I'm thinking about the N770 deal but have read quite a few posts of the infamous WSOD. I'm debating between the 770 or 800. I could definitely use the cheaper price and the better aesthetic design. However I'm quite concerned that I'll be spending $140 on a lemon. The only reason for me to get the 800 is because of the potentiality of the 770 to die on me after a few weeks. Is it a common problem?

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Neuchatel, Switzerland
No problem with 770. Had it 15 months before WSOD appeared. Display was changed within 2 weeks by Swiss service center, on 2 year warranty and without losing data! Great service, thank you Nokia!!

Last edited by johnf; 2007-08-28 at 08:03.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by herbiehancock00 View Post
Is it a common problem?
Only Nokia knows and won't tell us :-)

One statistical sample is the Woot deal - we know that 8000 units were sold and there is a list of people who got WSOD quite early, see
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost....eplyCount=2594
about 40 people (i.e. 0.5%)

Is it too high or too low for you? It can be said it is 'common' but also it can be said that you have quite high chance that this won't happen to you. And if yes then Nokia should still repair it in warranty.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.