap brings a menu with "Send message", "Open contact card" and "Delete". All entries on my list are currently from known numbers so I apologize if there are more options for numbers not in the phone book but even if there is a "Copy phone number" option, why not for all entries?
3) To actually copy the number, I have to open the contact card for editing. A bit risky operation.

That is also patchable, the copying is defined in MessagesView.qml of the messaging application.
Whilst I don't mind editing a QML,

1) How was I supposed to know that this is what I have to do?
2) Where is that file?
3) What do I need to do with the file to enable selective copying? (OK maybe it is obvious once you know the aswers to questions 1 and 2.)
4) Is it what you expect the users to routinely do for things that should work out of the box?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
All entries on my list are currently from known numbers so I apologize if there are more options for numbers not in the phone book but even if there is a "Copy phone number" option, why not for all entries?
You wanted to copy a phone number, not a name. Now it turns out your call list doesn't even let you check the use case.

Whilst I don't mind editing a QML,

1) How was I supposed to know that this is what I have to do?
2) Where is that file?
3) What do I need to do with the file to enable selective copying? (OK maybe it is obvious once you know the aswers to questions 1 and 2.)
4) Is it what you expect the users to routinely do for things that should work out of the box?
...first people complain Sailfish is not open and hackable, then they complain it is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Actually, I am on Uitukka. Still,

1) A short tap on an entry in the call list calls the number. Without a warning, which IMO is a bad design but one can learn to live with that.
2) A long tap brings a menu with "Send message", "Open contact card" and "Delete". All entries on my list are currently from known numbers so I apologize if there are more options for numbers not in the phone book but even if there is a "Copy phone number" option, why not for all entries?
3) To actually copy the number, I have to open the contact card for editing. A bit risky operation.
1),2)&3) Settings-Apps-Phone-Quick call(disable)

No more calling by accident without warning. At least for not known numbers there is option to copy number. Maybe not for existing contacts..?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You wanted to copy a phone number, not a name. Now it turns out your call list doesn't even let you check the use case.
Excuse me? I want to copy a number. I do not care if that number is in my address book or not. My use case highlights a shortcoming in the software. Can you not just admit it instead of spitting at me?

The very fist time I came across the copy&paste hurdle was when I first got the phone and wanted to log in to my home WiFi. My password contains some randomly generated ASCII characters. Not impossible but quite tricky to type on an on-screen keyboard. So here is another use case for you. On every other device I ever connected to my home network, I used USB to transfer a text file with the WiFi password. This approach did not work on Jolla: no default file manager to navigate to the file, no default text editor to open it with, not even a default terminal to type 'cat password.txt'. And even if any of the above were fulfilled, it would still not work: no copy&paste

Please don't get me wrong. I like the phone. A lot. Not as much as the N900 but still a lot. I bought it second-hand just to see what the fuss is all about. I did not expect to end up hooked. I like it so much that I bought a new one for my other half, even though I know it means ending up being responsible and blamed for all its shortcomings. And I am ready to explain or defend them. Not to pretend they do not exist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I've no idea what you're doing Pichlo but copy and paste works just fine between Jolla's Terminal app and the browser.

I've just cut this from Terminal and pasted into the browser...

,---
| SailfishOS 1.1.0.39 (Uitukka) (armv7hl)
'---
[nemo@Jolla ~]$
[nemo@Jolla ~]$

Also, I don't know of any other smartphone that comes with a file manager, terminal and text editor as standard so Jolla aren't unusual. Terminal gets enabled when you switch on developer mode IIRC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I've no idea what you're doing Pichlo but copy and paste works just fine between Jolla's Terminal app and the browser.

I've just cut this from Terminal and pasted into the browser...

,---
| SailfishOS 1.1.0.39 (Uitukka) (armv7hl)
'---
[nemo@Jolla ~]$
[nemo@Jolla ~]$

Also, I don't know of any other smartphone that comes with a file manager, terminal and text editor as standard so Jolla aren't unusual. Terminal gets enabled when you switch on developer mode IIRC.
Almost all android phones that I know of has a default file manager and a text editor build in out of the box....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Almost all android phones that I know of has a default file manager and a text editor build in out of the box....
My Nexus 7 came with neither and I don't temember seeing either on the HTC one of our kids had having either. She's since moved to an iPhone, which of course has neither. Is it a Samsung thing perhaps?

One of the first things I did on my Nexus was find a file manager (settled on ES File Explorer - it's UI is frankly awful but best of bad bunch), a terminal (Went through many! to end up with two as neither are great at both local and ssh remote) and a text editor (Ended up paying for one as the free ones were mostly rubbish, full of adverts and dubious security permissions).

I can't wait to get rid of it. It's almost entirely used for couch surfing and games now and it's a bit slow for that now due to the flash issue in the N7.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: