Active Topics

As I mentioned in this thread, I am buying a Nokia N900 sometime in November, which is about to end. Actually, within the week, I hopefully be able to have enough money to buy this mobile computer. But as the title of this thread says, I am buying a 2nd hand Nokia N900. I want to ask what are the things to check for a 2nd hand Nokia N900 before really calling the deal and paying the 2nd hand device? Like would the sliding of the keyboard should be too loose? Or will faded keyboard or pressing of keyboard should be crisp? And stuff like what are the more important things to consider?

Thank you in advance

PS: I plan to buy another or even two when time and money allows it - hopefully

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Make sure you get the right lock code, I've also heard some won't recognize sim cards. USB port shouldn't be lose or fallen off already.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
This thread should be stickied, there also was another one with some useful advice, search for it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
cosmetic condition is largely your preference.. it will help you learn the keys if they arent all rubbed away of course.

if youre examining the device physically in person, check the usb port isnt loose, the camera shutter slide works as it should and also check whether the phone crashes if you remove the back cover/memory card while it is running- I dropped my last n900 and the 32gb flash memory chip inside broke off the motherboard, so i remapped the microsd memory card to be the same function, but skype/other im never worked properly again.. the rest of the phone ran fine and worked normally but removing the back crashed it, so this would be a good way to check if this rare loose-flassh-memory problem has manifest in your purchase

some phones have white spots in the screen where some components behind the image get too hot.. it may not bother you

The Following User Says Thank You to cjard For This Useful Post:
ps thewhite spots most visible on white screens, open browser and go to google

The Following User Says Thank You to cjard For This Useful Post:
Thank you for all the responses I hopefully will be able to purchase the device around tomorrow or 2 days or so

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
there also was another one with some useful advice, search for it.
I am not sure what search string to search for it... Would it be alright to ask what should I start searching or something?

If this will be stickied, I might as well edit the first post

check the usb port of his n900 if not loose..try to plug in the pc if it detects the phone..look for scratch..screen, lcd. try the camera. the wifi and charge if it will charge..open hardware keybord. try any key if its working..check also if the slider is loos or not. thats all

qwazix, I think I found the thread you were talking about.

Thanks for the respon blitzlee06 I should write that down before meeting up with the person who is selling his N900 and check in meet up to really seal the deal. Thanks guys

Will update the 1st post when I get home. It's best that newcomers will be able to check the starting post on what are things to check buying a second hand Nokia N900

one more thing..make sure to flash it after you close the deal to delete all his file/contacts and to make it good as new..

The Following User Says Thank You to blitzlee06 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
come and post in this thread there are many useful posts there. i will post a tip on that thread.