Notices

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Finland
Just a stupid thought about emulating psx in n900, we have now two psx emulators, psx4all and pcsx, and they both run inside maemo, so the os is running at background and slowing things down... Right?

So what if someone should approach emulating psx (or other emulators) from bootable program..?

What i mean is you reboot your n900, and boot emulator software from microsd card for example and like this we would have faster psx emulator.

Just a thought, think about it..?

Last edited by SakkeMO; 2010-07-17 at 12:43.

You would gain one or maybe two frames per second.
________
Mercedes-Benz R230 Specifications

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:28.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland, Białystok
psx emulation is already pretty fast with OC... but if you don't want overclock your device most games will unplayable even if it would be bootable emulator.

Originally Posted by SakkeMO View Post
Just a stupid thought about emulating psx in n900, we have now two psx emulators, psx4all and pcsx, and they both run inside maemo, so the os is running at background and slowing things down... Right?

So what if someone should approach emulating psx (or other emulators) from bootable program..?

What i mean is you reboot your n900, and boot emulator software from microsd card for example and like this we would have faster psx emulator.

Just a thought, think about it..?
Nice idea, would help out alot with emulators like mame, dr.noksnes and definitely psx.
It's likely to fix most of the sound issues, and likely to put a 50% increase of speed in games though, it still won't fix the problem of game compatibility.

Hell it'd make n900 the only phone/tablet to boot up stand alone programs without out the nuisance of other processes bugging the cpu.

Chances are:
1) Battery would last way longer whilst using/playing the stand alone application/games.

2) No application lags.

3) Would be extra useful for anyone whose battery is low, and wants to run a specific application for an extended period of time. Imagine simply turning off the other buggy processes that eats ram, cpu and battery life.

4) Hell I see this as an extra useful application for mp3's also, if you want to listen to music for a full day surely the phone would be able to pull that off. Since the mp3 player would become a stand alone app on boot up.

5) Imagine listening to mp3's for over 4hrs, booting up the full phone and still seeing battery at like 60%. Seriously I could go on and on.

Problems (though minor):
1) Can't receive phone calls

2) What happens when you exit the app?

3) Programmes may have to do additional programming to their apps, since their apps may have to call other apps to function. Like prboom, calling accelymote for accelorometer, stuff like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turku, Finland
Not worth it as far as I know

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
This is based on?

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Nice idea, would help out alot with emulators like mame, dr.noksnes and definitely psx.
It's likely to fix most of the sound issues, and likely to put a 50% increase of speed in games though
Same question as above.

Originally Posted by wei?elstone View Post
This is based on?
Common sense.
________
TOYOTA F ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:29.

Originally Posted by weißelstone View Post
This is based on?

Same question as above.
common sense, care to prove me otherwise? Although you would have noticed that I never once have said that any of my *thoughts* were ever a *guarantee*. Though they are *likely* to happen.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-07-17 at 16:50.

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
common sense, care to prove me otherwise? Although you would have noticed that I never once have said that any of my *thoughts* were ever a *guarantee*. Though they are *likely* to happen.
I think your common sense might not be so "common".

Sure, booting up psx4all only will free up some CPU cycles but overall it's still an unoptimized version with no hardware acceleration. What it will do is save some battery usage but not a lot.
________
INTERRACIAL FRENCH

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:29.

I think your common sense might not be so "common".

Sure, booting up psx4all only will free up some CPU cycles but overall it's still an unoptimized version with no hardware acceleration. What it will do is save some battery usage but not a lot.
No doubt a beast like the n900 with like a 100 processes running in the background on a daily basis, having the reduced cpu load go towards the psx emulator, whether its an *unoptimized version with no hardware acceleration* or not, you would see a large increase in performance. Prove me wrong?

Although Ironically I was saying the same thing you were saying,
But on a larger scale...

I had said this already, it was just a *thought*, Though I am also speaking from experience as I have a tendancy to downgrade gadgets to increase performance.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-07-17 at 17:30.