Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Sorry, I've changed my number-of-posts-per-page, so I'm not sure which post you're linking to. EDIT: do you mean http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=166 ?

I'm sure the CSSU team would appreciate anyone willing to volunteer with comms.
Yeah, definitely, a PR guy will be of use. Especially when things like ke-recv fiasco seem unavoidable having in mind the current situation with CSSU-testing maintainer.

On the other hand, having in mind lack of doers and CSSU importance on the other hand, part of the PR could be done by council. Just a random thoughts.

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-04-12 at 05:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Yeah, definitely, a PR guy will be of use. Especially when things like ke-recv fiasco seems unavoidable having in mind the current situation with CSSU-testing maintainer.

On the other hand, having in mind lack of doers and CSSU importance on the other hand, part of the PR could be done by council. Just a random thoughts.
Sure, as a council member I promote CSSU to parties outside maemo.org. I wouldn't call it PR because the general public hasn't much interest. But external collaboration with outside groups interested in FOSS on mobile devices, sure.

I've corrected the link in my post. To be more specific, the point I was trying to make is that someone called CSSU stable a joke. I empathize that merlin1991 felt compelled to respond to such a callous comment. I would like to organize internally and give better feedback to CSSU.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Sure, as a council member I promote CSSU to parties outside maemo.org. I wouldn't call it PR because the general public hasn't much interest. But external collaboration with outside groups interested in FOSS on mobile devices, sure.
But you are doing it because you feel like that, not because you have to. My point was that such promotion could be made a part of the council's duties. And it is not only the promotion, the communication with the community (whatever it means) re CSSU, could be partially assigned to council. Joining #maemo-ssu when there is a CSSU devs meeting or on regular basis(not all of the council members of course), could be made another duty to council, so the council to stay in touch with the project. Again, a random thoughts.

I've corrected the link in my post. To be more specific, the point I was trying to make is that someone called CSSU stable a joke. I empathize that merlin1991 felt compelled to respond to such a callous comment. I would like to organize internally and give better feedback to CSSU.
Yeah, the post calling CSSU stable a joke was an good example of what people who don't know/does not care could withdraw from the thin air.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I wouldn't force the council to be a promotor of a specific project in maemo.org. Sure some project's worked on here are more visible than others and attract more attention, false conclusions and so on but adding an exception to include some named project to be catered doesn't solve anything. The council's tasks already include "Facilitation: making sure that one portion of the community knows what is going on in another " [0]. To me this already covers CSSU and no extra duties are needed. As for a techincal streering group (TSG) I think that's up for the project itself to setup if needed not for the larger community. To me CSSU is a project within the community not a project by the community.

Just my 0.02

[0] http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council#Council_work

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
I wouldn't force the council to be a promotor of a specific project in maemo.org. Sure some project's worked on here are more visible than others and attract more attention, false conclusions and so on but adding an exception to include some named project to be catered doesn't solve anything. The council's tasks already include "Facilitation: making sure that one portion of the community knows what is going on in another " [0]. To me this already covers CSSU and no extra duties are needed. As for a techincal streering group (TSG) I think that's up for the project itself to setup if needed not for the larger community. To me CSSU is a project within the community not a project by the community.

Just my 0.02

[0] http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council#Council_work
Thanks for your comments. They help distill the issue. I agree that in general council shouldn't distinguish between projects. But the rub of it is this:

what if, hypothetically speaking, there was a platform-related project that was vital to the continued existence of the community? Should council help that project succeed so that the community does not die or should it treat that project the same way as it would a fart app?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Thanks for your comments. They help distill the issue. I agree that in general council shouldn't distinguish between projects. But the rub of it is this:

what if, hypothetically speaking, there was a platform-related project that was vital to the continued existence of the community? Should council help that project succeed so that the community does not die or should it treat that project the same way as it would a fart app?
Yeah. I get that but wouldn't still add any named projects to the tasks list since those tend to get the attention anyway. Don't get me wrong. I very much appriciate what the CSSU folk are doing and it is something that one can safely call an important project for the community but on the other hand IMO all the individual application developers, hackers, testers, users, etc. are pretty much equally important factors in making this a vital community. The diversity is one of the things I like about maemo.org - You can find platform hackers, application developers, users, etc. in one place.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Of course, but the council should be helping any project which needs it - but that "help" should never really extend beyond facilitation. Bigger projects need more, and ongoing, help to get more contributors.

What "facilitation" means is up to the council members and the projects involved. I do not think it would work, hypothetically, to have the council "run" the CSSU project on a day-to-day basis; it needs a continual vision, not someone who changes every six months. But the council can help with the discussions around how project management should work, and push for people to step up and suggest ways which could be taken on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: