This was addressed by someone else last October but the thread turned into a discussion about SDHC cards.

Here we go again. Installed update wizard on my Windows 2000 SP4 machine with .NET framework running.

Started the wizard and followed the instructions.

The wizard successfully found my N800 but upon clicking on the <NEXT> button, the next window displayed this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to start update

Authentication failed

The update server could not authenticate you, because your Windows clock is not on time. See Windows Help and Support for instructions on how to set the correct time

1. Set your windows clock to the correct time.

2. Use the next button to try again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, my Windows clock is synchronized with the time standard in Colorado with a NIST server program every time I turn on the computer on so it couldn't be more than a second off.

Why does the update server even care about the time?
What time is it looking for? After a certain date or before a certain date?

I'd like to upgrade my N800 to OS2008 and it shouldn’t be so hard.
Attached Images

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
No idea what's going wrong... correct year?

Maybe it would work if you download the firmware yourself here:
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php
and then use the update wizard and pick your firmware file.

The year is correct. I would be glad to install manually if I knew how. The wizard does not have an option for selecting a file (or at least I cannot get that far). Is there a procedure around to re-flash the N800 with the *.php file using Windows?

Greg

I ran into the same problem. After trying to figure it out I got ticked off at the software and hit next repeatedly. Apparently aggression works sometimes...

After a number of 'Next'-clicks the update wizard will prompt you for a local file. Now running the latest version of OS2008 on my N800.

- hts

To the person who posted the tip about pressing the button a lot until something happened: Thank you so so so much!

I've been trying to update my N770 to the OS2008 and it just wasn't letting me flash it because my time was incorrect. I spent forever trying to figure out how to sync my clock so that the software would let me update, it never occurred to me that clicking it to death would let me do it anyways. Thanks again!

All,

In my case, instead of hitting the keyboard like mad; I adjusted my windows clock back 1 hour and the update wizard allowed
me to continue to flash my n800. Why 1 hour work? I have no idea, but with my windows
network setup, it has not failed me yet. I picked one hour initially because I thought I had not
corrected the time clock for the day-light saving changes. I live in Eastern Standard Time zone,

good luck

Last edited by cheve; 2008-04-11 at 15:22.

I think this has something to do with the software checking the date to download the latest release.

So, just download the firmware file you want from the link below. Then before starting the update wizard go to Control Panel > Network Connections and disable all connections. Run the wizard, select the firmware file you just downloaded, and enable your network connections again after the update is finished.

That should do it.

Originally Posted by technut View Post

Maybe it would work if you download the firmware yourself here:
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php
and then use the update wizard and pick your firmware file.

The Following User Says Thank You to kellychristoffersen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kellychristoffersen View Post
I think this has something to do with the software checking the date to download the latest release.

So, just download the firmware file you want from the link below. Then before starting the update wizard go to Control Panel > Network Connections and disable all connections. Run the wizard, select the firmware file you just downloaded, and enable your network connections again after the update is finished.

That should do it.
It DID do it. And many thanks for your insight.

I swear by the gods Neptune and Jupiter and all others that these @!$(*@&# computers have taken 3 years off my life and given me my white hair...

Can I ask do any of you who see this error message also have Linux as a dual boot on your PC/laptop?

I'm getting the same error on my laptop AND my PC, the only connection I can make is that it's a dual boot system and linux sets (or does not set) the hardware UTC or something - if i let liunx set the utc time then linux and windows time keeps jumping 1 hour ahead and messing up; a different problem but I'm sure they are related, I'm sure this update checks the bios time.

Try removing battery from bios/reset bios, then set the time and then boot DIRECTLY into windows ONLY.

Last edited by rash.m2k; 2008-10-29 at 16:34.

Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
It DID do it. And many thanks for your insight.
Me too. What badly written software!

This is a much more sensible solution than the usual "press the Next button until your finger aches" approach for kicking the wizard into manual (and which didn't work for me anyway).