Notices

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Apparently though there is a cache that Media Box uses and if you change or add art after you have loaded MediaBox, it doesn't change.

I am hoping pycage can give me a root command that will refresh this cache.
There is not much of a cache. The thumbnails are kept in
Code:
/home/user/.thumbnails/mediabox
The filename of the thumbnail is the md5 sum of the path string. If the modification time of a path is newer than the modification time of the thumbnail, it gets recreated. So in order to update your covers, you either
Code:
touch /path/to/your/directory/with/songs/
or simply
Code:
rm /home/user/.thumbnails/mediabox/*
The latter command completely wipes the "cache".

BTW, being able to browse to a folder and play its contents with MediaBox in the future would be great!

I ran MediaBox for four+ hours tonight in a party environment and it was incredibly useful. People who had never touched a tablet before felt right at home scrolling to music they wanted to hear and adding it to the playlist. Music ran continuously. Much like a juke box in a bar.
Thanks for telling this little success story!

Unlike a juke box though, when the last song in the playlist was played, MediaBox just kept queuing up the next song in the directory, <This is pretty cool as it needed no interaction in order to keep pumping out sound... unless that last song was from my "Stones" directory. After the 5th song in a row from them (in a directory you know holds 23 more) it kind of forces you to add to the dang playlist in order to keep you wits.
This sounds to me like a bug in the playlist handling.

As a result, my next feature request would be the ability to choose "shuffle" or "random" for the songs MediaBox plays after it runs the playlist.
This will come soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
...or simply
Code:
The latter command completely wipes the "cache".

^This did the trick.

... and BTW
Originally Posted by pycage
This sounds to me like a bug in the playlist handling.
Then simply upgrade this "bug" to a "feature".

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-07-13 at 19:37.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I am hearing every now and then (a minute sometimes less) a kind of skip in the audio stream when listening to internet radio. If I switch over to Media player to listen to the same station the audio is skip free. I have noticed that MediaBox seems to use a buffer that is smaller than Media player's buffer (unless MediaBox has a faster buffering system), could that have a bearing on the audio stream?

I have cable internet so download speed is not a factor.

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
I am hearing every now and then (a minute sometimes less) a kind of skip in the audio stream when listening to internet radio. If I switch over to Media player to listen to the same station the audio is skip free. I have noticed that MediaBox seems to use a buffer that is smaller than Media player's buffer (unless MediaBox has a faster buffering system), could that have a bearing on the audio stream?

I have cable internet so download speed is not a factor.
I try to see what can be achieved with mplayer's buffering value or maybe add an extra buffer (which would also help for ripping music and YouTube videos).

Hmm I wound up editting all my id3 tags and it still doesn't show up properly as artist > album. Even though the only remaining tags are artist, album, year, and track # ( killed the other tags).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm I wound up editting all my id3 tags and it still doesn't show up properly as artist > album. Even though the only remaining tags are artist, album, year, and track # ( killed the other tags).
Now download a jpg of the artist, resize it to 300 x 300, rename it cover.jpg, then put it in the correct directory. Media Box will read the jpg in each directory.

If they don't show up or your old art does instead...
type
Code:
in xterm @ root to clear the cache and you will be good to go.

BTW, I hope you used a batch editor instead of editing your ID's by hand...

Haha I did use a batch editor (no way I would do it by hand.. though one of my college friends once redid his entire iTunes metadata by hand when drunk though...haha).

The thing is it still shows the artist and album names in the same left column. For some of them it'll list both the artist then their albums (in the same column). Others it just lists the album name and not the artist in that column. Despite my folders being set up in that path of Artist > Album as well as the tags reflecting that (artist, album, track #, year). It's the oddest thing, I can't figure it out (unless what's really stopping it is just the .jpg of an artist. Though the ones that do show up (artist and album in the same column) have artist as a blank cd (because of no .jpg) and the album with whatever album art I have.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Haha I did use a batch editor (no way I would do it by hand.. though one of my college friends once redid his entire iTunes metadata by hand when drunk though...haha).

The thing is it still shows the artist and album names in the same left column. For some of them it'll list both the artist then their albums (in the same column). Others it just lists the album name and not the artist in that column. Despite my folders being set up in that path of Artist > Album as well as the tags reflecting that (artist, album, track #, year). It's the oddest thing, I can't figure it out (unless what's really stopping it is just the .jpg of an artist. Though the ones that do show up (artist and album in the same column) have artist as a blank cd (because of no .jpg) and the album with whatever album art I have.

Here's how it looks in MediaBox...

This is the image I use for all my recordings taken from the "B" side of old or rare 45's...

The directory structure...

The cover.jpg file that I put in each artist's sub directory...

... and finally a shot of some actual cover art @ 300 x 300 that I downloaded using Google. This one is for a group of songs by various artist's that I only want 1 or 2 songs from. I searched Google images for "1 hit wonders" and got a bunch of decent images so I picked the one that looked the best.

[

I used Google image search for most of the artist's and picked the image that I thought I would recognize the easiest in MediaBox. For instance for the 50 some odd Beatles tunes I wasn't going to use the White album image.

BTW, did I say this program ROCKS!

No dis to handfull and the hard work of all the Canola team but MediaBox is what Canola could have been if it didn't go off into Python pergatory...

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-07-16 at 02:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Ah, I think I see the difference now. Yours isn't sorted artist > album. Just artist. I guess I'll try that out (I think the other media players I use rely on ID3 tags anyway so it shouldn't mess it up to much).

MediaBox doesn't rely on ID3 tags. It reads and displays those tags if available, but the album list on the left side is simply a list of directories. Every directory with music in it is treated as an album by MediaBox.
This is quite different from other MP3 players that are sorting by tags, but I think this directory-based approach is the most user friendly and doesn't need the overhead of a database that breaks from time to time.

Tags
media player, mediabox