Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Just to clear some things up:

I made this thread cause i felt the flaming/bashing was getting worse here on TMO. The problem with comparing is that if the situation you compare to is worse off, then the situation you got will seem fine up against the other situation. Though that wont change the situation you are unhappy with in any and way it will stay the same. You might see it in a different light, but still the same situation you didn't like to begin with.
E.g. I live in Denmark, lets say I'm unhappy with something in society and people tell me that peole are worse off in a lot of other countries that doesn't solve my unhappyness and things wont change if you do like this. It's just sad that they're even worse of and further away from a greater living standard.

The essence of this thread is to shed some light on my obsavations and how I feel this community is getting more abusing posters regardeless of the reasons to it.
The thing is (I think it was Vi_ who said something about action/reaction) when you interact with people theres an act and you react on that. No matter how much you try to argument that it was ok to bash/flame somebody cause of their statement/post it is still wrong. You and only you choose how to react on a certain situation. It's understandable to react aggressively when approached with aggression, but you can argue all day long about how it is the persons own falt and it still won't make the bashing/flaming acceptable/allright.

So my point is you have to take the responsebility to be the better peson no matter what the other person is like and I'm not saying you should let people stump all over you. You can easily tell people with a freindly tone that they crossed the line or violating forum rules or asking the same question for XX time.

It's very simple address people as you wished to be addressed.

@somedude to answer your question. No this is not started on the basis of your post the other day. These two situations has no relation and I've been thinking about this for a while. The only thing was that I qouted your statement as i thought it was cool and collected. That's it.

@Estel why do you think this thread should be closed and why don't you think it should've been started in the first place?

Nice to see people are chipping in with their views on the subject it's very good reading imo and we are different and see things different and that's the beauty of diversity. Really. I just wish people would try better to behave accordingly.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
oh, a troll thread well, who cares

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
Care to elaborate?

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
Touche!

Putting it in a nutshell: Forum Etiquette.

Being a member for some time (and being on the recieving end of some of the stuff being discussed here.....although not as much as some). I know where Dousan is coming from.

I've made some gaffs here too. I've been guilty of fanboyism and I've also had the "F***off and buy an iPhone or Android if you want to do that". But, being the easy going guy that I am I've just let it go.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
There's no lack of tolerance at all. The main problem is, some people are just not polite and start demanding stuff from other users and developers. Did you check the wazzap thread leading up to release? It was a circus. If people behave like children then they can't complain if they're treated as such. Sorry but it's just the way it is. TMO is still a friendly place in my opinion and most people will get along fine with other members. Also, most will help if you ask nicely. Like Stickymick said, it's a matter of forum etiquette. It just so happens that some people are unfamiliar with the concept in the first place.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Acidspunk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
There's no lack of tolerance at all. The main problem is, some people are just not polite and start demanding stuff from other users and developers. Did you check the wazzap thread leading up to release? It was a circus. If people behave like children then they can't complain if they're treated as such. Sorry but it's just the way it is. TMO is still a friendly place in my opinion and most people will get along fine with other members. Also, most will help if you ask nicely. Like Stickymick said, it's a matter of forum etiquette. It just so happens that some people are unfamiliar with the concept in the first place.
After reading the "circus" it felt as if a hoard of rude teens had barged their way in. A reassuring sense of anonymity made them feel they could just spout rudeness and not have to deal with the repercussions.

The fact is, this is a great forum, with some REALLY great people in it who are patient, helpful, and jolly good fun. Maybe once these new kids realize that this isn't like those Android forums (that they just came from) where people appear for a couple of idiotic posts then disappear forever - only popping up again with a new username - they will appreciate the deep commitment and love for TMO the seasoned users have and may even reap the benefits of those users' helpful insight.
That's the worst sentence I've ever written, but I'm hungover and I know you get my drift.

Be nice. Get help. People here are awesome. Coffee.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Fanboys are fanboys, and some are like passionate members of a soccer club, some resort to thuggery at times. The problem with fanboyism is that it distorts reality around them. Without opposing views, one may think that N9 and N900 are the best selling phones of all times and that Elop is the most evil person in the world, and if anyone dare otherwise, he is a Ballmer patsy.

The healthiest and perhaps most difficult exchange is to keep arguments at what they are:arguments, and not to deteriorate into personal slugfests.

Tolerance is a sign of civilized forum, and for the most part, it is fairly tolerant here, although some of the moderators do show bias and favor and sprinkle penalty points to views they dont like. The best way is to moderate arguments by enforcing penalties for offensive language and for being neutral to the argument itself. That will require educating moderators themselves of what is right and wrong.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
It's not about expressing your opinion. There is difference, when you politely say what you think, and there are facts, and there are some thoughts, but you need to know place and time.

I think it's more disrespectful to others when you do not follow common internet/forum rules, and post before you search, when you start new threads for things that exist. It's like saying that your opinion/post/thread is better than one already made. That they instead of search they easy on start the new topic, that means they appreciate their time more valuable than others.

That's just disrespect and not about opinions...
In my humble opinion, that happens everywhere on world wide web. Some people didnt check thoroughly, or didnt use the right keywords to search. Just point them in right direction.
In other forums, there are people who complain/critize/answer rudely about the answers/replies given when it's...free advise,people already kind enough to spend time to answer & help. Oops could have some here too as I dont go thru all the threads

For the trolls, there's always the ignore button.

The Following User Says Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
We all have our different foibles; some of us aren't very tolerant, some of us don't know how to search; many of us need to adjust our behavior to accommodate others who don't think exactly like we do. IDon't think we need more outside intervention in the form of moderation; we need to continue working on our interior moderators.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
The problem is new maemo famboys being fed by older maemo fanboys. Simply put, just because you know how to fix some config files, this doesn't make you less fanboy. Or I'm a Linux guy, therefore I have the right to be a fanboy without questoin.

IMO anyone who think Linux/maemo/N9/N900 is best just because it is linux or open source or any other esoteric reason is a fanboy.

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway