Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
It's frustrating to watch yet another display that betrays the technology press' ignorance of and bias against Nokia with statements like:

“This isn’t the iPhone. I mean, who cares about Nokia?” and “It’s the Nokia N8… you know… it’s the sequel to the N7. It’s not the next iPhone.” and regarding Nokia protecting their intellectual property, "what intellectual property does Nokia have right now that's gonna set the world on fire".

A bit of context: It's an interview with the Russian blogger who wrote the prototype N8 reviews. Softball questions like "why do they think you have the phone" are asked instead of probing ones like "you reviewed the phone, where did you get it and what did you do with it after the review if you don't have it now".

This passes as "Tech Journalism".

via The Nokia Blog

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I get what you're saying... and fully agree.

I think people are getting too far into comparing unlike phones for unlike users way too often for my likes.

The rest... I've commented on enough quite a few times already. Call a thief a thief.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Although I'm offended by the ignoramus sitting behind the 'news desk' and making stupid jokes about 'coldwar russia', I get their sentiments.

Nokia churns out an ungodly amount of phones per year that these incremental steps aren't so special anymore. Compounded by how quickly Nokia drops support for their older phones to sell you a new one, we're not positioned at a comfortable angle even as Nokia users.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
"what intellectual property does Nokia have right now that's gonna set the world on fire".
this is just hilarious. I don't bother even saying out loud so I'll give some hints:

antenna
apple
rubber band

(so people can be fooled so much I can't believe my eyes once in a while)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Who cares about Nokia? I don't last time I checked Nokia was the largest manufacturer of cellphones in almost every market. You know maybe the whole mobile industry doesn't revolve around the iPhone. I'm not trying to be a Nokia fanboy it is just fanboys in general annoy me Apple, Nokia, Google, Microsoft, HTC, Sony or whatever they are annoy me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
This is an American issue, one which is almost entirely irrelevant and more or less not deserving of any deeper emotion than "Meh"

Americans for a lot of years now have been fed a diet of antiquated mobile technology, low to mid range stuff. The average phone purchase is made via contract through one of several telecommunications carriers - phones are frequently crippled and heavily subsidized.

Along comes the iPhone, pretty mediocre in regard to features, plenty of better phones for sale at that time. About the only relevant aspect of the whole iPhone craze was the capacitive touch screen - not new technology, but certainly it made the rest of the industry hurry up in designing better input methods.

People are basically self delusional.

The leading edge of technology doesn't stand still for long - every few months something new and more shiny comes along.

I do like the iPhone 4 hardware specs, hopefully Nokia will up the bar a bit with whatever their next iteration happens to be. The N8 is certainly one I wont be buying, symbian is still symbian, even if it's all polished : )

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
This is an American issue, one which is almost entirely irrelevant and more or less not deserving of any deeper emotion than "Meh"

Americans for a lot of years now have been fed a diet of antiquated mobile technology, low to mid range stuff. The average phone purchase is made via contract through one of several telecommunications carriers - phones are frequently crippled and heavily subsidized.

Along comes the iPhone, pretty mediocre in regard to features, plenty of better phones for sale at that time. About the only relevant aspect of the whole iPhone craze was the capacitive touch screen - not new technology, but certainly it made the rest of the industry hurry up in designing better input methods.

People are basically self delusional.

The leading edge of technology doesn't stand still for long - every few months something new and more shiny comes along.

I do like the iPhone 4 hardware specs, hopefully Nokia will up the bar a bit with whatever their next iteration happens to be. The N8 is certainly one I wont be buying, symbian is still symbian, even if it's all polished : )
You just took those words out of my mind. The only thing the iphone brought to the world was capacitative screen and accelerometer.Of course it opened the eyes of many Americans to the updated mobile technology.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Compounded by how quickly Nokia drops support for their older phones to sell you a new one, we're not positioned at a comfortable angle even as Nokia users.
People keep saying that, but my 2-year old Nokia 5800 is supported by Qt, and firmware updates have improved the UI significantly.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
It's funny (or sad) to view this video.
At least if you know who is lying and who not...

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Didn't know that journalism has dropped this low.
This is really a pathetic video. The lady shouldn't be allowed to anchor a tech show.

The Following User Says Thank You to doksng For This Useful Post: