Active Topics

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I got my N900 from vodafone for free as a mistake. I'd ordered an iphone and it didn't turn up. Hated it at first after using it for 2 weeks, but when the iphone arrived, it went straight on ebay. That was a year and a half ago. It's got a few months warrenty left but will eventually die. N9 is not available on contract. My ideal would be transfering my N900 hardware into a different, sexy body with solid usb but that's not going to happen. Anyway, my question is what is the most open of the major operating systems. iphone is out. What's the closest to maemo in your opinion? BTW as long as my N900 lives, any upgrade will go staight on ebay.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
MeeGo!
(That was a joke.)

Why not wait for Tizen, or Meltemi? Otherwise, Android is Maemo's next best alternative. Yes it is true that it is some java crapware, but at least it is crapware built on a linux kernel. It is as well a "supported" OS, no freaking elops their to worry about.

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
MeeGo!
(That was a joke.)

Why not wait for Tizen, or Meltemi? Otherwise, Android is Maemo's next best alternative. Yes it is true that it is some java crapware, but at least it is crapware built on a linux kernel. It is as well a "supported" OS, no freaking elops their to worry about.
Have you ever bother read this forum!? Actually there is Nokia enginneers in this forum who ask for what we want to see improved on the N9.

So stop this ridicolous Elop ******** about "no support." We already knows that ELop WANT it too fail so he doing everything too make it LOOK like the N9 already dead.

But thing is:

* PR1.1 soon to roll out. PR1.2 also in the pipeline.

* Nokia Engineers ask consumers what we want to see improved in PR1.2 and PR1.3.

* Qt fully opensourced last week

* Most of the Maemo/Meego OS is opensource except some drivers. some of the SiwpeUI and core apps. But exaclty the same goes for Android.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-10-26 at 19:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
If you're talking about openness, forget any Harmattan nonsense. As for system core, Mer is going to be such open thing. Still, Mer isn't user interface - currently, Meego Community Edition is renamed to NEMO.

So, if everything is going to work out well, Mer with NEMO should be good start. There are also some other alternatives (also for Mer core) - lipstick and CordiaHD, to name few. Lipstick is promising project, but at very early stage. CordiaHD was promising at some point, but, due to project leader personality and some technical problems with running Maemo-based UI (with closed things replaced by open things) I don't think it will ever reach stable state.

Also, remember that system core and UI are NOT tied together in Open world. It is like desktop linux - You can use Debian, and then, GNOME or KDE on top of it (or whatever You find fancy). Treat Mer as Debian equivalent here - NEMO and Lipstick are UI, just like GNOME and KDE is.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: