Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hop on what? What kind of board are the so called device built upon?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hop on what? What kind of board are the so called device built upon?
Dave, shut up will ya.
At least until the phone has been released

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Dave, shut up will ya.
At least until the phone has been released

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Very rude to question my opinion of a perfect size of a phone. I hold that iPhone 4S is perferct because it fits to pockect easily and has absolutely sufficient screen size for a device I*m willing to carry with. Cause what then would be a perfect screen size and why? It is dependent of to what you use it and what you like. So WTF to my opinion was a statement not in right place.

Or maybe it is just the phone size. There is a bit space left so that the screen could still fit in the frame and that be ok of course, but I am no fan of carrying big and heavy things in my pocket and if you need a bag to carry it... Do not call it a mobile phone anymore. It becomes portable device being able to make phone calls. I would definately like a handheld with keyboard, bigger good screen and fast as roadrunner, but not needing such as a phone and liking to use a smaller phone.

Last edited by Maemish; 2018-12-19 at 21:47.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm so sad to see @HtheB going off on a tangent now
A moderator should know how to keep cool...

And for the record, [newer != better]

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
May I suggest a poll. Not related to Chen’s work but as a general assumption of our collective awareness of the best screen size which also can be compared some older once to evaluate the sweet spot movement over time.

https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...ht=Screen+size

https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...ht=Screen+size

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Let's not get the tension too high.

I'm fully aware of there being a demand of smaller screen devices, never denied it. Let's put the argument of which one is better aside, just for reality... in order to create a successful project commercially, doing a smaller screen is much much harder than, I say the mainstream size.

As a small company, on some of the parts we are relying on some standard components, not being the same as others but within a certain range of "tweak". For example, for a screen around 5.5", let's say from 5.0" to 6.0", there are plenty of suppliers to choose from, and we can modify the panel slightly to fit the sensors, we can choose the best TP, even with flex edge AMOLED despite being very expensive and hard to get.

On the other hand, if we do this device in 4" or 4.3", as many of you loved, it will be much much more difficult and risky to make it successful. First of all the modern phone has more components inside than 3G phones 10 years ago. More antennas, more sensors, even more cameras. Fitting everything in a small body plus a keyboard will make the device significantly chunkier (In modern standard, I know most people here probably won't care ) But this is not the biggest issue. The biggest problem is there is no good suppliers, all the 4" screens you can order or tweak nowadays are very poor TFT and FWVGA at its most. I know most of you probably won't care again compared with N900, but we won't have a chance to be successful if we use such poor quality screen. On the other hand, yes we can customise a new display from scratch, (my wishlist is AMOLED bezel-less and maybe 4.5 inch?) But this will involve a HUGE (I mean HUGE) front investment to make a new display product, and there will be risk of having problem here and there, and cause delays. Moreover, we need a number of shipment to supply this screen production. In general a few hundreds of thousands should be adequate, but how much units we can sell with it? It will be hard to even support this screen production, if there is no one else is using it. Unless we are Samsung or old Nokia, that can sell enough units to support production.

Making a slider phone, especially a slider phone and trying to catch up with a decent specs, quality, camera is very very costly. We have limited resources and it would be wiser we don't spend our resources creating a new screen, but on slider, camera, build quality etc.

I personally have used N810 N900 Jolla N950... I fully understand your feeling on a smaller device. I don't want to raise the argument, but at least it would be worth trying the nowadays mainstream screen size and ratio. Due to the removal of bezels it's not being as big as it sounds, but it does give a lot benefit - I can do so many more things on it than N900. Imaging running some decent part of Maemo on a 5.5" screen, it might not be the best for all (in fact there is nothing that everyone being happy with) but I would strongly advice at least give it a try.

That doesn't mean the dead of smaller screen sliders. We need to do one step at a time. So if this project is proven successful, and we have a slightly bigger scale and better resources, there is certainly a chance of having a 4" slider. But we need to get THIS product being correct first.

Last but not least, if you are disappointed about the size of the screen, and don't want to try the mainstream size, there is nothing wrong. But please regard this as the first step we need to take in order to achieve the product you want.

(And please let's keep calm)

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
So? Where I'm going ? And who is the other one...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'm so sad to see @HtheB going off on a tangent now
A moderator should know how to keep cool...
yeah sorry about that... I might be a moderator, but I'm also still a human

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And for the record, [newer != better]
That's why I said "most of the times better" and not "always better"

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Thanks for the nice explanation!
Good luck on your journey! <3

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Otherwise: You guys do NOT deserve this true N900 successor.
the device isn't out yet and you are already convinced that it is a true successor of the beast.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit