Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Dorian 0.4.3 has been released. Changes since the last announced release:
  • Fix downloading several books from search result list
  • Speed up paging through the book
  • Add tool bar and splash screen on Symbian
  • Lots of small error fixes and improvements

In my quest to find anything that even comes close to a useable epub reader for my nokia 5800 I came across this app.

Call me thick as a politician but all it does is install, mention something about missing some qt elements and then it just sits there in my app list.

Can this run at all on such a comparatively primitive device? If so what am I doing wrong?

Originally Posted by wijnands View Post
In my quest to find anything that even comes close to a useable epub reader for my nokia 5800 I came across this app.

Call me thick as a politician but all it does is install, mention something about missing some qt elements and then it just sits there in my app list.

Can this run at all on such a comparatively primitive device? If so what am I doing wrong?
According to http://dorian.garage.maemo.org/
Supported phone models are the Nokia N8 and C6-01. Other Symbian^3 devices might work, but are untested.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
It might work, after installing Qt from here: ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/symbian/4...._installer.sis . But it's totally untested.

Thanks! That did the trick. It may be totally untested but I've downloaded far worse from the ovi store. As long as you put out symbian versions I'll test them.

First impression:
The application takes just a bit longer to load than zxreader but is a lot more intuitive to use, especially when you go into the options screen.
It seems very stable, only quirk I've seen so far is that having to tap the upper right corner to turn a page seems a bit counter intuitive and sometimes when you turn a page the first line is only half visible.
Only bug I've found is that rotating the phone from landscape to portrait causes the book to revert back to the beginning of the chapter. Shall I submit this as an official bug?

Congrats, you are the author of the first working epub reader for s60v5. Can I publicly announce how great this achievement is?

Last edited by wijnands; 2010-12-09 at 16:27.

well truly excellent reader congratulations

i ve epub books that are consuming huge memory and fail to load in library
can reader directly read from their stored location i.e. memory card instead of importing them

A big thanks Pipacs for all your hard work on Dorian. Since day one on the N900 I've been waiting for a great ebook reader Dorian and Mebook have fulfilled that wish and are amazing. I've been using Dorian for about a month and a half now, though on occasion switching to Mebook depending on the book I'm reading. Both have their pro's and I would love to see some of the features of Mebook added into Dorian. I'm not a programmer, not even close! If I was I'd gladly take the time to submit code for the features I would like to see. Alas,I work as a designer, so please know that I appreciate the time you've put into this program.

One of the Main features I miss when using Dorian is an option to scroll by pages instead of swiping. I know you can click on the arrows on the top right and bottom left, but it seems that having the option to switch pages with a swipe of your finger is a more elegant solution. Same with switching to full-screen mode would a double tap to switch between windowed and full-screen mode be difficult to implement? In doing this you could take away the full-screen icon from the bar on the lower right an place the library button there instead.

Another feature that I would like to see is larger cover art in the library, at the moment the cover art and title/author take up one line I wonder if it would be possible to have it so that it would take up two instead? This way you could have a larger thumbnail for the cover art and the first line for the book title and the second line for the author.

It would also be great to add the option in the library to display a thumbnail view of books on the device, such as the default media player has on the N900. This could be added as an option in settings to set your preferred view

Another thing that I think would be nice to see added in Dorian is accelerometer support for portrait/landscape with an option on the lower icon bar to toggle it on and off.

Finally, and I suppose this is just me being nitpicky but if the icons in the settings menu matched the style of the other used in Dorian it would make for a much more elegant look.

Agian, I know that you do this work in your spare time and that you don't get paid for this. I appreciate any of the work your able to do and as it is Dorian is already amazingly functional. In my opinion these changes would add to that and make it better then the type of ebook apps you see from commercial developers.

I also threw together a mock up of an icon and splash page for Dorian that I'll attach here. If you find them to your liking you're more then welcome to use. just let me know in a post and I'll send you a finalized version. They're designed as vectors so they can be used however you see fit.

Could we get instapaper importer? (sorry, garage seems to be down ATM)? That would make my life much much easier.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
dorian is my favorite reader on n900. is it possible to have dorian on diablo also? opera11 just breathed new life into n8x0.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
is there a way to open two or more book at time? In two separate and indipendent windows for example?