Active Topics

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
okay i seem to be halfway there, compiled script, chmod'd it (whatever the hell that is!) ran it, fm transmitter comes on but i get an error message along the lines of Home directory /home/user not ours. i noticed your code has the sound file under usr/share... do i have to copy my sounds to that location rather than MyDocs? and if so is that a good idea? or if not wtf have i done wrong?
Point to a sound file in /home/user, that should do the trick. Assuming you have them there.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
yeah still getting the "home directory home/user not ours" error. anyway timer sorted. script for turning on transmitter sorted. gonna get a bit more practice with xterm cos from what i can see i'm pointing it in the right direction, prob a little thing like a capital letter or space out of place. i'll be back crying for help tomorrow if i spend all night failing! thanks again guys!

Well capitalization is important. If the extension is .MP3 then you can't write .mp3.

theres a reason I like Linux/maemo so much!

in less than a day we have helped this guy acheive what would probably take months if it was using another OS - becuase he'd have to wait for an app to be made and approved!

Tablet series rocks!

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
actually could the script be amended to kick in the media player and autoplay a playlist or artist, instead of just playing one file? i'm gonna keep hammering away n hopefully get a hang of this, while i'm here any links to a quick learn xterm guide?

I'm quite tempted by all this cron jobbing xterminal typing to start writing some automated processes on my device now!

For example I might do a timed connection to the internet to do updates (Windows Update Style!) and reboots, that kinda thing.

Nice one for bringing this up, might come in handy one day.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Playlists should be possible, but you need mplayer (MAFW is still something I don't know much about).
Use this instead of the play-sound line.
mplayer -playlist <playlistfile>
BUT, play-sound overrides volumes, mplayer doesn't, meaning you'd have to set the volume to 100 before going to bed (unless there's a command for changing volume, but I'm not sure about that)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Playlists should be possible, but you need mplayer (MAFW is still something I don't know much about).
Use this instead of the play-sound line.
mplayer -playlist <playlistfile>
BUT, play-sound overrides volumes, mplayer doesn't, meaning you'd have to set the volume to 100 before going to bed (unless there's a command for changing volume, but I'm not sure about that)
Great! Now all that is missing is cron, then I'm set

EDIT: Can you install the package "debianutils" to get cron?

EDIT#2: Just read this if you need cron: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fcron

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-03-26 at 17:24.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
For anybody interested: there is now a "mafw-play-list" command in extras-devel (I've compiled a special version of the mafw-renderer-example.c). You can use that to launch a playlist playing from the command line ("mafw-play-list nameOfMyList").

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."