Notices

Hi,

we all know the default media player lacks an EQ.

I have a pair of westone UM2 headphones. They were pricey. They are really clear but the bass is on the weak side. I fact, the stock n900 headphones are sounding better than them right now.

I need a music player with an EQ. I have tried Canola and Media Box but so far nothing..

Sennheiser IE8 here, and yes default player sounds really tinny even with them and im in no way a basshead.

You just have to wait a little for proper EQ to emerge or buy a cheap Fiio E5 portable amp for 20$ either way the amp will make your westones sound a lot more like they should.

The Fiio E5 is very small so nothing you will notice in your pocket, will give better mids and cleaner treble and it even got a bass boost that work without sounding bloated.

Thanks,

I just found one on ebay for reasonably cheap. I'll give it a try.

I listen with a pair of Yuin PK1s, and I have no audio quality issues.

A band equalizer is something of a misfeature. Are you sure the problem isn't with your source?

I don't think the UM2s are particularly high-impedence, so you shouldn't need an amp.

Last edited by Webbie; 2010-02-20 at 00:52.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Equalizer is a compulsary part of music playing if you are an audiphile.
Every earphone/headphone sounds different. So you need to match it.

I hope that PR 1.2 or PR 1.3 (I hope) will enable equalizer support for the media player or other music players to use it.

It's a matter of opinion, however I think that if you feel the need for an equalizer and your source is near-reference, then either there is a problem with your equipment, or you don't agree with the way the artist mixed the track.

An equalizer would be a nice feature, but it would really need to be implemented as an optional output filter, to avoid degrading performance.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Actually have you guys given the Nokia headphones that came with the device a go? I spent $200 on a pair of Sony Headphones last year that I *thought* were awesome. I chucked in the ones that came with the device, and there's no comparison they're awesome. The bass is nice and clear, as are the mids and the tops are nice as well.

they're just... really clean sounding. haven't heard more from my songs with any headphones I've owned. I think it's something to do with how far they go in your ears.

You must be new to IEMs? (in ear monitors)

A good pair of IEMs ($100+) will provide you with more detail than most $400+ headphones.
You should definitely try RE0 or Fischer Audio Eternas for the biggest bang for buck. (and quality close to the best you'll ever hear)

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fischer-Audio-Et...item19ba2631b0

those the ones dude? looks good... could you compare them to errr to the buds that came with the n900?

I was thinking about getting some sennheiser closed-back big studio 250's but they're too big to carry around. When I said sony headphones before I had these (mine were black, therefore much cooler) http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/05/17...arbuds-review/

and I swapped them for the ones that came with the n900. I was shattered but I like them so far.

I think I'll get some of these audio eternas if you sell them to me one more time :P

OP - Sorry, this is off topic. I'll stop after this post....

Originally Posted by nathanielsametz View Post
those the ones dude?
Yeah. They are the ones. They are cheap (under $100), looks simple and are practically unknown to everyone. (It's a Russian company)

But they sound amazing after some break-in. Here's the review from the oracle. (Well, maybe he's not the oracle but close enough. lol)
Look at the sound quality score it got. Compare it to the most expensive IEMs. (Triple-Fi 10 etc) Eterna was his more recent review also!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...a-love-450772/

I am also one of those who try out every earphone I can get my hands on. I've had $200+ Shures, UltimateEars etc. But really, RE0 sound awesome. Bit lacking in bass but the highs. Oh my the highs. The detail. The Eternas are more all around. My friend (also an IEM-phile) prefers the Eternas over RE0 as well. I currently use an even cheaper and lesser sound quality SoundMagic PL-50 just due to its miniscule size and comfort during commuting.

See his complete roundup here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...ogress-450407/

These passive noice cancelling IEMSs are great. Small, discrete, comfortable (if you get the right fit), no need for loud volume to hear finer detail and does not disturb others around you. Even in a library.

UPDATE: I just tried the IEM earphones that came with my N900 for the first time. This sounds like a typical cheap pair of earphones. Bass is way too bloated and muffled, mids and treble is drowned by it. Sound stage is very cramped also. Treble is there but details are lost. Mid is too far back. It's not the worst, but it's no where near even the entry level decent IEMs. But seriously, many people are used to this kind of sound. So to many, this actually might sound good. Even though it's not...... Personally, I would not be using this earphone ever again.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-02-20 at 05:28.