Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
I'm gonna sell this thing & get an Archos 605 which is much more consumer friendly.
Huh? I don't get it. You can easily install 3rd party applications on Archos 605? Where are they? If not and you don't need such feature then why you are trying to boot from mmc?

Looks like one can run custom stuff but it is not much consumer friendly or even supported by Archos.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I've given up spent most of last night going through threads here & googling but non the wiser. I'm gonna sell this thing & get an Archos 605 which is much more consumer friendly.
I have to say, I'm curious as to why you think/thought you needed to be able to boot from MMC. It's complicated and needed by very few users. Except for development, there's probably nothing discussed on these boards that is nearly so difficult to implement. By comparison, everything else is quite easy.

So why do you want to be able to dual-boot?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2008-04-02 at 16:11.

OK I've just woken from a loonnggg sleep after marathon frustration last night.

I don't think I'll be ditching the N800 the Archos is just an expensive PMP. All that was said in a fit of frustration, now back to reality.

I need more space to load apps that why I'd like to dual boot. Or is there a way to load the apps onto the external memory cards that I missed something.

For now Ive just uninstalled & deleted everything I think I don't need. I'll try to get the hang of Linux & attempt this again later.

I'll be back (in my best Austrian/American accent)

Zen, I just havn't finished the final two steps yet for OS2008, but I am redoing my really easy instructions for dual booting on my blog site. Expect to see the last two posts by the end of this weekend.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I don't think I'll be ditching the N800 the Archos is just an expensive PMP. All that was said in a fit of frustration, now back to reality.
excellent news ; glad you're sticking with us. I hope you'll be glad of that decision.

I need more space to load apps that why I'd like to dual boot. Or is there a way to load the apps onto the external memory cards that I missed something.
No, you're absolutely right.

For now Ive just uninstalled & deleted everything I think I don't need. I'll try to get the hang of Linux & attempt this again later.
that's good. however, it is not too hard, and you were well on the way, but you got stumped since one of the required pkgs (e2fsprogs) isn't in a "default" repository, and that repos needed to be added manually, before you could proceed.

Give us a shout when you're ready to resume (ideally in the main dual-boot thread)

Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Zen, I just havn't finished the final two steps yet for OS2008, but I am redoing my really easy instructions for dual booting on my blog site. Expect to see the last two posts by the end of this weekend.
Just took a look over there & I like. Looking forward to your next installment.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
fanoush, shouldn't one mount --bind / /mnt/something_temporary and copy from there? that way you won't copy files created by initfs

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by KotCzarny View Post
fanoush, shouldn't one mount --bind / /mnt/something_temporary and copy from there? that way you won't copy files created by initfs
Not sure what exactly you are refering to but yes, you must mount rootfs again somewhere else before cloning to not to copy /mnt/iniitfs and also /sys, /proc and you also need real hidden contens of /dev, not udev stuff mounted over it. I'm not sure bind mount is good choice for this but regular mount is. You can mount same device more times in linux.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-04-03 at 18:59.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
i was referring to the cloning stage
btw. here's my cloning script, btw. itt didn't allowed me to upload .sh file so i renamed it to .txt, just save it to /tmp on your nokia and run with: sh /tmp/clone.txt
BEWARE, it will FORMAT your second partition in external slot

ps. it's configurable
ps2. i assume card is partitioned properly (ie. 1st partition is vfat, 2nd is ext3)
ps3. i have added my bootmenu.conf
Attached Files
File Type: txt clone.txt (1.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: txt bootmenu.conf.txt (1.4 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by KotCzarny; 2008-04-03 at 20:54. Reason: added bootmenu.conf

hi everyone

thank god i'm back . . . i love my N800

what if i wanted to do this with a 4G xtreme SD card . . . can you please help me with that ??

what are the numbers for the card size ??

thanx alot