Originally Posted by dy1ng View Post
But this... this is just looks... unacceptable. Designed without any sense of beauty..
This device is an evolution of the Pandora and basically created by the GP32 community with Michael Mrozek making the final decisions. Pandora did a lot of things right (and wrong). Pyra will hopefully be a significantly improved Pandora, but the looks of the device are one of the least important matters. It is all about functionality and creating something that the Linux geeks of the openpandora boards will like.

I think it looks great but anyway who cares - I am not planning on showing off the device if I buy it. I'd rather use it - just like my Pandora.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Pyra will hopefully be a significantly improved Pandora, but the looks of the device are one of the least important matters.
Ergonomy and the appearance.. I think this two are linked to each other very strongly.
For example, Thinkpad. Thinkpads are the most ergonomically advanced laptops I ever used (and using today, I mean the older series like T60-W500).
Also, imho they looks fantastic, as they are pretty much perfect in ergonomy.

So, if a laptop, that are basically just two rectangle with a hinge can looks so badass when its perfect to use, it both can be achieved in haldheld form.

Btw, Pandora looks a bit nicer than Pyra, which is strange at least..

Still, I'd rather choose something in the form of the OQO 2 for example.. looks more usable and portable, but it lacks the gaming controls though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Can Pyra make calls at all?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I require voice commands in my car. But I'm scared it'll register each and every curse word I use during traffic... hmm.
In that case, the wife's car is perfect for you! It has voice command but can't recognize anything. I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce the name of our county seat in a way that the nav will understand. It doesn't help that no one outside the area knows the accepted pronunciation. I guess that makes it a shibboleth -- you can always tell an outsider.

As for N900 GPS fix, did you ever do the A-GPS fix? I hear it made locking much faster but never had the patience to get it done myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Can Pyra make calls at all?
Yes it can right now from the terminal at the moment. It will be implemented according to the developers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
And can it receive them?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I'm not sure what's happening with Estel. There were prototypes, long time ago, but news haven't been heard for a long time. Maybe, CNC milling machine broke down, or something...
What does Estel have to do with Neo900?

Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
What does Estel have to do with Neo900?
Not the Neo900, but the aluminum case project.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Yes it can right now from the terminal at the moment. It will be implemented according to the developers
You'd own your nerd cred to have a phone you could only dial from a terminal with AT commands. "Sure I got a contact list. I pipe the results of grep-ing a flat file of names and numbers to a my parser and then feed that to my dial command! Hanging up is as easy as ATH."

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
[...]
Pyra looks like a weird cross of the N900, a Casio calculator watch and a ColecoVision controller with a pinch of Darth Vader's chest.

Not a fan.
Don't worry, there's enough space in the case. You can install a fan.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo n900, pyra handheld